01-22-11, 11:37 AM   #1
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request: Simplified Macros

I was thinking it would be so much easier if there was an addOn that simplified macros... for example, say I want to have a string of code in a macro say "Cast this spell, then this one, and this one last on a specific target" (but written in code), that would make it so much easier, less button mashing, and being as fast as I can about it in raids and dungeons when healing... I am struggling to understand how to write a macro that will do this... that's why I am requesting an addOn that will do it. Could someone PLEASE make this? If it already exists, then could you point me in the right direction please? I would appreciate it.
01-22-11, 11:48 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You mean so that you can just press the button once and have the code/macro cast the spells for you as they're ready to be cast? This is intentionally not possible. Blizzard wants you to play the game, not have a macro/script do it for you.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-22-11, 02:30 PM   #3
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
You mean so that you can just press the button once and have the code/macro cast the spells for you as they're ready to be cast? This is intentionally not possible. Blizzard wants you to play the game, not have a macro/script do it for you.

I saw some Youtube videos where someone created a macro and typed out a script, it caused them to press 1 button, and it casted 3 spells, not always exactly at the same time, but always in the same order.

Also, I've played this game for 6 years... I think I'm entitled to play easier if I want to after 6 years of mashing buttons and having to be quick. It's just a bit much now, after so long of doing it.
01-22-11, 02:41 PM   #4
Akkorian
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

You have to press the button once for each spell you want to cast, but you can use a castsequence macro:

Code:
/castsequence Some Spell, Other Spell, Last Spell
You can’t set special targets for some spells in a castsequence, though. If you can explain more about what you want to do, I might be able to give you a better example.

There’s a lot of good explanations and examples for making macros here:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
01-22-11, 05:15 PM   #5
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Akkorian View Post
You have to press the button once for each spell you want to cast, but you can use a castsequence macro:

Code:
/castsequence Some Spell, Other Spell, Last Spell
You can’t set special targets for some spells in a castsequence, though. If you can explain more about what you want to do, I might be able to give you a better example.

There’s a lot of good explanations and examples for making macros here:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro

I wanna make it easier to heal without having to use some separate type of unit frames for party or raid to do it. I find it overwhelming sometimes to have to be overly focused and click people and heal them so fast, if I'm not fast enough they get mad and leave after they die. I wanna prevent that from happening. I wanna be able to keep up, even though I'm not able to physically and mentally... I'm just not that fast.

Is there an addon that will do this and if not, how would I do it in a macro? I looked on the link you gave me, and the link other person gave me, and I just can't find one that will do what I'm trying to do. I tend to cast bubble up alot faster on the tank too... because they're usually under geared, so bubbling them keeps me from having to heal them as often. It gets kind of annoying.

I'm just trying to make it a little easier. Not trying to cheat the game. I am a little mentally slow, whether you can tell through this text or not... because it is text, I don't see how anyone could tell. I was taught to type this way; I don't think it reflects how my mind works, it reflects what I've learned.
01-22-11, 05:31 PM   #6
Poreo
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Talking

First the prep, install leatrix latency fix, trust me, I've had countless times where a split second of lag caused me to miss a heal and less latency equals yummier healing.

Also look into Snowfallkeypress. This activates ur heal upon the button being pushes down instead of released, which gives u a little boost.

The above two are just small boosts to help yours heals go off faster. Ignore the next part if u don't like healing type addons.

First is Clique, it helps lots of healers and is almost a necessity if you have multi button mouse ( like the razer ones ) . Youtube it to really get afeel for how it works ( or healbot )

Second would be a nice clear raid / frame like VuhDo or grid. Positioning it in the center of your screen is a MUST !

Third is a UI that my friend nifra tweaked ( based on caith) called nifraUI right here on lwowinterface. She could help you more with healing addons than I ever could

Cheers
01-22-11, 03:08 PM   #7
Poreo
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Rammoth View Post
Also, I've played this game for 6 years... I think I'm entitled to play easier if I want to after 6 years of mashing buttons and having to be quick. It's just a bit much now, after so long of doing it.
This is incorrect. If blizzard did allow this functionality, whats the point of having action bars ? I would just get one button, arrange my entire rotation in order, hit it once and watch the dmg fly . Like the poster above me said, you could make that kind of macro and keep mashing the same button really fast. Macros like those also do have a downside as macros aren't allowed to detect stuff ( at least I don't think so ) .

For example, to make my life easier I made a macro that did this , Apply Frost Fever disease > Apply Blood Plague disease > Use scourge strike , bla bla bla , if one of those diseases got resisted or the attack missed, the macro wouldn't "know ". It would just keep on going as you mash it, well it did the last time I tried doing it on a dummy, back when I was experimenting with macros .

Now, factor in GCD and you'll be as well off doing it like everyone else than having a macro. Even when I'm on my UH DK with presence on, I can reach the button faster than global cooldown is up, and I am assuming most people can too seeing as it's not that hard .
01-22-11, 03:28 PM   #8
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Macros certainly aren't as powerful as they were 5-6 years ago (raise your hand if you remember what you used to be able to do with a macro...like cast different spells based on class, detect spell resists, etc) and it was the right thing for Blizzard to do to change that, as you really could come really close to having the macros play the game for you.

However, while they have strict limitations, a little creativity and some trial & error can still make them extremely powerful tools. The link that Akkorian posted is my macro-bible and Fitzcairn's Macro Explain-O-Matic is also a great tool for learning.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: Simplified Macros