05-01-11, 03:19 AM   #1
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
using java to scrape, looking for help

Okay so I'm a novice I guess when it comes to java, I took a 101 class in college, and pretty much self taught myself because the teacher was hardly a teacher.

Anyways we never got into anything in depth, so I would consider myself a novice.

I'm trying to develop an Android app (which im probably more of a novice of, lol) that is a web scraper. So I'm looking at the API and they have Java.net and they have apache packages from which to choose.

Are they any pros or cons from using one package over another? and anyone have any idea where I can look at some tutorials for web scraping? When I try and google something, they want to use a 3rd party's .jar file or something. Just want something that I dont need a 3rd party to do.

Thanks for any help or insight.

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>
05-01-11, 06:22 AM   #2
Fhait
A Cliff Giant
3rd Party

Until you have the knowledge to completely create your own functions/objects from scratch, how do you expect to get by without a 3rd party library ?

Or is the problem that you can't find a FREE third party library ?

= F
05-01-11, 07:50 AM   #3
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
well obviously java itself is a 3rd party :P but java and apache both have a package that comes with the SDK and is on the Android mobile OS

and free ones are easy to come by, just google web harvester or web scraper, add in "java" and presto.

But the 3rd party stuff is just suppose to "simplify" what you can do with
java.net.*
and
org.apache.*

I wanted to know how I can do it without using someone else's stuff

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » using java to scrape, looking for help