10-10-09, 04:51 PM   #1
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Windows 7 is actually worth it.

I'm now dual-booted Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit & Kubuntu Linux v9.10 and let me tell you, there's not a whole lot Windows 7 doesn't have to offer just about everyone. I'm a Linux Fanboy myself but am very impressed with Windows 7.

I've got it's Final installed and activated (friend sells their software) and when you add Stardock's Object Dock to Windows 7, you've got one 'Ultimate' experience... lol, made myself giggle at that stupid Pun.

Anywho, just thought I would put it out there that Windows 7 definitely meets it's hype. It's visually not much different than Vista and can be easily customized using Stardock's WindowBlinds 7. I would recommend the 32bit for Software Compatability, but 64bit'll do just fine for your average PC users.

The main reason I enjoy Windows 7 is it's astounding performance increase over Vista. Using the same exact system, both 32bit and Ultimate versions of Vista & 7, I notice immediately the crisp responsiveness of 7 and how nice it is. I receive approximately 5 to 8 more FPS in WoW alone!
10-10-09, 05:21 PM   #2
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I've tried 7 and while it's polished, I still prefer good (?) old XP. Win x64 still has a long way to go with drivers -- at least, I couldn't find sound drivers for 2/3 computers -- and the sound system itself seems to work against you as much as it possibly can. I also always experience a black screen and delay when alt-tabbing from WoW -- even with all the fluff turned off -- which never happens in XP.

Microsoft did well with this one, but it's still hard to find an actual reason to make the switch from XP. Sure, the initial setup is much quicker and again, more polished, but the experience doesn't best XP when it's all configured in my opinion.

Well, that's my two pence anyway .
10-10-09, 05:28 PM   #3
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

what stoneage hardware do you have that it doesnt have drivers for?
10-10-09, 05:37 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Having 3 different sound cards for production work audio routing in windows 7 is much easier than windows xp. I haven't run into any problems with x64 drivers even using an old wacom tablet and they had win7 x64 drivers. Its also nice to have windows use more than 4gb of ram properly. Its a must when doing 1080p work in After Effects. Also having native h.264 support in media player is nice.
10-10-09, 05:41 PM   #5
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
... still waiting for FreeBSD 8
10-10-09, 05:42 PM   #6
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Having 3 different sound cards for production work audio routing in windows 7 is much easier than windows xp. I haven't run into any problems with x64 drivers even using an old wacom tablet and they had win7 x64 drivers. Its also nice to have windows use more than 4gb of ram properly. Its a must when doing 1080p work in After Effects. Also having native h.264 support in media player is nice.
The sound system in Windows Vista/7 is just awesome!
10-10-09, 07:19 PM   #7
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Windows 7 is GREAT. I'm actually going to spend money on this. My wallet won't be happy but I sure as hell will!
10-10-09, 07:50 PM   #8
Ither
A Firelord

I can't freaking WAIT. I'm getting it for other reasons, and not WoW specific. I just spent $5k on a new rig with SSD's. The W7 RC was hawt. I had few issues with Nvidia but that got ironed out. I'm definitely looking forward to the 22nd release.
10-10-09, 11:57 PM   #9
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

the only people who dont like win7 is people that dont meet the requirements.
plain and simple. [: no flames[ ;
10-11-09, 12:30 AM   #10
Hakula
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
I'm now dual-booted Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit & Kubuntu Linux v9.10 and let me tell you, there's not a whole lot Windows 7 doesn't have to offer just about everyone. I'm a Linux Fanboy myself but am very impressed with Windows 7.

I've got it's Final installed and activated (friend sells their software) and when you add Stardock's Object Dock to Windows 7, you've got one 'Ultimate' experience... lol, made myself giggle at that stupid Pun.

Anywho, just thought I would put it out there that Windows 7 definitely meets it's hype. It's visually not much different than Vista and can be easily customized using Stardock's WindowBlinds 7. I would recommend the 32bit for Software Compatability, but 64bit'll do just fine for your average PC users.

The main reason I enjoy Windows 7 is it's astounding performance increase over Vista. Using the same exact system, both 32bit and Ultimate versions of Vista & 7, I notice immediately the crisp responsiveness of 7 and how nice it is. I receive approximately 5 to 8 more FPS in WoW alone!
I've also switched to Windows 7 Ultimate. I am running the 64-bit version with 6gb of memory and it's amazing. I'll never look back at Windows XP again. (RIP WindowsXP 2001-2009)
10-11-09, 12:37 AM   #11
Ither
A Firelord

You guys make me sick.. Maybe it's just the US that makes me sick.. They don't get W7 until the 22nd. I had half a mind to call my uncle in Germany to get it and mail it, but hell that will take just about the same amount of time!
10-11-09, 08:27 AM   #12
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
It's on torrents for ages now, why bother with mail?
I mean I got RTM one in VBox for a month or so now, but I see no reason to switch my win2k3 I use for gaming for win7 atm since it has no benefits to offer. No reasons to pay for it for sure. Maybe on next reinstall I'll consider testing driver support.

