10-03-09, 01:33 PM   #1
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Switching to Kubuntu 9.10, BornabeUI will resume support within a few days.

I'm finally dropping Windows altogether and making the permanent move to Linux using Kubuntu v9.10 64bit. I've always loved Linux and now have something worth using that can completely replace Windows, even for Gaming now that Wine's made such great strides recently. Once everything is installed, insanely configured and I add in everything I want to add, I'll resume full support for BornabeUI.

WoW plays flawlessly on Linux and for myself gives me 8-10 more FPS on average and MUCH lower latency numbers on a regular basis.

The only thing I'll miss is iTunes, which is currently being looked at to be implemented with Wine. Once that's done, life can move forward.

I'm even workign on a project to fully bring Gaming to Linux through an outstanding web site I'll be working on soon. I already bought the domain and have begun designing it, but want to take my time on putting it all together. It's going to have a community based feel to it as well as provide solid reviews, instructions, tips, etc... and different sections for OpenSource Linux Games, Games for Windows that'll run in Linux and also Commercial Games for Linux. If all goes well, it'll help promote the one OS companies stay away from the most when designing / porting their games. :-D Lots of rambling here that most won't even read, but I was waiting for some files to leap onto my storage drive as backup, lol. Off I go!
10-03-09, 02:56 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

What do you like about iTunes? Personally I am using Exaile for most of my music playing however I have hear good things about Amarok. I currently don't have any of the KDE libraries installed (I use Ubuntu which uses Gnome/GTK2) so I can't test Amarok at the present time.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
10-03-09, 04:19 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Might be a simple matter of being to load up an ipod. But to be honest i don't know much about them beyond that. Not sure if there are 3rd party programs to add songs to one. Or if you even need programs to do it these days.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-03-09, 04:51 PM   #4
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm glad you feel so strongly about moving to Linux, and won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work. I've felt similarly on many occasions, but it never stuck. WoW never ran well for me on Linux, and most importantly, I've yet to find a sound card that works properly under the OS. Unfortunate, as I much prefer going about my daily tasks on Linux.

Good luck.

Last edited by shkm : 10-03-09 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Changed "when" to "if". Meant no harm.
10-03-09, 07:41 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Then you're using either an old Linux distribution and/or Wine version, or your sound card needs replaced. I've ran Linux for years (several different distributions) and have never had issues with sound. Wine has only recently become a stable platform on which to run WoW, however.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-03-09, 08:46 PM   #6
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

what are you currently running for a distro Torhal? I keep windows on my desktop but seem to have better overall, non-WoW performance, on my (older) laptop with ubuntu
10-03-09, 10:06 PM   #7
zero-kill
A Firelord

Amarok is solid for Ipod support, it loads just fine for me under my OpenSuse distro. I'm wanting to make the migration to be completely Linux, but as usual support through my work won't allow a total transformation.
10-03-09, 11:20 PM   #8
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by tophero21 View Post
what are you currently running for a distro Torhal? I keep windows on my desktop but seem to have better overall, non-WoW performance, on my (older) laptop with ubuntu
At the moment, I'm using the alpha version of Kubuntu.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-04-09, 02:02 AM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Thus far, the only issues I am having with Linux is crappy support for my GFX card. I can't play any 3d games (including WoW) as the drivers for my ATI card don't have decent 3d support. Sadly, after researching the issue, it turns out that my only solution to play WoW under Linux is to replace my GFX card which is pretty close to impossible as my mainboard was one of the last to use the AGP slot for the GFX card. ATI support for Linux prior to the merger with AMD was lousy at best so those of use with older ATI cards (like me) are out of luck until we replace the card/rebuild our systems.

Other than that, Linux has been great. No sound issues, most videos work fine (I can't get the one Real video on my HD to play and Helix does not load for some reason).

I am looking at switch over to Kubuntu when 9.10 is released as I like the KDE environment. I would installed Kubuntu when I did the Windows to Linux switch however Windows was being a pain in the rear and would not burn anything to disc. Plus Ship-it did not Kubuntu CDs at that time (around the time 9.04 was released). However now at least I can do a simple Apt-Get to get convert.
10-04-09, 10:18 AM   #10
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Then you're using either an old Linux distribution and/or Wine version, or your sound card needs replaced. I've ran Linux for years (several different distributions) and have never had issues with sound. Wine has only recently become a stable platform on which to run WoW, however.
Actually, I've used a plethora of very different distributions -- with the last one being only a few months ago -- Wine versions, sound cards and even video cards. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I've had no luck with any of these. Sure, sound works, but in every case it has been very low in volume and sometimes quality.

Since we're on the subject, has the cursor lag issue with WoW been fixed yet? I understand it was a very common problem, where the cursor would run at the same FPS as the game, which turned out to be unplayable if FPS got low.
10-04-09, 02:26 PM   #11
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I've been gone for like 1 day and an entire conversation builds up around me switching to Kubuntu... lol, I love it! I switched to Kubuntu 64bit v9.10 latest with all it's updates, etc... and the drivers for my nVidia card loaded just fine and everything, including WoW, runs better than on Windows.

For whatever reason Amarok doesn't want to install, but it is what I'll be using once I figure out why it doesn't like me. With iTunes the only thing I'll miss is the App Store. I like just browsing around on it better than doing it on the phone itself, but other than that, there's nothing I need Windows for at all.

