03-31-09, 08:45 AM   #1
Glomby
A Defias Bandit
Big Bosskill Video

Hi WoWInterface Comunity,
i produced a movie for my wow guild and i want to share it with you and i am interested in your opinion about it.

It's a firstkill Movie of the most difficult boss fight in game, Sartharion10 with 3 Drakes up. It's just a firstkill movie but i think the intro could be a bit special and different from other firstkill movies

You can take a look at it (and rate it) here:
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=105861
03-31-09, 11:58 AM   #2
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Dude... video was EPIC. Awesome editing!
03-31-09, 07:30 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

You definitely have a career ahead of you in production and editing. Damn fine work. And grats on the kill

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
03-31-09, 08:18 PM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Very nice, great quality and great graphics.
04-02-09, 05:14 AM   #5
DamonDK
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hi Glomby !

First of all, really nice effects and overall look.

As I presume you're actually asking for some constructive criticism and not just nose-in-gravel worshipping, here my 2 cents :

1 - The intro
After the obviously required intro vignettes, there's the actualy intro.
Starts off very nicely and pretty decent fx works.
The horizontal line gets annoying after a bit since it freezes and even as you tilt the camera it stays fixed as horizontal. I would perhaps made it a bit more diffused so it doesn't come across as being so solid or moved it into a layer where the character models were in front of it.

Then there's the character intro sequence - really well composed effects, standing on the guild name letters.
I do however have an issue with the length of this part. It feels a bit slow after the 5th or 6th character.

Also : while you do vary the positions the chars come zooming in from a bit, you could've varied alot more, you could speed the initial zooming in up a bit, and then perhaps slow it down to a bit slower when the chars come closer?
Also perhaps a quick "snapshot" effect (blitz thing) and we get a still image of that char with the name in text, so as to enhance the very nice /rawr motions.

So all in all the intro is very good and very well composed, just some timing issues and I feel the names of the chars could've been displayed (not ingame over the head text, but a nice textured name-title to the left/right of the char on the "disc".

The Obsidian Sancturary transition is overall very nicely done, love the portal crossfading and zooming out across the insides.

However : You don't display Sartharion in this Obsidian Sanc intro, perhaps rotating the camera around, focusing/zooming in on the 3 drakes and then down to the bad guy himself would've made more sense.

But again, as a timing/composition issue, it's a matter of personal taste. But since you spend time on the actual Obsidian Sanc. intro, an introduction of the main bad guys would've been in order, imho.

I really can't praise the Obsidian Sanctuary -> UI transition enough. I really do feel that it is VERY beautifully done, easily one of the best things about theis movie, and really makes other movies who just crossfade to the UI shot seems like 5dollar hacks. It must have taken you ages, and it shows. Really impressive.

2 - The fight movie.
Not much to be said. Atleast you don't fall for the temptation to blow up your crits and do some music video/pvp video tilting/fast editing/zooming in.
The speedup is maybe a bit too much, but again, that's a taste thing, and I'm sure you found it most pleasing that way. Ofc there's something to be said about displaying your (very crowded) UI, but I'm sure you weren't planning this to be the actual kill attempt.
Ofc if you had the chance to redo the kill with the excact same group composition, but this time maybe used a bit of time without UI visible, you could have made some interesting crosscuts, but I can also relate to the difficulty of this.
Maybe a bit of effects could be added for when Tenebron, Shadron and Vesperon dies, slowing down the tempo a bit, pacing it, so it changes tempo, becomes more engaging instead of becoming 6 minutes of watching the same highspeed movements. A bit more variation, but without resorting to the "zooming in on crits"-rabble would make those 6 minutes seem alot better.

Also, you don't slow down for the final kill, but let ppl run around in highspeed still.

The Achievement effects are very nicely done, but a bit more clarity and letting ppl read the "Wooho" 's in g-chat and so on would've been nicer, imho.

3 - End Credits.
They work, but do seem very bland compared to the intro-graphics tour-de-force. A bit of the particle effects, some 3D models of the chars scrolling alongside their actual names, since you didn't mention them in the start, perhaps?
Ofc, there's always the temptation to get it done quickly, now that you've spent so long working on the other stuff, but since you actually want ppl to read it (since there's a recruitung-notice), you could have held on to ppl more by taking a little time to spiff up the credits.

4 - Music - Really nice strong choices, fitting the mood, nice subtle changes, topnotch.

Well, that's it for me.

I just wanted to chip in a bit more than just "Wow, great work!"
All the things represent my view of things, and ofc it's subjective.

A great work like this deserves more when the author is asking for opinions.

Keep up the good work !!
04-02-09, 04:48 PM   #6
Glomby
A Defias Bandit
Thanks DamonDK that's the best review so far.
04-03-09, 10:03 PM   #7
Farook
A Molten Giant

Awesome!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Big Bosskill Video