09-18-08, 11:33 AM   #1
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Question Corner minimap (NOT chinchilla/simpleminimap)

I recently changed from Smm to chinchilla cos of smm's inability to smoothly replace the default miniap border (and no border looks just as bad), but with the new build of my UI i want to dump libRock alltogheter since i never did like the stuff and taking wotlk and the remake of my UI as an opertunity to get rid of it completely.

So now im wondering if theres any other minimap addon out there with rounded corner style minimap and atleast some smooth options for changeing borders on the minimap (want to use a Roth style border), since im not into lua myself i would ratrher not have to end up with soemthing taht requires lua tweaking.

Edit: Think i accidetly put this in the wrong section would be nice if somone could move it.

Last edited by Kerecha : 09-18-08 at 11:40 AM.
09-18-08, 12:13 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try this one:

RicoMiniMap
09-18-08, 12:50 PM   #3
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Try this one:

RicoMiniMap
Have looked at it, but as far as i can tell it does not have the option to change the minimap border to a roth style border (the default blizzard one looks absolutely horrible, to thick, to bright and doesn't match my UI in any way whatsoever).

I really wish i was better at lua so i could edit the stuff but i just can't seem to wrap my head around it nowdays (dam meds fault i bet).
09-18-08, 12:57 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Edit the texture.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-18-08, 01:02 PM   #5
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Edit the texture.
Wich i have no idea of how to do...

And if it requires any form of drawing anything i would fail miserabely a drunk elephant is a better painter/artist then me...
09-18-08, 04:29 PM   #6
Oakayam
Premium Member

Find Moon Witch sig on Ace forums =^.^= and check out the links.

Basic graphic editing skills + software will be helpful if you really want to create your own texture. Otherwise if you look around you most likely will find a texture that was already made by someone.
09-19-08, 02:45 AM   #7
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Oakayam View Post
Find Moon Witch sig on Ace forums =^.^= and check out the links.

Basic graphic editing skills + software will be helpful if you really want to create your own texture. Otherwise if you look around you most likely will find a texture that was already made by someone.
I have already read MW's wiki entry about textures, and like i said my graphic editing skills are absolutely 0.
Thats why i was hoping there was something out there already.

Tried SMM, but it is lacking the border, swapped to chinchila wich does all i neeed BUT unfortunately requires Rock that im trying to move away from, feels like a waste to have an entire framework for 4 addons (CowTip, Cartographer, FuBar and PitBull) so im trying to weed it out.
09-19-08, 09:51 AM   #8
Oakayam
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Kerecha View Post
Thats why i was hoping there was something out there already.
Sure there is a lot of out there. What kind of border you want? Research it /wink wink

(Find a compilation with minimap you like, check out what mod they are using and pay attention whether there is a Minimap folder in Interface directory besides AddOns one. This is where your .blp textures go that sub for default minimap border - providing it wasn't changed by the mod . No skill required just coppy and paste away.)

Edit:
Note: You can also use eepanels/kgpanels to 'add' a border too in game.

Last edited by Oakayam : 09-19-08 at 09:59 AM.
09-20-08, 03:35 AM   #9
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Oakayam View Post
Sure there is a lot of out there. What kind of border you want? Research it /wink wink

(Find a compilation with minimap you like, check out what mod they are using and pay attention whether there is a Minimap folder in Interface directory besides AddOns one. This is where your .blp textures go that sub for default minimap border - providing it wasn't changed by the mod . No skill required just coppy and paste away.)

Edit:
Note: You can also use eepanels/kgpanels to 'add' a border too in game.
Sofar only chinchilla has had both shape and border, but i want to get rid of Rock.

Have looked at loads and loads of diferent mods and no luck sofar. And i dun want to have to use panels (and that would require making custom graphics and a truckload of coding to make it look good)...

Guess im stuck with rock a while longer.
09-20-08, 09:57 AM   #10
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Kerecha View Post
feels like a waste to have an entire framework for 4 addons (CowTip, Cartographer, FuBar and PitBull)
but, consider that those are likely four of the most robustly featured addons that you are using; and the fact that they possibly (imo) set some de facto standards by which to judge other mods in the community as well.

not necessarily arguing your point, just saying they are some of the most complete addons (on nearly every facet, perhaps even overly so, admittedly) for their respective "type" out there.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
09-22-08, 01:02 AM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rigorous View Post
but, consider that those are likely four of the most robustly featured addons that you are using; and the fact that they possibly (imo) set some de facto standards by which to judge other mods in the community as well.

not necessarily arguing your point, just saying they are some of the most complete addons (on nearly every facet, perhaps even overly so, admittedly) for their respective "type" out there.
They're everything AND the kitchen sink. Unfortunately, the only one I'm even using anymore is CowTip. Blargh. Now you made me realize I need a new tooltip :P
09-22-08, 11:51 AM   #12
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Now you made me realize I need a new tooltip
TipTac = win.

(TipTac Talents+pvp=win too)

Last edited by Rigorous : 09-22-08 at 11:52 AM. Reason: oops...sig.
09-23-08, 09:14 AM   #13
Kerecha
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Rigorous View Post

Yeah, they cover a LOT of stuff and do it more or less pefectly in means of what they can do, but the downside is that they use Rock, and i quite frankly hate what the change to Rock did to the addons from a "compulsive tweaker"īs point of view. (Even after having the UI for over a year is still tweak and fine tune stuff more or less daily)

Everything from hidiously unpractical layout for the setup/options to consistant profile problems that nothing seems to get rid of makes me just wanna get rid of all of it.
And also having to drag along an entire extra framework has a negative impact on the perfomance of my ageing system (my primary system is closing on 6 years old now and is getting a harder time to keep up, and the secondary system despite only being 3 yeats old just don't have as much power in it).

All of this makes me want to slim down my UI and cut away all and any "extras" i don't use. (ie get rid of that kitchen sink ).

So for minimap my ultimate goal is a plain and simple rounded corner minimap with a Roth style border and redused alpha to ~40-60% when possible (outdoors) then ontop of it replacing the icons with the ones from BlipStick. And just get rid of all the bells and whistles, movers and god knows what (and the kitchen sink).

edit: Running with minimapster now, looks almost perfect only downside is that the border is a bit to thick.

Last edited by Kerecha : 09-23-08 at 11:10 AM.
09-23-08, 03:25 PM   #14
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

don't get me wrong, i'm not some kind of ckk fanboi (though I do use Chinchilla, Cartographer, Fubar and Pitbull myself).

like i said, i'm not necessarily arguing against getting rid of Rock-based mods, just saying that those mods provide core functionality to any interface and do it better than most others out there. having a framework "just" to support these four core mods with their exceptional customization, functionality and polish is, imo, justified. add Chinchilla to it and its five core mods...

two last things:
1. remember that you can disable features that you are not using at the AddOns screen and they'll never even load...so no extra work on your system's part.
2. if you're concerned about system resources being used by the framework: in my UI, LibDogTag is the highest ranked library from a Rock add-on and its in 20th place, the next two are in 25th and 28th. edit: after some time playing, i noted that LibDogTag moved up to 12th. didn't check anything below it.

just my 2cp.
best of luck with finding the right things for your UI.

Last edited by Rigorous : 09-24-08 at 09:58 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Corner minimap (NOT chinchilla/simpleminimap)