04-24-10, 12:57 PM   #1
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
MyMedia not registering certain fonts.

So here's the deal. I have been having issues adding a specific font to the mymedia section of shared media. I copy the files to the font folder. Open my media and register it (add the necessary lines) and save the changes.

Now when i log in all my addons that use shared media see the names of the fonts i entered but when i select them they dont change. The name of the font however seems to randomly change the font *it* uses within the list every time i try to select it.

It's not the first time ive added a font. And to make sure I'm not totally crazy i added another one i randomly picked up on one of the font sites i visit and added in line right after the one with the issue. it works just fine.

Ive tried renaming the font file name thinking there might be a conflict elsewhere. Tried using a different tag (name i gave it in shared media)for it. I have triple checked the spelling and location of the file. For some reason it just doesnt work.

Even installed the font in windows and it works.
Not sure what the issue is.

The font is called Radio Space. the actual font file is radiofbi.ttf

And the line I'm adding to mymedia is as follows:

Code:
SharedMedia:Register("font", "Radio Bold", [[Interface\Addons\SharedMedia\MyMedia\Font\Radiofbi.ttf]])
Any idea why this wouldn't work?

For giggles heres a link to the file if anyone is feeling frisky.

http://www.dafont.com/radio-space.font

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 04-24-10 at 01:01 PM. Reason: gremlins made me do it.
04-24-10, 03:44 PM   #2
Grungra
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hi, I believe a while back they did an overhaul of the way sharemedia works, they made it so you could create a different folder with your fonts, borders etc outside the sharedmedia folder. Might want to head to wow ace and download the updated version, inside the addon there's a batch file that will automate the creation of the new folder and add your own media to it. For example the new way to add a new font would be:

Code:
LSM:Register("font", "Prototype", [[Interface\Addons\SharedMedia_MyMedia\font\proto.ttf]])
As you can see the media you add is saved to a different folder, so any change to sharedmedia wouldn't affect the ones you have added.

Hope that helps.

Grungra
04-24-10, 04:26 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

The only difference between the method you posted and the one I'm using is your way registers the added media directly in the SharedMedia Lua (which is subject to overwirites for updates). While my way the media additions are registered in a separate Lua file called MyMedia and is not included in the default download so no risk of overwrites. Both methods work.

From the MyMedia Instructions document: (freshly downloaded off of wowace for accuracy)

a) WINDOWS

1. rename MyMedia.bat.txt to MyMedia.bat (make sure to have Windows set to show all file extentions)

2. run MyMedia.bat to create the folders

3. put your media files into the subfolders found at World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\SharedMedia_MyMedia

4. run MyMedia.bat again to create the MyMedia.lua file registering your files
I just enter the lines manually and use a different folder name which doesn't break the process.

The trick here is MOST of the fonts I add work just fine. The occasional odd one like the one posted above just doesn't for some reason. Shortly after i posted I went and added 6 more fonts all successfully.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to why certain files simply don't work and a possible solution.

I appreciate the effort though

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 04-24-10 at 04:27 PM. Reason: muffins!
04-24-10, 06:26 PM   #4
Grungra
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Essentially both methods work just as you stated, perhaps it's just a matter as simple as following the same letter case of your directory, I notice the path on your example mentions Font as the directory, perhaps if you use font instead of Font or however your actual directory is named, it might get rid of your troubles.

Grungra
04-24-10, 06:29 PM   #5
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I've run into this problem before, and I think it's a file size problem. If you take a look at the size of the fonts that don't work, they'll be hundreds of kbs instead of the tens of kbs for the fonts that do work.

It's possible because more professional fonts often have a larger variety of characters/styles bundled together and I think WoW has trouble reading it.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be a file size problem. I tried installing it as well, and it wasn't working either.

Last edited by xandora : 04-24-10 at 06:37 PM.
04-24-10, 06:48 PM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Grungra View Post
Essentially both methods work just as you stated, perhaps it's just a matter as simple as following the same letter case of your directory, I notice the path on your example mentions Font as the directory, perhaps if you use font instead of Font or however your actual directory is named, it might get rid of your troubles.

Grungra
Yeah i have it matching. the folder in the mymedia folder is Font. I tend to try and copy exactly as things are or im likely to overlook it as an issue later on. Appreciate the effort as always though.

Originally Posted by xandora View Post
I've run into this problem before, and I think it's a file size problem. If you take a look at the size of the fonts that don't work, they'll be hundreds of kbs instead of the tens of kbs for the fonts that do work.

It's possible because more professional fonts often have a larger variety of characters/styles bundled together and I think WoW has trouble reading it.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be a file size problem. I tried installing it as well, and it wasn't working either.
I thought it might be an issue as most of the fonts I have installed are even smaller than the one im having an issue with. Then i noticed i have 2 fonts over 300kb in size and both load ok. Ill just have to accept that I'm doomed not to use that font lol.

All ideas and input are very much appreciated, Thanks =)

04-25-10, 12:19 AM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
. Ill just have to accept that I'm doomed not to use that font lol.
Yeah, I had the exact same problem with a "pixel" font I got from a site posted on the WoW.com forums. I don't remember what the site was or even which thread it was in or the name of the font (getting older isn't just about getting fat and bald, y'know! ;>) ). I just remember having the exact same problem and getting extremely frustrated. Finally just deleted it off my HDD and called it even. The irritating thing (for me, anyway) is that that is the only pixel font I've ever wanted to use. Figures. <shrug>
04-25-10, 12:54 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
My guess was that it was actually an .otf font (WoW doesn't read these), but the file extension and preview window both say .ttf. I'm not sure what the issue is. If you try a different font from the series does it work? How about if you rename the font file? What if you try registering ONLY this font and none of the others?

(PS - the new method for MyMedia doesn't change the SharedMedia .lua file directly. )
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-25-10, 01:15 AM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Yeah i tried all the fonts in the series with the same result. Even renamed it a few different ways. Havent tried registering it by itself. As much as i like the font its not absolutely critical to my layout so i havent bothered.

And i agree its likely a mislabeled otf file. Ill do some digging and see if there is a way to convert it just because. =)

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

EDIT: Found a program that can do it. It is however primarily designed for linux/mac called FontForge. Its available on sourceforge.
EDIT2: So after dinking around i found a program that was far easier to use which recognized the fiel as .ttf. So i resaved it and the result is the same. Seems it doesnt jive well with wow for some reason.

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 04-25-10 at 02:24 AM. Reason: eureka!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MyMedia not registering certain fonts.