I've been an avid Gnome user for about 8 years now or so, and have been a solid Linux user from the beginning, along with DOS (before there were HDDs) and still miss Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, haha. I use CodeWeaver's CrossOver for WoW and the Curse Client, and other than that, daily tasks of course.

The KDE v4.3 is astounding, and is a real piece of customization awesomeness you'll never find on Windows, even with all the bloatware out there to 'enhance' Windows' looks. I'm finding every way possible to stay away from Windows since it was ultimately the one thing I always had to 'fix' to keep things working the way I wanted them to, whereas on Linux, with a little bit of old-school computer knowledge, you can really get things exactly how you want, which is the way it's supposed to be.

I use the standard FireFox & Thunderbird though so ended up spending a day perfectly removing everything I didn't want with Kubuntu, even though the desktop integration is pretty darn awesome, I still prefer my all-in-one Thunderbird for my Contacts, Calendar, eMail, etc... and all of it syncs up bi-directionally with Google, which I ended up switching to after years and years of preaching Yahoo! to everyone I know, lol.

List up some apps for Linux you guys enjoy that I can maybe take a gander at.
10-04-09, 03:00 PM   #12
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

All this talk of Linux is making me want to make the switch once again, only to be disappointed when it doesn't work out . Curse you, lucky bugger.
10-04-09, 03:06 PM   #13
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'm sure there's some things I'll run into that work on Windows that won't on Linux, but when you look on the bright side of things, you'll be just fine. I myself don't get into the whole OpenSource or not worries, if it's good, I'll stick with it. I've just had the worst of luck with Windows and although most of the world codes for it instead of Linux... it would make damn good sense to devote myself to it as I've got some pretty big plans on promoting it's gaming development through building a real-deal community for it all.

Who knows, maybe I'll convince some of the big gaming companies to code cross-platform. :-D KDE 4.3 is the one to take a look at. After a day of customizing, it looks and runs better than my overly customized Vista I was using, lol. I had that thing tricked out with all of Stardock's applications and then some and am still getting more out of just 1 day's worth of work in Kubuntu 9.10.
10-04-09, 04:26 PM   #14
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
I'm sure there's some things I'll run into that work on Windows that won't on Linux, but when you look on the bright side of things, you'll be just fine. I myself don't get into the whole OpenSource or not worries, if it's good, I'll stick with it. I've just had the worst of luck with Windows and although most of the world codes for it instead of Linux... it would make damn good sense to devote myself to it as I've got some pretty big plans on promoting it's gaming development through building a real-deal community for it all.

Who knows, maybe I'll convince some of the big gaming companies to code cross-platform. :-D KDE 4.3 is the one to take a look at. After a day of customizing, it looks and runs better than my overly customized Vista I was using, lol. I had that thing tricked out with all of Stardock's applications and then some and am still getting more out of just 1 day's worth of work in Kubuntu 9.10.
I will wish you all the luck in the world
10-04-09, 05:06 PM   #15
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Just wondering if anyone's tried OpenSuSe... it's come closest to being a windows replacement imho. The only reason I'm still with Windows is just software compatibility.
10-05-09, 12:55 AM   #16
zero-kill
A Firelord

Originally Posted by erica647 View Post
Just wondering if anyone's tried OpenSuSe... it's come closest to being a windows replacement imho. The only reason I'm still with Windows is just software compatibility.
It's the distro I use most often, I've been playing around with the new Suse Studio site, oh gosh EVERYONE who likes linux customization should check it out. Seriously great tool they came up with.
10-05-09, 01:05 AM   #17
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Well, Wine and I are getting along nicely. I recently got my favorite image creation/editing program, Paint Shop Pro 7, up and working via Wine. Sure The GIMP is installed and it works, however there are some things that drive me crazy about The GIMP.

Let's see, what I am using:

Deluge - Bittorrent client
Firefox 3.5 - labeled as Shiretoko as Firefox 3 is pretty heavily intergrated with Ubuntu and Ubuntu won't see an "official" Firefox 3.5 release until 9.10
Tweetdesk - only if you use Twitter much
LogJam - LiveJournal client
SCiTE - text/code editor
Totem - pretty damn good video player. Totem likely would not work as well on a KDE system
VLC - for those things that Totem can't play
Exaile - music player

Plus under Wine, I have got Paintshop Pro 7 (as previously mentioned), Guild Wars and WoW. Too bad my GFX card doesn't cut the mustard these days...
10-05-09, 01:16 AM   #18
zero-kill
A Firelord

How are you liking Deluge? I still swear by μtorrent.
10-05-09, 03:35 AM   #19
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Deluge is a real uTorrent competitor under Linux, especially with the plugin support. It's also available on Windows, but my last experience with it was crashy and buggy. Transmission is great too, mind.
10-05-09, 05:07 AM   #20
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
It's the distro I use most often, I've been playing around with the new Suse Studio site, oh gosh EVERYONE who likes linux customization should check it out. Seriously great tool they came up with.
At this time, I should like to thank you for finding a way to deprive me of my last remaining free minutes each day That site is the gift that will keep on giving many times over in my world. I've never messed around with Suse, but plan to now. I don't generally favor operating systems that have trouble recognizing G and g are the same letters (kidding).

Thanks for the link.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Switching to Kubuntu 9.10, BornabeUI will resume support within a few days.