Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
08-08-11, 04:29 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Buying new iMac, need some advice.

Hi!

I decided to invest in a new computer that'll last me a while, both for gaming and a future potential career in IT (software development, otherwise I wouldn't be making this topic ). I considered going Windows again because no doubt it's a cheaper and easier choice for both, but I really just like mac more and I can always dual boot windows if I have to.

Anyhow, I was browsing some of the different setups and being the hardware noob I am a few questions raised to my mind:

1) Is it a good idea to spend an extra €500 ($720, £440) on an SSD? I've no experience with them but I've heard they're a -lot- faster, and way more reliable. Considering HDD speed can be a bottleneck while gaming it might be an interesting choice, but it does seem like a lot of money. Would I be better off waiting for a general price drop and buying an aftermarket external SSD with Thunderbolt later?
2) The 1920 x 1080 model has an AMD Radeon HD 6770M, the 2560 x 1440 model (3.1/3.4 GHz version) has a 6970M. I'm interested in the second model for its CPU, but is the increase in graphics card enough to compensate for the much higher resolution?
3) The 6970M has a choice between 1 or 2 GB of memory. Would games such as WoW and Rift benefit from the extra graphics memory? It doesn't add too much to the cost (€100).

For reference: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjIwNTQyNjE

I'd appreciate any advice on this, it's a lot of money so I want to consider everything carefully.

Thanks!

Last edited by Haleth : 08-09-11 at 04:24 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Buying new iMac, need some advice.