07-23-07, 03:56 PM   #1
Tarishin
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
EarPlugs

Im not sure if this really deserves its own thread, its just a tweak to the standard wow audio files to make gunshots more tolerable, but anyway:
The purpose of this mod is to make the default gunshot sound effects less deafening. The sound files included are standard gunshot sounds from WoW reduced in volume by about 10dB, still audible but significantly less distracting. I originally created this for my personal use, but as the volume of gunfire in WoW seems to be a common complaint Ive made it available to others.

To install this mod:
1) Unzip this zip file to a temporary directory.
2) Move the extracted "Sound" directory to the "Data" subdirectory of your World of Warcraft installation.
3) Check that the extracted files and subdirectories match this:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\Sound\Item\Weapons\Gun

"Weapons" subdirectory contains:
"Gun" subdirectory
GunFire01.wav

"Gun" subdirectory contains:
GunFire01.wav
GunFire02.wav
GunFire03.wav
GunLoad01.wav
GunLoad02.wav
GunLoad03.wav

No challenge to Blizzard's copyright is intended.

Tarishin @ Mal'Ganis(US)
Should anyone prefer a different volume I'd recommend using the free sound editor Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net.
10-04-07, 10:06 AM   #2
Naaomi
A Kobold Labourer
Looking for the zip file attachment to download for this but can't see it, any ideas? If not could someone tell me how to access the sound files within the game so i can create my own low volume versions.

TIA
10-04-07, 10:34 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-EarPlugs.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-04-07, 10:38 AM   #4
Tarishin
A Defias Bandit
Ahem, I forgot to include a link to my "mod" in the opening post: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-EarPlugs.html

You can find the zip file download there.

If you want to create your own you need to extract the relevant files which are stored in the mpq archive files using some form of mpq archive tool e.g. mpqviewer. Note the directory structure of the archive. After saving the files from the archive you can play about with them as you wish, I used Audacity to simply lower the volume. If you then recreate the directory structure in the Data folder (just the relevant bit - there's no need to do the entire thing) and place your modified files in the appropriate place they'll take precedence over the archive files.
04-12-08, 06:55 PM   #5
Tondef
A Cyclonian

Just wondering if there is any way to still use this? Since the patch I don't have a path that matches where this is suppose to go.
04-12-08, 07:20 PM   #6
ganders
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Tondef View Post
Just wondering if there is any way to still use this? Since the patch I don't have a path that matches where this is suppose to go.
If you don't have a Data folder then you're not playing WoW.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » EarPlugs