---------------------
Glyph of Charge
Glyph of Battle
Glyph of Bloodrage

06-01-10, 04:19 AM   #2362
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nice concept and layout Ferous, but there are a lot of things which are out of alignment or just messy. Pauen, I really like the way you've used portraits here, as well as the minimap. I am still against putting the minimap in odd places like that, but I have to say it looks pretty decent. However, the borders look a bit too strong and it looks like your pixel font is one size too small. (Or one size too big in the case of your chat.) And TinyDPS doesn't really have any kind of alignment to anything, it's just... there.

Come on guys, let's start posting C&C rather than just 'OHAI I HAS SCREENSHOT'.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

06-01-10, 04:48 AM   #2363
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Nice concept and layout Ferous, but there are a lot of things which are out of alignment or just messy.
You're a bit vague on that :P What is messy or out of alignment? :P You haven't shown any in-comnbat shots of your UI yet

06-01-10, 05:29 AM   #2364
Wella

Okay, well first off I like your use of gradients overall, I think you're pretty good with them and I don't usually see them used so well as an important part of an interface rather than just an addition or a garnish. I have also always enjoyed your use of colour and how you can use colour to bring what may have previously been a somewhat 'lifeless' UI 'to life'. The overall layout is very much common sense, which is of course a good thing.

However, in terms of things being a bit messy, well, there are quite a few, but each of them are fairly small. The pixel fonts you're using for what I assume is OmniCC aren't scaled well (i.e. are fuzzy), the de/buffs around your frames seem to be arranged somewhat randomly and at varying spaces from the frames, thus taking away any possibility of an overall alignment and that icon to the left of your target frame makes the threat text seem off-center. I'm also still trying to work out which way your status bars grow, which colour is the background, etc.

So there!

Also yeah, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to get a quick screenshot in to get myself back on topic, really. I'm working on my UI a bit more at the moment and will upload a couple of screenshots soon.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-01-10, 05:39 AM   #2365
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Okay, well first off I like your use of gradients overall, I think you're pretty good with them and I don't usually see them used so well as an important part of an interface rather than just an addition or a garnish. I have also always enjoyed your use of colour and how you can use colour to bring what may have previously been a somewhat 'lifeless' UI 'to life'. The overall layout is very much common sense, which is of course a good thing.

However, in terms of things being a bit messy, well, there are quite a few, but each of them are fairly small. The pixel fonts you're using for what I assume is OmniCC aren't scaled well (i.e. are fuzzy), the de/buffs around your frames seem to be arranged somewhat randomly and at varying spaces from the frames, thus taking away any possibility of an overall alignment and that icon to the left of your target frame makes the threat text seem off-center. I'm also still trying to work out which way your status bars grow, which colour is the background, etc.

So there!

Also yeah, I'm sorry, but I just wanted to get a quick screenshot in to get myself back on topic, really. I'm working on my UI a bit more at the moment and will upload a couple of screenshots soon.
I wanted to /poke yah and I knew you would answer :P

With the OmniCC text.. I forgot to change it to the font i'm using it now >.> lol Umm... With the buffs and debuffs that are 'randomly' placed aren't randomly placed, but they seem that way because well..... I haven't found a home for them yet But they are aligned in terms of being mirror imaged from each other, but I'll have to see what I can do in terms of finding a home for them :P In terms of pixel perfect, well... My UI ain't made for being pixel perfect because its not extremely minimal but I do try at least, to get it nice and sharp, though its hard to do all the time :P

Thank you for the feedback thus far! :P I will see to that I fix some things up though for sure and thank you for the compliments towards my gradients and colors

06-01-10, 07:21 AM   #2366
Wella

Heeeeey, get your old avatar back!

Back on topic, it is indeed hard to 'find a home' for de/buffs. I am currently having my buffs above the frames and growing off to the left, with the debuffs below the frames, also growing to the left. My tracked buffs & debuffs have their own little bars in the center of the screen. It's all about keeping your spacing and padding with everything consistent - those two things play a huge part in how well laid out a UI can feel.

Good luck and I look forward to more screenshots soon!
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-01-10, 10:12 AM   #2367
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Whenever I can't "find a home" for my own buffs I just hide them altogether and use Filger or Power Auras to show the ones I'm most interested in.

Also, Fer, your boss timer bars are overlapping your buffs. <3

06-01-10, 11:20 AM   #2368
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yes, it is just you, you are a freak of nature. Just like a troll.

Nah, only kidding. I just took a screenshot to get back on topic, master. This UI is only at the very start of production. I thought I'd try something a little different this time (heh, how ironically topical)

-snip-
I'm on the verge of loving it, but I'm not exactly there, but I really like it.

edit: Your UI I mean ofc.

06-01-10, 12:31 PM   #2369
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
Whenever I can't "find a home" for my own buffs I just hide them altogether and use Filger or Power Auras to show the ones I'm most interested in.

Also, Fer, your boss timer bars are overlapping your buffs. <3
I know :P Shows you how much I raid! hahaha >.>

06-01-10, 02:00 PM   #2370
Wella

Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
I'm on the verge of loving it, but I'm not exactly there, but I really like it.

edit: Your UI I mean ofc.
<3 Just for you:

The player frame is on the left, target's on the right, ToT is in the middle, combo points there in the middle too, buffs above and debuffs below the player/target frames, my tracked buffs with bars on the left & debuffs on the right, then the standard incoming/outgoing scrolling battle text.

Starting on the raid frames soon. Also, would anyone like to recommend what I do with the quest watcher? (I'm using WFWW, of course.)
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-01-10, 03:43 PM   #2371
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I don't like the information being displayed in the combat text, it's too much and too long. It's kinda distracting as well seeing how small the unit frames are compared to the text.

