08-28-10, 09:37 AM   #1
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

WoW on u45 and m11x ???'s [Help!!!]

Long story short, I don't have a computer anymore and am in need of a new computer. After about 2 months of research and deciding, I have come down between these two choices: Alienware m11x and the Asus U45.

Now I am not expecting miracles from these systems, such as performance on Ultra-high settings or anything like that, but I wanted to know if these systems can run WoW with an average of 50+FPS idle and maybe 35+FPS in combat or something. The computer I currently use to play WoW runs below 10fps. It is playable for me, but since I am upgrading I want to know what I will be getting or what to expect.

I am considering these two laptops because they are almost similar to each other. My basic scenario is...

More power, smaller screen, less battery life = m11x
Less power, larger screen, longer battery life = U45

I know there is an optimus issue with WoW and the m11x, but I'm not so sure with the U45 since I have been having trouble finding reviews of the U45 running WoW and it's reports.

Will the u45 run wow similar to the m11x or will it be significantly underpowered?
08-28-10, 09:51 AM   #2
LaDyNaaMAH
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That depends on how often you will have access to power grid... i for example use notebook very rarely without being connected to power grid so i couldn't care less about battery lifetime... consider this

also note that more power demand from PC, the more painful performance drop while not connected to power grid (with power-hog nVidia GeForce 9600 M GT i am glad i can run Warcraft III without external supply, with it i can play Starcraft II on medium details, pretty cool difference, eh?)
ShoutControl - v0.1 Beta available.
08-28-10, 10:59 AM   #3
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'll be using it away from home for about 9 hours, then I'll be at home for maybe another 5-6 hours in the whole day.

Is there a way I can compare the performance of WoW on the m11x and U45 through some numbers or something? That's all I really need to make my final decision.

And if I can't do that, does anyone know what's the difference between the Nvidia Geforce 335M and Geforce 310M?

Here are the details on the two laptops I am considering... what would you pick and why? I've already narrowed down to these, I'm just really concerned about graphical performance versus each other, especially in watching movies, and playing games(WoW). (The m11x doesn't have a disc drive, and my old laptop's disc drive never worked, so I grew out of the need to have a disc drive. I plan to purchase an external one if I need to, to install games and make my recovery disc). I have also seen the m11x in person, and the screen size doesn't seem to be a problem to me. I haven't seen the U45 so that's also what's stopping me.

Asus U43jc (Bamboo Edition)
-Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 520M/450M : 2.4 GHz - 2.26 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 2.93/2.66 GHz;
-DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 4GB SDRAM
-14" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED backlit
-320GB,5400rpm
-NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M, with 1GB DDR3 VRAM & Intel GMA HD (Support NVIDIA Optimus Technology)
-34.4 x 24.1 x 2.20~3.18 cm (W x D x H)
-2.14 kg (with 6 cell battery)
-2.0MP Web Cam
-Disc Drive

Alienware m11x
-Intel® Core™ i5 520UM (3M Cache, 1.066 GHZ with 1.866 GHz Max Turbo Frequency) - Overclockable
-4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
-11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED
-250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
-1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M (Support NVIDIA Optimus Technology)
-1.3MP Web Cam
-Bluetooth
-4lbs
-No Disc Drive

I just really wanna know how much of a level in performance difference will I expect from the U45 over the m11x.

Last edited by litesung : 08-28-10 at 11:28 AM.
08-28-10, 12:57 PM   #4
LaDyNaaMAH
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

1 GB VRAM should offer many space for WoW data such as textures and other stuff, in fact you will never use it whole while playing WoW... about those graphic modules i suppose the difference should be little, hardly noticeable i suppose and you say you are away from home a lot... so i would decide about battery life... but it's only my opinion
ShoutControl - v0.1 Beta available.
08-28-10, 01:03 PM   #5
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So the difference between the 310M and the 335M isn't that great? That means the performance output won't be that noticeable will it?

