07-27-11, 12:16 AM   #21
Murdoc
A Defias Bandit
I have a question about the WTF folder. The main folder contains Account, Config.wtf and Launcher.wtf. Do I delete the .wtf files? Under account I have the folder for my account and in that is a folder SavedVariables, my realm folder and some .wtf, .lua and .old files. Do I delete everything in here except the realm folder? I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't delete. I don't want to share anything of mine account related but I would like to share my UI.
07-27-11, 12:40 AM   #22
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
I have a question about the WTF folder. The main folder contains Account, Config.wtf and Launcher.wtf. Do I delete the .wtf files? Under account I have the folder for my account and in that is a folder SavedVariables, my realm folder and some .wtf, .lua and .old files. Do I delete everything in here except the realm folder? I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't delete. I don't want to share anything of mine account related but I would like to share my UI.
You can delete Launcher.wtf. In fact, it's wise to do so, as it can cause a lot of compatibility issues.

Open up your Config.wtf file, and delete any lines containing personal information. WoW Account names, Email addresses, etc. I also find it wise to do a cleaning up of the Config.wtf file as well, as a lot of the information in there may not be the best choice for other users' PCs. There are also some lines that can cause issues with users using different locale WoW clients.

Generally, for the Config.wtf, look for lines which you know you should keep, and delete the rest.

Lines you should usually keep are:
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET playIntroMovie "4"
SET uiScale "xxx" -- If your UI uses a particular scale
SET UseUIScale = "1" -- If your UI needs UI Scale turned on

The only other place personal information is kept would be the name of the Realm and Character folders, which you should already be renaming to "REALMNAME" and "CHARACTERNAME" etc.

Some addons you're using may store their settings under the Realm/Character folders. So unless you know otherwise, don't delete them. It is a pain to have them though, because users will have to rename+copy/paste for each character they play.

Feel free to delete all ".old" and ".bak" files.

Try and also delete any "bindings-cache" and "macros-cache" files. This will allow your users to retrieve their personal bindings and macros from WoW's server.

Last edited by Nibelheim : 07-27-11 at 05:10 AM.
06-24-12, 02:48 AM   #23
Blacksad
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
If the UI is above the 100mb upload limit, how does one properly divide the content into chunks for upload? I've attempted this using Winrar, however the end result didn't work out well for the recipient. Is there a way to upload multiple files, such as UI_1.rar and UI_2.rar, which the end user can download from WowI? Or are all UI packs on here simply relegated to the 100mb limit?
06-24-12, 03:54 AM   #24
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Are you sure you're not including extraneous files in your upload? I'm not sure how any UI can hit that limit unless they include the Blizzard default files (in the Addons folder), .BLP files in the Interface folder, etc...?

If you're including .BLP files (image files) in your Interface folder, that are also available for download on WoWI, then try removing those files and including a link to them. If you created them and they're causing your upload to become too large, try uploading them as a separate download on WoWI and including a link/attaching a plug-in to your interface folder.

Basically, what exactly are you uploading that you're hitting the 100mb file limit - especially since it's in a compressed file format?
06-24-12, 11:43 PM   #25
Phanx
Cat.

Also, RAR files are not supported. Only ZIP archives are allowed.
06-25-12, 02:37 AM   #26
Blacksad
A Defias Bandit

My UI isn't huge, and is very much like some others I've seen that weigh in at 40-70mb. Mine even has less than some of these. I'll heed your advice, as I can only assume there must be extra files floating around in some folders and such. I felt it didn't make much sense why mine was so much higher volume than UI's which I know are fairly heavy. Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help.
06-25-12, 12:24 PM   #27
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
We do still allow the .rar format, though not many people choose to use it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-25-12, 01:59 PM   #28
Blacksad
A Defias Bandit

Okay, figured that all out. There were some out of the way subfolders which had copious amounts of data which were totally unnecessary. Sunnart especially. I appreciate the help in cleaning that up!
06-25-12, 04:27 PM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Actually Seerah, we changed that a while back, remember? .zip only now is correct.
06-25-12, 09:29 PM   #30
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
>.< Bah, you're right.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-26-12, 03:16 AM   #31
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I have done some minor updating of this Guide.
10-13-15, 03:00 AM   #32
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I have updated this guide based on questions that have been PMed to me and to bring it to the Windows 10 era.
10-13-15, 01:37 PM   #33
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

What do you guys think about how my UI is installed?
I think its easier to just remove folders and add a new one then renaming them.
Also its never a good idea to overwrite the account settings of someone. So I just share my SavedVariables.
To share my uiScale I use the addon nibUIScale

When you want to share you SavedVariables then make shure to only use addons that have account wide settings or profils. Also don't share the .lua.bak files inside your SavedVariables folder.

I also don't see a link to nibProfileLoader or (plugin for Reflux) in your post.

Also nice to have: https://github.com/Phanx/AceDB-DefaultMod

Last edited by Tonyleila : 10-13-15 at 01:41 PM.
10-13-15, 03:00 PM   #34
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Not the way I would recommend doing it. Much better to rename folders/files and keep previous settings in case something goes wrong with the new install.. you still have your folders/files to put back the way they were.
10-14-15, 06:10 AM   #35
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Not the way I would recommend doing it. Much better to rename folders/files and keep previous settings in case something goes wrong with the new install.. you still have your folders/files to put back the way they were.
I think you did not look into it. You can keep your old folders ofc just rename them or put on desctop
10-14-15, 12:34 PM   #36
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
I think you did not look into it. You can keep your old folders ofc just rename them or put on desctop
Well yes, but replacing is what you mentioned in your previous post, as well what it says in the guide, so seems fair to comment on that!

I never use compilations, but I'm not crazy about the sharing of saved variables. I guess it's the easiest way for the creator. Would love to see all settings being applied programatically, though.
10-14-15, 12:57 PM   #37
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
Would love to see all settings being applied programatically, though.
With the knee jerk reaction to people with problems being "delete your WTF and Cache folders" this would certainly be the most user friendly method even for compilations.
10-19-15, 02:32 AM   #38
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well yes, but replacing is what you mentioned in your previous post, as well what it says in the guide, so seems fair to comment on that!
Exactly!

I never use compilations, but I'm not crazy about the sharing of saved variables. I guess it's the easiest way for the creator. Would love to see all settings being applied programatically, though.

Neither do I. I prefer the UI's with a single install as they're usually much cleaner. Been using ElvUI for years, and since then I've never thought twice about a compilation UI.
10-19-15, 10:01 AM   #39
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Single install UIs are nice but this guide is for those folks who don't know how to create such a UI. You need some skills in Lua programming and many players who are sharing their UIs don't have those skills. The method in the guide is the tried and tested method.

Regarding nibUIScale and nibProfileLoader, I had not run across either of those mods. Then again, between work, no Internet connection at home and a plethora of Blizzard games eating my time (I am looking at you Diablo 3 and Heroes of the Storm), I don't as much time to trawl Curse and WoWI as I used to. However I will add those links to my guide. Reflux I had just plain forgotten about although it's been around a rather long time.

I will ask that alternate methods of packaging your UI (such as ElvUI style installers) and such to be discussed in other threads as this guide is for the older method outlined in the guide. Thanks.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-19-15 at 10:16 AM.
10-16-20, 08:05 AM   #40
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I figured it was time to blow the dust off this guide and update it as it did not reflect the fact that we now have both Retail and Classic installations nor was there anything for the Linux folks. That info has been added and the guide revised to remove obsolete info.

On a side note: yes, I am back from the dead.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info. » Guide: Packaging up your UI to share with others.