03-30-06, 05:44 PM   #1
aalnydara
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Suggestions on IRC client?

So the last time I was actively using IRC was almost a decade ago (late nights, bot scripting, etc.). Back then, I was using mIRC which I know is still available. I also use Trillian Pro which I know also has an IRC client built-in.

What I'm looking for now is a really simple, lightweight client (for Windows). No frills, no scripting. If possible, no "installation" needed, just run the app from wherever you unzipped it. Something that I could feasibly throw on a keychain and take with me wherever.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions.

Thanks,
Aalny
03-30-06, 05:49 PM   #2
Deleynah
A Murloc Raider
All clients have some kind of scripting enabled.

The best and most used is still mIRC, but if you have Trillian, that is probably the most light-weight
03-30-06, 06:06 PM   #3
aalnydara
A Murloc Raider
My bad. I meant, no scripting needed....not necessarily that it can't have scripting support. Any other suggestions? =)
03-30-06, 06:15 PM   #4
aalnydara
A Murloc Raider
So admittedly, I made this post before I actually did a google search for what I was looking for expecting to read results to the post as I was doing my own research. One of the first hits I got was:
http://www.ircreviews.org/clients/platforms-windows.html

And the first client on the list, 0irc looks pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'll probably try a few different ones out. But I'll still take any suggestions from other people about the client they like the best.
03-30-06, 06:53 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I personally am using Gaim, as it works the same as Trillian (multiple IM clients supported). For IRC it has a couple things I prefer over Trillian and it has the added advantage of being Free. Trillian is still really nice though, no question.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-01-06, 09:40 AM   #6
Amafi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm using xchat myself.
Stable,free,and reliable.

If you just want something to quickly jump into irc once in a while and use FireFox you might want to get the chatzilla irc addon.
04-01-06, 10:25 AM   #7
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by aalnydara
So the last time I was actively using IRC was almost a decade ago (late nights, bot scripting, etc.). Back then, I was using mIRC which I know is still available. I also use Trillian Pro which I know also has an IRC client built-in.

What I'm looking for now is a really simple, lightweight client (for Windows). No frills, no scripting. If possible, no "installation" needed, just run the app from wherever you unzipped it. Something that I could feasibly throw on a keychain and take with me wherever.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions.

Thanks,
Aalny
the trillian IRCs are not so good. I use it because im too lazy to get something else... there are tons of them out there. xchat is good i hear. and so is mirc but i dont think its free.

just get xchat.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Suggestions on IRC client?