Last edited by Elhana : 10-11-09 at 08:35 AM.
10-11-09, 08:31 AM   #13
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
I'll stick with my Windows XP copy until at least the first Service Pack is out

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.
10-12-09, 05:15 AM   #14
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

As an added note, I do also run other OSes, but Windows 7 really just shined for me this time around. I used to be a die-hard XP fan but have been spoiled using Vista and configuring it up the way I want. I use Stardock's WindowBlinds to change up the appearance of it all and have ended up with something I'm starting to really enjoy.

I bought a VPK License Key and downloaded the AIO (All-in-One) DVD for 32bit / 64bit and stuck with 32bit for compatability since I use a lot of old crap still for some reason, but I would recommend 7 to anyone who is using Vista and wants a major performance increase overall. If you love XP, staying there would do you just fine since there's no major reason to upgrade to 7 if you don't care for it's look. It has no bloat and on most system won't be in your way of enjoying anything you come across.

Pst, I'm also using Linux, lol.
10-12-09, 05:29 AM   #15
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Likely if I build a new system (rather than rebuilding my current one), then I will be seriously looking to using Windows 7 on that system. However that system will likely be restricted to gaming, graphic editing and movie editing (machinima primarily) when my everyday use system (the current one) will continue as a Linux box.

For everyday usage, Linux works extremely nicely and I don't have to worry about my house mates messing up the system (my account is the only one which has Admin level privileges via sudo). Unfortunately Linux does not have decent video or audio editing software (playback is great, editing has much work ahead of it still despite what is out there currently). I don't like The GIMP for graphic editing, it's just not ready for "prime time" yet. I do have the graphic editor that I know well (Paintshop Pro) running under Wine, it's a bit slow and I can't work with any vector images (such as "raw" text) as it just locks up PSP and I have do a kill from the terminal.
10-12-09, 07:03 AM   #16
Slakah
A Molten Giant

All competition is good, although my main comp is bust atm (waiting for RMA gfx card from Germany ), and I'm now officially a fully fledged student so I doubt whatever huge improvements it may have made will be worth my now dwindling money.
10-12-09, 08:47 AM   #17
zero-kill
A Firelord

I can vouch for Windows 7, having installed it on several different builds, each of which had various -negligible- faults. Driver support is always going to be hit and miss with the OS, simply because Windows focuses on exact drivers for exact components and doesn't always opt for the cure-all gett'r done way of *nix solution history. I currently run Windows 7 as a primary on my desktop and laptop, I plan on completing my compile of openSuse soon and dual-booting that, but in the mean time Windows 7 accomplishes all my needs.

As for x64 vs. x32, as far as performance, the gains are marginal and really specific on hardware. I've managed to score an SSD (quasi, because I modded an external flash drive for this purpose) and performance gains are recognizable on boot and shutdown, but only to one that can notice it. You'll still have time to go and brew a cup of coffee after you turn on the computer of course. Personally I never turn my computer off anyways so I guess it doesn't matter much to me.
10-12-09, 12:04 PM   #18
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Same thing here, the differences of 32 and 64 to me are so marginal I just go 32 for now to ensure I have smooth operation for all that old crap I use like Emulators or just old software in general.

Windows 7 has taken over as my primary setup for everything, and so my Linux is going to be strictly for Linux-Related Gaming research. I would love to see Linux make it more on the Maintstream market and plan on doing what I can to help with the new web site I'm piecing together slowly. Maybe if it gets enough exposure some bigger companies will see the benefits of adding Linux distros, which are really not hard to do during the design process.
10-12-09, 04:33 PM   #19
Ither
A Firelord

WOOHOO!

I just downloaded W7 Ultimate 64bit from my TechNet account, it finally showed up. I'm installing it as we speak. I am so excited! I've heard MASSIVE improvements on memory utilization coming from a Vista platform. I'm so excited!

10-12-09, 04:39 PM   #20
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by Galtar View Post
WOOHOO!

I just downloaded W7 Ultimate 64bit from my TechNet account, it finally showed up. I'm installing it as we speak. I am so excited! I've heard MASSIVE improvements on memory utilization coming from a Vista platform. I'm so excited!
I thought you cannot get W7 anymore? Or are you a subscriber?

Last edited by Cralor : 10-12-09 at 04:44 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Windows 7 is actually worth it.