03-10-11, 09:30 PM   #21
jbashara
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Okay, most of you -- since you're even talking about running WoW on solid memory -- probably already know this, but just in case; no matter what the medium, heavy file fragmentation can also degrade performance. It's a lot more important on conventional hard drives; defragging your WoW folder/installation (and even placing it closer to the beginning of the disk) can improve I/O performance.

Some "game booster" apps will let you defrag single install folders, although a better solution (with more options and better methods) is the popular freeware program "MyDefrag." I'm not too familiar with defragging when it comes to SSD though; I hear there are right and wrong ways to do it.

"People with real courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."
- Herman Hesse, Damian
03-11-11, 12:06 AM   #22
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jbashara View Post
I'm not too familiar with defragging when it comes to SSD though; I hear there are right and wrong ways to do it.
OT: Defragging is bad with an SSD, you don't do it at all. You use the TRIM command, which is a special garbage collection meant for SSDs.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
03-11-11, 06:06 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
OT: Defragging is bad with an SSD, you don't do it at all. You use the TRIM command, which is a special garbage collection meant for SSDs.
Thank you for this bit of info!! I have an SSD, but have not installed it yet. Do you by chance have more info about this TRIM command?
03-11-11, 07:24 PM   #24
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Thank you for this bit of info!! I have an SSD, but have not installed it yet. Do you by chance have more info about this TRIM command?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...nce-and-trim/1
05-03-11, 11:54 AM   #25
markhr
A Fallenroot Satyr
Running 4 SSDs.

2 as a system, firewall, utilities, programs main/boot raid0
2 as a WoW raid0 and some storage (only things I won't need when using WoW)

While they don't achieve the same amazing (unbelievable more like) performance of *that* samsung viral video they do drastically improve load times in crowded areas and stability when you run into a bunch of new textures.

Therefore, I'd strongly recommend a SSD for running WoW but you'll need at least double the size WoW is (SSD should be more than 55Gb I think) to avoid the "insufficient disk space" patch day problem.

I'd recommend a second SSD for your system and boot files too for better general performance but check how much your WoW experience improves with a dedicated SSD first before adding any more expensive items. I also don't know if you need at least double the space for Windows to run properly.

Someone with more knowledge than me could also/has probably either link(ed) an internet guide/resource or describe(d) whether further seperation via different drives for system/boot and program/firewall improves pc performance but that's beyond the scope of my post.
05-04-11, 11:12 AM   #26
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by markhr View Post
I also don't know if you need at least double the space for Windows to run properly.
You don't. I know this because I just ran out of harddisk space on C: last week when I let iTunes automatically download podcasts and keep them forever. iTunes started complaining about lack of disk space, I looked and saw less than 800 MB space, and I never saw any performance issues in Windows 7.
05-04-11, 12:33 PM   #27
markhr
A Fallenroot Satyr
thanks

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » wow on RAMdrive