06-26-08, 06:05 PM   #1
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Avenger's Shield & Mazzle_Layouts.lua

I've been trying to get Avenger's Shield to be placed during the button layout process, but I can't seem to get it to pop up. Please note, I've downloaded the BC Spells optional files, however, from searching it would appear that support for the BC Spells is rather limited (or won't be forthcoming until WotLK).

I've followed the pattern as laid forth in the Mazzle_Layouts.lua file - it seems simple enough and I have been successful in rebinding certain spells to different buttons that suit my taste so they don't break on the next Mazzification process. I've even successfully added a bit of logic for the Turn Undead / Turn Evil abilities just following the examples laid forth - not that it's any great feat. The code is there for the Avenger's Shield - as well as other spec specific abilities, however, that particular button seems stubbornly shy and doesn't want to jump onto the main stage.

Is there something that I'm missing? Perhaps I've bumped into the 120 button limitation so this won't show up? Or maybe there's an issue with that particular button not being assigned an ID (a customization thing that Mazzlefizz added to bongos). Since I don't mind learning & tinkering, it'd be great if I could get a gentle nudge as to what else I should be looking at in the code.

In file Mazzifier/Mazzle_Layouts.lua this is the code for (what I assume to be) Bar 2 in the MazzlePaladin_16 section where it appears Avenger's Shield should show up.

Code:
		[2] = {
			["contents"] = {
				["page_1"] = {
					[5] = {
						["binding"] = "7",
					},
					[1] = {
						["binding"] = "3",
						["action"] = "Cleanse",
					},
					[2] = {
						["binding"] = "4",
						["action"] = "Purify",
					},
					[3] = {
						["binding"] = "5",
						["action"] = "Lay on Hands",
					},
					[4] = {
						["binding"] = "6",
						["action"] = "Divine Intervention",
					},
					[6] = {
						["binding"] = "8",
					},
				},
				["page_2"] = {
					[5] = {
						["action"] = "Holy Wrath",
					},
					[1] = {
						["action"] = "Hammer of Wrath",
					},
					[2] = {
						["action"] = {
							[2] = "Holy Shock",
							[1] = "Consecration",
							[3] = "Repentance",
						},
					},
					[3] = {
						["action"] = {
							[1] = "Repentance",
							[2] = "Holy Shock",
                                                        [3] = "Avenger's Shield",
						},
					},
					[4] = {
						["action"] = "Exorcism",
					},
					[6] = {
						["action"] = {
                                                        [2] = "Turn Undead",
                                                        [1] = "Turn Evil",
                                                }
					},
				},
			},
			["buttonSize"] = 35,
			["rows"] = 1,
			["hideEmpty"] = 1,
			["name"] = "BActionBar2",
			["anchor"] = {
				["y"] = 0,
				["x"] = 13,
				["point"] = "LEFT",
				["frame"] = "BActionBar1",
				["to"] = "RIGHT",
			},
			["allowDuplicates"] = true,
			["numButtons"] = 6,
			["pages"] = 2,
		},
At face value, I would assume that it should work. However, not being intimately familiar with scripting in general - let alone lua & wow scripting - I could be terribly wrong.

I have thought about maybe moving the code to any of the empty buttons/bindings listed there BUT that wouldn't seem to address the issue of that original button not showing up. Meaning, if I can't get the orignal button to appear, why would the new placements appear if I move the code ...

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for work arounds (like putting Avenger's Shield on the context menu or binding through Spellbinder as I've already done these things) ... I'm looking to preserve continuity of code.
06-27-08, 10:35 AM   #2
DocEVL
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Button layout

Looking at how you have it configured yes it should work but depending on what spells you have it may or may not.

If it does show up it would show up in the 3rd button slot on bar #2. However given the way it is configured it is possible that something else would show up there let me explain... You also btw have it on page 2 not page one so will only show up in whatever stance etc uses page 2.

If you loko at your code:

[2] = {
["action"] = {
[2] = "Holy Shock",
[1] = "Consecration",
[3] = "Repentance",
},
},
[3] = {
["action"] = {
[1] = "Repentance",
[2] = "Holy Shock",
[3] = "Avenger's Shield",

On page 2 of bar 2 you will have Holy Shock on button 2 if you have that spell, otherwise it will be concentration, followed by repentence if you do not have either of the first two spells. That being said button 3 is the same thing. If you have both Holy Shock and Repentence then those will show up in button 2 and button 3. So basically id you have Holy Shock and Repentance or Concentration then Avenger's Shield will never show up because the other spells take precedence.

06-27-08, 05:05 PM   #3
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thank you, DovEvl, for your reply.

As a note, I will not take credit for the code as it is originally the author of "Mazzle BC Spells!" who modified Mazzlefizz's layouts. I just made some minor tweaks to suit my tastes.

That being said, I understand what you're getting at. To be honest, I didn't realize that there was an issue with this particular button until I finally acquired an ability that was assigned to it.

The button to which Consecrate is assigned to is showing up just fine. I would think that if I changed the priorities and had the abilities, I could have Holy Shock or Repentance appear on that button. I tested this theory with a button that was already in place for Turn Dead. Which worked or I assume it did because now Turn Evil is in its place after Mazzification.

The problem, I suspect, is that the button that the layout is trying to assign Avenger's Shield to is not being reserved on the page and/or bar. I'm sure the crazy gnome would put the ability where the layout says the button should be ... but alas, the button isn't there so she discards that bit of code.

With that in mind, I do understand that troubleshooting this may be for naught should MazzleUI transition to a new Action Bar. However, I'm operating under the premise that if I want to keep this UI, I should probably learn how to maintain and modify it myself with the help, of course, of those with far superior coding skills and understanding than I.

I really do appreciate your attention on this matter and any more helpful insights or a nudge towards what I should look at specifically would be graciously accepted. =)

Last edited by iocontrol : 06-27-08 at 05:26 PM. Reason: OCD
06-29-08, 07:34 PM   #4
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Closed

Just to follow up ... the button now seems to be working correctly.

I'm thinking that despite the Mazzifier just reading the file (Mazzle_Layouts.lua), a full restart of the WoW client is still required to get the changes to work properly. The only other change I made that I _think_ might have made any difference is the order of appearance in the actual text.

Where it was:

[2] = Holy Shock
[1] = Repentance
[3] = Avenger's Shield

I changed it to actually be

[1] = Avenger's Shield
[2] = Holy Shock
[3] = Repentance

Any hoo, thought I'd share that bit ...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Avenger's Shield & Mazzle_Layouts.lua