11-01-09, 12:02 PM   #1
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

Do I need Gatherer?

this may be a silly question, I'm not sure. But I've been using carbonite for a couple months now. I Love everything about it. MY question is, Do I really need Gatherer Anymore?

I might be a bit confused on the features, that are shared between the two addons, or which addon is causing what behavior.

I know that Carbonite, can show mine/herb locations.

What if i want to look up, where to get a particular Herb? can that be done through Carbonites "warehouse"?

honestly that's a less important feature overall , and saving memory by turning of Gatherer is very appealing to me. as long as I can see previously mined/herbed locations on the minimap I'm pretty happy.

11-01-09, 01:15 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Take a look at this sticky and see if that helps you out a bit

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25905

11-01-09, 03:51 PM   #3
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

Ok I think I get it.

So cartbonite in no way, records when I actively gather something, it just has a pre-set DB that I can turn on or off, Where as gatherer is designed to record the locations I actually do stuff.

Thanks for the help

11-01-09, 05:02 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you haven't already, don't forget to pick up the Gatherer Database: GathererDB WoWHead. Importing instructions are on the page.

11-09-09, 01:39 PM   #5
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by theeo123 View Post
Ok I think I get it.

So cartbonite in no way, records when I actively gather something, it just has a pre-set DB that I can turn on or off, Where as gatherer is designed to record the locations I actually do stuff.

Thanks for the help
Carbonite does record your locations and will show them on the map every time you get a new location. I found a few trips through the zone, and I had pretty much everything in the zone located.

11-10-09, 04:31 AM   #6
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

Oh, Wow, okay,
sorry if i seem like a total bother, but I'm unfortunately running WoW on a 10+ year old laptop at the moment, 512Mb of RAM with 4 of that getting permanently assigned to the vid card, P2 1.0 Ghz flat CPU.
So I'm trying to trim down my usual add-on usage as much as I can ( at least until I can get the $$$ together to get replacement parts for my main box)

I just discovered Carbonite, and already can't live without it, but it is one of the more resource hungry addons I have, so the more things it can replace the happier I am.

Now is there a way to access Carbonite's DB of Gather points then, like in gatherer. For example, could I look up say "briarthorn" and have it tell me which zone has how many nodes that it's recorded?

11-12-09, 12:56 AM   #7
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by theeo123 View Post
Oh, Wow, okay,
sorry if i seem like a total bother, but I'm unfortunately running WoW on a 10+ year old laptop at the moment, 512Mb of RAM with 4 of that getting permanently assigned to the vid card, P2 1.0 Ghz flat CPU.
So I'm trying to trim down my usual add-on usage as much as I can ( at least until I can get the $$$ together to get replacement parts for my main box)

I just discovered Carbonite, and already can't live without it, but it is one of the more resource hungry addons I have, so the more things it can replace the happier I am.

Now is there a way to access Carbonite's DB of Gather points then, like in gatherer. For example, could I look up say "briarthorn" and have it tell me which zone has how many nodes that it's recorded?
First you have to import the database. Carbonite comes with 3 addons. One of the them is the database. You load it once then go into the Carbonite options to import Herb Locations and Mining Locations.

Now you can go into the Guide. Question mark icon on the carbonite map. Click on Gather > Herb. On the right side you can search for briarthorn. Click on the Icon, not the name to show all the briarthorn locations on the map. It will also make a waypoint to the closest node, so you can make your way there.

Carbonite doesn't seem to count how many nodes per zone or total nodes. It's easy enough to float your mouse over each zone to see which one has the most. I have found sometimes the places with the most nodes are not the best because too many people farm the area. The areas with less nodes sometimes are better.

There's a sticky on this forum with more information. The node database is used most often with Routing.

11-12-09, 03:11 AM   #8
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

oh Wow, Thank you!. See I'm semi familiar with the nodes/routing and often used it to create efficient paths for doing herb runs. But I didn't quite grasp the intricacies of doing it the way you describe, and then creating a route just for one type of Herb, frankly, just hadn't occurred to me *LOL* God this is a cool add-on, I'm slowly entering total fan-boy mode here.

thanks a ton for the help.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Do I need Gatherer?