09-09-11, 04:33 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Good article on screen tearing/vsync/triple buffering

Ever since I got a new and decent computer, I've been trying to optimize fps while playing WoW. I noticed a lot of screen tearing, and instead of just turning on vertical sync and all that, being the geek I am I wanted to look more into what causes screen tearing, what Vsync does, and wtf triple buffering is.

I ended up with this very detailed and moderately simple article explaining everything. It's quite a good read actually, if only just to know what exactly those options do.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-ga...-all-jazz.html

This isn't a link to the original article, but the original has a horrible white/black contrast which I will spare your eyes from.

TL;DR: Turn on vertical sync and triple buffering and you will get perfectly smooth gameplay, PC specs permitting. If you don't turn on triple buffering, then your fps will be cut in half every time your computer isn't capable of producing an equal fps as your screen's refresh rate, whereas with triple buffering it will normally only fall back to 2/3rd.
09-09-11, 06:47 PM   #2
unstoppixel
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Exclamation

Cool beans!

Last edited by unstoppixel : 09-09-11 at 07:08 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Good article on screen tearing/vsync/triple buffering