06-01-10, 04:16 PM   #2372
Wella

When you say the 'information', what exactly do you mean? Maybe you think it would be better to remove the unit names, or reduce the height of the MSBT frames?

Edit: Waaaait a minute, that weren't no C&C, that was a complaint!

Only kidding, but still, I'd love to hear more comments and constructive criticism from you and anybody else.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

Last edited by Wella : 06-01-10 at 04:25 PM.

06-02-10, 01:01 AM   #2373
Kendian
A Molten Giant

In combat

Ive tried to make it less chaotic, but CAN'T LET GO, rofl. C&C welcome, please~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deathwhisper 10man.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	4351  

06-02-10, 02:37 AM   #2374
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
ZOMG I'm starting to raid again!

06-02-10, 03:10 AM   #2375
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

<3 Just for you:

The player frame is on the left, target's on the right, ToT is in the middle, combo points there in the middle too, buffs above and debuffs below the player/target frames, my tracked buffs with bars on the left & debuffs on the right, then the standard incoming/outgoing scrolling battle text.

Starting on the raid frames soon. Also, would anyone like to recommend what I do with the quest watcher? (I'm using WFWW, of course.)
GIEF FONT NAME OR DOWNLOAD NAO!

06-02-10, 03:32 AM   #2376
Wella

Woah there, tiger. It's called Semplice Regular.

@Kendian: You UI certainly is a little hectic, but I like what you've done in terms of modifying RothUI, or rather, using the same orbs and target frames. First of all, I'd say you need to make the action bars connect with the health & power orbs, although the artwork on the orbs themselves is pretty nice. I'd also say you need to decide on a single padding and a single general width, so that you can apply these things to all (or most) of the elements in your UI to give it a much less hectic feel. You also seem to have target battle text in two places. Oh, and remove the stuff behind the chat box and combat log, they are never good. Maybe change the fonts around, they seem a bit hard to read in a flash, make your tooltips around 30-40% transparent, change up your minimap border... Can't think of anything else right now, but I just woke up. Sorry.

Ferous, I really like it. A lot. Although, on second thought, the gradients around the action buttons could do with a small reduction in contrast. Also, I do hope you realise that you've overlayed a de/buff icon with what I assume is the party frame. Speaking of which, the font there is impossible to read. Impossible. You raped it. Oh, and you might want to colour the DPS names by class at least, since the font used for your names is quite small, it would just help with readability (I also use an empty bar texture for DPS and threat now). It might also be worth removing the title text and buttons, since you never actually look at the text (especially with it being so illegible as you have it there) and all of the buttons can be replaced with '/recount something' commands.

Also, it's more of a nag, but some of your elements aren't perfectly aligned, like your chat and combat log are off by a couple of pixels and I know it's purposeful, but you might want to try moving the target name down so that it's centred, it seems a bit off-putting where it is at the moment.

But overall, good stuff, both of you!
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

Last edited by Wella : 06-02-10 at 03:52 AM.

06-02-10, 03:45 AM   #2377
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
You know what Nightcracker.. these fonts are apart of Ferous Media... Just to let you know >.>

06-02-10, 04:07 AM   #2378
Wella

Exactly. Shame on you. >:(
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-02-10, 04:10 AM   #2379
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

@Wella:
Imo you really need to work with borders a bit. Like the minimap, actionbars and unitframes. It makes them stick out more and makes it way easier to identify quickly imo.
Filter your buffs, it's nice that you have your buffs and debuffs close to your UF. But you really don't have to see every buff you have at that place. Imo position the 'useless' buffs somewhere else and place the important buffs (procs, talents, whatever lets a rogues boat float ....) near your unitframe. Also put a border on them so they stick out more.
The hardest thing in your UI imo is identifying all the elements because it's all a bit crowded, every font is the same (which is good ofcourse) but nothing that you have to know really sticks out. It's just 1 big box of information.

@Ferous:
Is this UI made specifically for every raidrole, or just for your rogue? Cause if it's for your rogue then you can minimize everything by 50% imo.
HUGE raidframes for a tank or DPS. Quite big unit frames in general. And I don't quite see where your target debuffs are going too.
Also your Focus Frame is 1 pixel bigger then your own frame + it's overlapping with your debuffs?
Then your buffs, they are overlapping the top art. Why? I mean at the bottom art nothing get's overlapped. Same for the minimap tbh.
Also the mail text seems so random, all the other things are shown in the bottom bar, why not the mail text too? Why do you even show all those texts? I mean mail could easily be done with a small mailbox icon on the minimap when you have mail. Durability? Just open character screen for 2 seconds and you know it. The text that displays the zone you are, do you EVER use it? Normally you know what zone you're in anyway.
Combat log. I never understood why people use it. In a fight it goes WAY to fast to actually follow, plus if you have to follow it it means you ain't watching the actual combat, thus you're slacking. It isn't even anywhere near the information you should be tracking in combat (Unit Frames, cooldowns, boss timers, ...). I mean, if you're obsessed of knowing how you died or anything else it's easy enough to search for it after combat. But imo it surely doesn't need to be placed in the UI constantly.

And last of all, you should post an actual in combat screenshot with timers and people loosing health and all that stuff.

06-02-10, 04:16 AM   #2380
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

And sicne i bashed 2 peoples UI's I guess I'll post mine atm.

http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_5_29_17_17_9h4rb.png
25 man non combat

http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_5_29_17_32_44f4jv.png
25 man in combat.

basically nothing that special as it's carebears layout mostly (well, the bosstimers are) reworked for my personal (tanking) needs made with an edited version of ouf_nin (I love you nin)

Simple, effective, little but needed information. Works perfect for tanking and dps'ing.

NOW BASH IT, BASH IT HARD!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...