09-04-08, 05:08 AM   #1
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Pre-populated item cache

We know that the item cache is deleted after every patch, so this suggestion is about providing a pre-populated item cache as part of the patch.

The reason behind this suggestion is that addons like AtlasLoot or like mine (Altoholic), cannot rely on the accuracy of GetItemInfo as the item might not be in the cache. Querying the server to get item information is thus required, and there's a risk of being disconnected if done too often.

For instance, an addon like mine allows the user to find upgrades for his equipment, thus if we assume he's looking at upgrades for level 28 gear, he might potentially find upgrades in gnomeregan.. but if the item id's are unknown, the addon won't return them as potential upgrades.

Thus the idea would be to have a cache that already contains a lot of item id's, obviously not the most recent additions (like the most recent pvp season, or the latest raid dungeon), since I assume Blizzard wants to prevent data mining, but a solid selection of items such as all instance blues & above would certainly help, and would not require any code change in the wow client.

The same idea could be applied to spells, especially those that relate to professions.

Last edited by Thaoky : 09-04-08 at 05:11 AM.
09-04-08, 06:42 AM   #2
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

A possibility would be to create a "ItemCache" Library. I think that there's already a Babble lib for items, but I'm not sure...
09-04-08, 06:44 AM   #3
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
Very honestly, if I was sure that the file containing the item cache could be easily interchanged from one machine to another, that's an option I would consider. I'd rather have blizzard provide us with a file automatically though
09-04-08, 06:45 AM   #4
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your request.
11-27-11, 12:06 AM   #5
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

+1 on this idea. My addon (Reagent Restocker) is affected by the item cache wipes as well.
11-27-11, 09:19 AM   #6
Vlad
A Molten Giant

What I used to do before was to copy Cache folder and put my old files in it after patch to reapply the cache.

Only down side is when old items update they stayed the same in the tooltips for you, hehe. :P
11-27-11, 01:47 PM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What I've done in an addon I've been developing was go through a list of itemIDs and call GetItemInfo() in the main code. The idea behind this would be to have WoW fetch item data for its cache so it'll be ready when the addon needs it.
11-27-11, 02:22 PM   #8
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

The post is from 2008, so is this even a problem now? The cache is wiped between sessions now. I've queried for hundreds of items in quick succession, without being disconnected.

Granted those were all known-to-be valid IDs.
12-04-11, 12:42 AM   #9
Voyager
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Ailae View Post
The post is from 2008, so is this even a problem now? The cache is wiped between sessions now. I've queried for hundreds of items in quick succession, without being disconnected.

Granted those were all known-to-be valid IDs.
Yeah, you need to query each item twice to get any results now.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Pre-populated item cache