09-16-08, 09:46 PM   #21
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
His post was actually not about installing in a different directory but rather making the addons folder a symbolic link to a different unprotected directory. The trick is, while NTFS does support links (though they call them junctions and its closer to a hard link than symbolic), there is no way of actually making them from a out of the box windows install. As I understand it there ARE 3rd party programs out there to create junctions, but I have never used one.
I actually doubt you'll get anyone to try this however. I'm sure the developers have already solved this problem one was or another for themselves, and your average user probably doesn't understand what the devil you mean by a symbolic link.
09-16-08, 11:17 PM   #22
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Junctions are hard links and because of that way too dangerous. Example: I was actually using them to avoid synching addons all the time between live and PTR subfolders, until there was some new patch release which wiped the PTR subfolder and because of the junction my actual live addons folder too You could use either the official linkd or the "junction" exe someone made. None of this was perfectly safe before. Vista does support safe junctions and also actual symbolic links.

Last edited by Kaomie : 09-16-08 at 11:25 PM.
09-16-08, 11:24 PM   #23
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
His post was actually not about installing in a different directory but rather making the addons folder a symbolic link to a different unprotected directory.
Okay I misunderstood; I thought he was symlinking the entire WoW directory.

In any case, NTFS has always supported junctions so it's not a real issue, and there are (albeit difficult-to-use) Microsoft-created utilities for them (and "dir" natively supports them, for example). I do think this might be something a bit risky, though. Certainly an option, though.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
11-29-08, 04:12 PM   #24
FakePlasticTreefingers
A Murloc Raider
WoW -> Program Files

As it said above, when WoW is saved In Program Files, addons won't work (Or at least that is how I comprehended it).

So my question is...

My WoW file is located in the "Program Files". Is it necessary for me to uninstall WoW and then reinstall it somewhere else in order for it to work with add ons? Or is there another way?
11-29-08, 04:24 PM   #25
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You just have to ask your question in one spot. I answered you in the other thread.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-19-09, 12:34 PM   #26
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

The UAC might be ok if most users read what it was doing and saying and click no when they should, but my experience with the common Vista user, they don't read, they just allow . . .

So what good is it to put something on your system that when it pops up and says this program can do dangerous things, do you want to run it anyway . . .?

And people just ignore it and allow it, no sense in having the UAC if the average user can just click yes without knowing what they are allowing.
04-19-09, 02:30 PM   #27
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Tearstar View Post
The UAC might be ok if most users read what it was doing and saying and click no when they should, but my experience with the common Vista user, they don't read, they just allow . . .

So what good is it to put something on your system that when it pops up and says this program can do dangerous things, do you want to run it anyway . . .?

And people just ignore it and allow it, no sense in having the UAC if the average user can just click yes without knowing what they are allowing.
No system can ever be secure without the help of the user. Just because some users are 'tards does not mean that it doesn't benefit others, and therefore should not be included.
07-21-09, 12:07 PM   #28
sihde
A Kobold Labourer
I found this helpfull but alittle confusing.The easyiest way I found to get addons working was just right clicking on desktop wow icon and using open file location.This opened up public files games.That's where I found all my wow files and just added my addon to the interface and it worked.Maybe this will help someother peoples out. Quarko
05-22-12, 06:12 PM   #29
evolvtyon
A Kobold Labourer
Is it still necessary to do all this or is the wow client already patched to support user account control ?

Thanks

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Vista Users - UAC and You