If that's the case I'll probably choose the Asus u43. I just hope it will be better than the m11x x)

The features that really appealed to me on the m11x were the custom lighted keys and interface, the design, the smooth/non stick keys and palmrest, and the small and lightweight size.

I'm going to be carrying it in the standard jansport backpack(the one with 2 pockets only, large and small), and the laptop will be in a sleeve. I know the m11x will fit perfectly, I just don't know about the U43. I hope so!!!

Does anyone have any more information on the U43 vs the m11x? I have been out of a computer for like 2 and a half months now, and around September 11 is when I will be making my purchase >.<
08-28-10, 09:03 PM   #6
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

bumping my thread
08-28-10, 09:54 PM   #7
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by litesung View Post
I'll be using it away from home for about 9 hours, then I'll be at home for maybe another 5-6 hours in the whole day.
RE power supply and WoW: I'd suggest only doing dailies and such when you're away from home (and a wall socket); leave raiding or long-term dungeon running for a constant power source.

Pretty much any newer PC will be able to run well, you don't need an über gamer gfx card to play this game. The only place you might experience some lag will be in Dalaran, or in some of the ICC 25 encounters.
08-28-10, 10:13 PM   #8
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

That's a great idea!

But I'm still stuck deciding on which laptop to use now... I'm really unsure wether I should get the m11x so I can be able to put it in my backpack(using standard jansport 2 slot backpack), or if I should get the u43 and carry it around using a carrying case..

I was hoping a 14" would fit in my bag, but it was way too big(I used my old 15" hp dv9700)

I still feel equally about the two laptops... so what would you guys do in my situation? Which would you guys get if you were me?
08-28-10, 10:58 PM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

It's a simple matter of what is easier to fix. If the only thing preventing you from getting the larger laptop is how you plan to transport it and prefer a backpack. I recommend looking at the backpacks from http://www.wengerna.com. They make laptop specific bags for varying sizes and they tend to be very very durable.

On the other hand the smaller laptop I would assume to consume far less power (didn't look at rated battery life on either) so for your extended time away from power sources it would make more sense.

In the end I know this didn't give you an answer. It's your money and we can't spend it for you. All we can really hope to offer is points of view that will give you some insight as to what will suit you best.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-28-10, 11:15 PM   #10
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

hehe thanks That's exactly what I am looking for to help me decide my purchase. (The insight)

If I decide upon the Asus, do you guys know any reliable websites where I can buy the U43? I wish the Asus website was able to let you purchase them online... but the only websites I know of are amazon and i think xoticpc(haven't checked).

(Random Question: If you guys played WoW on the m11x, would it feel cramped to you? because of the 11.2" screen)
08-28-10, 11:21 PM   #11
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I personally would never use a laptop for gaming. Among many other reasons is the size. I am too used to my large monitors.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-29-10, 01:04 AM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Hell, I find myself thinking that my 22" widescreen and 22" standard screen aren't big enough when playing games (admittedly, i do play everything on the widescreen and just surf the web or whatever on the standard).
08-29-10, 11:54 AM   #13
ComputerNerd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Wow is still very much CPU bound, so the Asus which at least appears to have the better CPU should play wow better.
Being marketed as a gaming notebook, the m11x places a lot of emphasis on the graphics card which may suit most games, but wow is not most games.
08-30-10, 03:33 PM   #14
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I've decided to get the m11x because I'll be saving huge on the discounts(Student+$40 off, + phone bargaining).

The m11x R2 I am buying has
Intel i5 core
250GB HDD
4gb ddr3 Ram
No Bluetooth
No VGA port
No Custom Name Etching

Later on in the year, I am going to buy an external Disc Drive, a portable Hard Drive, and an External Monitor.

Since I'll be buying online discussing through the phone, I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice with purchasing items over the phone. I was hoping I could bargain for a more reduced price, bluetooth card, and custom etching.

Does anyone have tips they can provide me with? or experience with people on the phone? Thanks!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » WoW on u45 and m11x ???'s [Help!!!]