12-05-09, 02:42 AM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Grrr Firefox & IM Restrictions

I'm possibly 3 hrs late with this as it's been a bit hellish at work but ....

:: Que violins ::

I lost all my addons , plugins and Web monkey scripts in Firefox

I use Portable Firefox operating out of my home folder at Work.

Tonight Firefox decided to bug out and not allow me to load in my Bookmarks. I would open FF and would have no bookmarks avaliable.

I was getting a nice red error message come up in the area under the bookmarks bar saying it couldn't load it them as it doesn't have access to some system files or something.

The exact error message was in the old profile's history so I can't go back to it. Needless to say I got an help page from some place on Firefox/Mozilla's web site about fixing it.

Basically it was a problem with permissions to places.sqlite.

As I'm running this at work I won't have much luck attempting to find out what process is using and stopping or running as admin etc etc etc.

So I thought... Right ! Let's just rebuild Portable Firefox into a different folder and all the permissions will reset amirite ?

So i do.... copy over the bookmark folders over and their backups ... Start up...

*BOOM* Bookmarks back !

So I delete my old profile and change the name of the new folder and fix up the shortcut etc......

EXCEPT !

Oh noes ! I've deleted my addons!!! Bai bai Webmonkey Bai bai Adblock . Bai Bai lovely Facebook Webmonkey scripts Bai Bai Flash Player

*crys*
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-05-09, 06:13 AM   #2
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
I lost all my addons , plugins and Web monkey scripts in Firefox
Oh noes ! I've deleted my addons!!! Bai bai Webmonkey Bai bai Adblock . Bai Bai lovely Facebook Webmonkey scripts Bai Bai Flash Player

*crys*
Obvious question, permanently deleted or just in the rubbish bin?

If it's on windows you still have undelete.com right? (or does that not exist any more)

For linux systems (specifically debian) :

Code:
$ apt-cache search undelete
ntfsprogs - tools for doing neat things in NTFS partitions from Linux
e2undel - Undelete utility for the ext2 file system
magicrescue - recovers files by looking for magic bytes
recover - Undelete files on ext2 partitions
12-05-09, 06:47 AM   #3
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by jadakren View Post
Obvious question, permanently deleted or just in the rubbish bin?

If it's on windows you still have undelete.com right? (or does that not exist any more)
Forgot to mention : The Recycling bin was empty. We connect via a citrix session. The local recycling bin was empty. Could not locate the one via the Citrix session.

The other point is most un delete utilites I've found require an admin username and password to properly function.

I have no way of elevating or escalating my user permissions in order to run an undelete program like that.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-05-09, 10:13 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

MozBackup is your friend.
12-05-09, 10:24 AM   #5
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
MozBackup is your friend.
No thanks

I just gotta remember where to find the difficult to restore stuff like the webmonkey scripts and the flash player.

Getting this sort of program would require me downloading it at home , putting it on a USB disc, lugging it to work , possibly not being able to install it due to not having an admin user name and password etc etc etc.

For me I can do what that program says it does in a tenth of the time it takes to download & install the thing

Just got to know where everything is located
12-05-09, 10:30 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post on the forum for help.

/teases
12-05-09, 12:26 PM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Facebook Webmonkey script (or otherwise known as Greasemonkey)? Such as FB Purity (filters all the crap from Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc)?

http:// steeev. freehostia. com /wp/2009/03/19/facebook_purity_cleans_up_the_facebook_homepage/

The forum "nanny" software thinks that URL is naughty so it obscures. Just stitch it back together.
12-05-09, 03:35 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Maybe if one was actually working at work this would have never happened

j/k

Sorry to hear you lost stuff .. hope you can get most of it back some way or another. Losing any type of data just sucks .. I had a HDD failure a while back. I had a back up but it was 6 months old so I lost quite a few things .. some I was even able to recover off the HDD afterwards .. that was when the HDD decided to actually work for a while.
12-05-09, 08:32 PM   #9
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Those who can, do. Those who can't, post on the forum for help.

/teases
Dang. Knew I should of put "Rant" at the start of my Subject line

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
Facebook Webmonkey script (or otherwise known as Greasemonkey)? Such as FB Purity (filters all the crap from Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc)?
Getting past their Web Marshall blocks means using a web moneky script that forces those pages that can use a secure connection to use a secure connection.

IE Facebook will load. Webmarshall will say it's blocked. This script will load the secure version of that page.

Should work until they use a hosts file for all sites running through their web proxy server (IE A white list).

The forum "nanny" software thinks that URL is naughty so it obscures. Just stitch it back together.
Ours at work just blocks that page from being loaded at all.

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Maybe if one was actually working at work this would have never happened .
I've become quite skilled at knowing when to play and when to work. In this case however I had a number of work related bookmarks I needed to access.

Also when it's 4am in the morning and it's quiet who cares what sites your visit ?
12-06-09, 06:06 AM   #10
Bluspacecow

Just checked my USB Drive I carry around in my pocket

It has this folder in it

/Volumes/BLUSSTICK/BACKUP NOT USED FROM WORK FOLDER/FirefoxPortable3.0.5/Data

With the following folders inside the Data folder :

plugins <---------- has my flash libraries that enable Adobe Flash to work in Portable firefox !

profile/gm_scripts <----- my Grease Monkey scripts.

/forehead slap
/upload to dropbox.com

Well that's a major load off my back now I just need to redo a few of my scripts

userscripts.org ! I choose you !

(Grease Monkey not Web Monkey ::roll:

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Grrr Firefox & IM Restrictions