09-09-12, 12:15 AM   #1
Senit24
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Want to get paid? Serious offer.

It's getting to the point where asking for more advice feels abusive, and I've been told that answering questions isn't very rewarding. Yet, there are some very talented programmers on this forum who I'd love to learn from.

Would anyone be interested in a paid session where I could ask questions and get feedback? Inbox me if you think you'd like to :)

Last edited by Senit24 : 09-09-12 at 12:28 AM.
09-09-12, 12:32 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Senit24 View Post
It's getting to the point where asking for more advice feels abusive, and I've been told that answering questions isn't very rewarding.
If you're asking specific questions, and make an effort to understand the answers, then I'm happy to answer questions all day, and I suspect many other people here feel the same way.

It's only abusive and/or non-rewarding when you (or whoever) post super-vague things that may or may not even be questions and then complain when you don't like the responses you get, or when you ask the same question over and over in slightly different ways that make it obvious you're not even trying to learn and help yourself. Since your name doesn't spring to mind, though, you have probably not done these things recently (or ever).

The amount of money it would convince me to sign up for a one-on-one real-time coaching session where I had to be somewhere (even a virtual somewhere) at a specific time, and stay there for some specific amount of time, and talk to a Real Live Person the whole time, is likely astronomically higher than you are willing to spend. I really don't like talking to people.
09-09-12, 12:45 AM   #3
Senit24
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
My name doesn't come to mind? You're answering my questions on about three different threads right now!

But in all honesty, I'd rather learn how to do this myself (or be taught) than just handed the solutions. That way I can maintain my code! I really don't expect quick answers - I'm in no rush, nor should you be.However, if I'm to continue posting, I should probably improve my forum etiquette.

Firstly, is it preferred to start a new thread with every new topic of discussion, or should I just chained questions together in on massive thread?
Secondly, how do you color code your code? It's soooo much easier to read.
Thanks
09-09-12, 12:52 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Your name doesn't come to mind as someone who posts annoyingly vague sort-of-questions and complains about the answers or as someone who asks the same questions over and over again and obviously isn't learning anything.

Firstly, is it preferred to start a new thread with every new topic of discussion, or should I just chained questions together in on massive thread?
It depends. If have a question about an answer you got to a previous question, then you should post it in the same thread. If you're working on a specific project (like an oUF layout) and your questions are all about how to do/fix things in your layout, then posting them all in the same thread is also fine.

If your question is more general (eg. not specific to your layout) and not a follow-up to another question, you should post a new thread, with a descriptive title, so others with the same or similar questions can find your thread and benefit from the answers.

Secondly, how do you color code your code? It's soooo much easier to read.
There are two options... you can wrap your code inside [ HIGHLIGHT="Lua" ] ... [ /HIGHLIGHT ] tags, and that auto-colors based on syntax, but I find many of the colors used very hard to read on the dark gray background, so I generally only use it for longer code blocks.

You can also use all the standard formatting tags like [ B ] and [ COLOR="PaleGreen" ] inside [ CODE ] ... [ /CODE ] tags, which is what I usually do if I want to emphasize specific parts of some code I'm posting. Don't go overboard, though.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » A Serious Offer