04-13-12, 06:03 AM   #1
Somewhatdark
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Somewhatdark's UI

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atdarksUI.html

It's my first submit in WowInterface. 100% my own work, selfmade and all that. I'd love to get some feedback on what you think should change.
04-13-12, 11:55 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Somewhatdark View Post
100% my own work, selfmade and all that.
Nitpicky, and slightly off-topic, but... That would mean that you coded all of the addons you included as well.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-13-12, 05:39 PM   #3
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

Ha Ha yes she is right lol
But good work I understand what you really mean and although not my choice in a UI I do like it out of 5 s
04-13-12, 09:30 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You should spend some time fixing all of the inconsistent spacing and alignment.

Also, the minimap border doesn't match anything, and the three icons directly below your character have a custom border while all the other icons have no border.

The gradient background in your actual tooltip does not match the flat background of all the tooltip-style panels.

Having glowy 3D textures on the chat tabs looks strange inside a tooltip-style panel. Check out the addon Fane to remove the textures.

The bottom of your damage meter is off the edge of the screen, and it's cutting the bottom off some of the text.

Too many action buttons. You only need one bag button, or preferrably none (just press B). Use an addon like OPie to consolidate auras, seals, buffs, and professions without wasting screen space.

I have no idea what the three semitransparent black rectangles are above your action bars, but they either need to go away, or they need borders to match the other panels in the UI.
04-14-12, 04:20 AM   #5
Somewhatdark
A Murloc Raider
Ah yes, I didn't mean like that. I'll make sure to change that x(

Phanx, thanks for the awesome input! Those three rectangles belong to CLCinfo and are how I track my Holy Power's. I'll have some free time tomorrow, and will certainly go through the changes you suggested. Thanks
04-19-12, 12:03 PM   #6
Somewhatdark
A Murloc Raider
Hum, I have updated, anyone has any comments?
04-19-12, 01:22 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Well, the minimap border still doesn't match anything.

Some spacing is still inconsistent. Two examples:
  • In the action button panel above the damage meter, there is more space between the left edge of the buttons and the left edge of the panel than between the top of buttons and top of the panel.
  • In the main action bar panel, there is more space between the right edge of the buttons and the right edge of the panel than between the top of the buttons and the top of the panel.

I can't see the tooltip or damage meter in either screenshot, so I can't tell if you fixed those issues.

Other suggestions:

Move the chat input box above the frame, so you do not have to have a big gap below the chat frame.

Remove the chat frame's built-in background (right-click the chat tab, click Background, and drag the opacity slider all the way to the bottom) to avoid having two overlapping backgrounds.

Put a border around the CLCInfo panels so they match the panels they are directly adjacent to. Or, even better, get rid of such huge ugly things, and use a more compact, aesthetically pleasing display for your holy power.

Get rid of the huge, ugly "micro menu" buttons (the ones that open your character window, spellbook, etc.) and replace them with a dropdown menu on Titan Panel (try this or this).

Get rid of the ancient and bloated Titan Panel and replace it with a modern Broker display that actually supports the hundreds of Broker plugins available without using resource-wasteful translation code to convert them to its own proprietary format. There are plenty of very customizable, easy-to-use, bar-style displays available. Take a look at Bazooka, Chocolate Bar, Docking Station, or Ninja Panel as a starting point. Bazooka is the one I use. Chocolate Bar is probably the easiest to use. Ninja Panel is very lightweight, but has few options for customizing its appearance. I've used Docking Station in the past, but I don't remember why I switched to Bazooka.
04-21-12, 03:28 AM   #8
Somewhatdark
A Murloc Raider
I really appreciate all the help you're giving me Phanx. I'll be honest, I liked my UI the way it was. Simple, quite clean, quite functional, perfect for my type of raiding. You are helping me make it even better and I'm loving how it's turning out to be.

I have a question though. You seem quite experienced in UI's designing and stuff, what would you think if I included Shadowed Unit Frames? I tried it out and it looks quite good. Also updated it with Satrina buff frames (top left corner), along with new unit frames right above CLCinfo. I'll post a screenshot when I get home, I'd love if you could tell me how it looks.

Also, any suggestions as to some more Data-broker plugins I could use with bazooka? Currently I have money, clock, Durability, Micro menu and that's all. I still think it looks very.. empty.

Lastly, any suggestions as to nameplates? Let's say, Tidy plates. Any addon like that you would recomend me to use?

Thanks in advance, SomewhatDark.
04-22-12, 05:03 AM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

You seem quite experienced in UI's designing and stuff, what would you think if I included Shadowed Unit Frames?
Do what you want. I've been using oUF and my own layout for years now, so I can't really offer any suggestions about the popular unit frame addons.

Also, any suggestions as to some more Data-broker plugins I could use with bazooka? Currently I have money, clock, Durability, Micro menu and that's all.
Mine is also fairly empty. The left side has a few launchers from addons (Grid icon, etc.) and the right side has a clock, location, XP/rep, DropTheCheapestThing (click to delete the least valuable item in your bags), ticket status, LFG icon. It's set to hide until I mouseover it, so it isn't really wasting space.

Lastly, any suggestions as to nameplates? Let's say, Tidy plates. Any addon like that you would recomend me to use?
I've heard good things, but I don't use any nameplate addons, so I can't really comment.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released Compilations » Somewhatdark's UI