10-17-08, 09:58 PM   #61
Xaottic
A Murloc Raider
Status

So I was already working on some of this because I cant play without it

Sofar I have been able to get Duf working with an existing Mazzlefied profile, with the caveat that it is not yet optimized and has 1 or 2 bugs and the editor hasn't been worked on.

Also I have already spent time to pull out the Context-Menu into a seperate component and will be testing it with 3.0 this weekend. (Can't live without it)

I do whole heartedly think Dominos should be the bar replacement as it is a awesome (though more limited than Bongos 1 in some respects)

I also have plans of pulling out the Mazzle 3d database and making it a seperate Ace3.0 addon

Keeping each piece as a seperate addon going forward helps for when something breaks, I won't lose it all

For those interested, I am using the Addon Studio for World of Warcraft (visual studio ide thats free) and have done some 3.0 updates for the intellisense. Each part I have work on thus far has been ported to a solution for it.

Any of this work I have done that would be any help, I would gladly share it, this is a great package and I thank Mazzlefiz (and Tig) for their time and effort.
10-17-08, 10:21 PM   #62
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Xaottic View Post
Also I have already spent time to pull out the Context-Menu into a seperate component and will be testing it with 3.0 this weekend. (Can't live without it)
I also have plans of pulling out the Mazzle 3d database and making it a seperate Ace3.0 addon

Keeping each piece as a seperate addon going forward helps for when something breaks, I won't lose it all
Any of this work I have done that would be any help, I would gladly share it, this is a great package and I thank Mazzlefiz (and Tig) for their time and effort.
Xaottic, you do not have permission to re-release or use any part of the MazzleUI code or data in any project or derivative project. The code in the project is not in the public domain and comes with a clear copyright notice as well as information on how to contact me about getting permission.

A bunch of you guys seem to be getting ahead of yourselves. Two people have contacted me about releasing a new core or bug fix patch. If they are interested, I will work with them to keep a workable version out there in the same way that I have worked with several others before them, most recently DocEvl.
10-17-08, 11:56 PM   #63
Viciusan
A Cliff Giant

It hurts playing wow without the Mazzle UI.

Thanks guys for trying again to get it up and running.
10-18-08, 03:18 AM   #64
Raegormar
A Fallenroot Satyr
Be serious people. Trying to PATCH things again won't cut it this time. It is time, to completely rewrite the code. Mazzle has done a fantastic job several years ago, and with his help it has been patched, patched some more and patched again (did I mention patched?). In essence the code is for WoW to be played in a manner we think is more convenient. It does a hell of a job in auto setup of addons, and laying down a frame to work with. And I won't forget the hours people must have spent in doing this. But, wow evolved, under the hood a lot of things have changed. By rewriting a new "mazzifier" in a new project things can be setup a fresh. By patching and patching this project is too dependent on permission of mazzlefiz, who is entitled to that, since it is his code. But it is a framework for WoW. It is starting to become a little "but I like windows 98, it works so fast and is much better than XP" . (or Vista /spit ) . It is time to move on.

The above is a opinion of course. No disrespect to anyone.
10-18-08, 04:29 AM   #65
Geeskin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
well perhaps if you pulled your thumb out your ass and got on with it other people wouldnt be trying to update it.
10-18-08, 04:31 AM   #66
Brem
Premium Member

Premium Member
Input from Mazzle

Okay guys, since I mentioned that I had written to Mazzle about our plans, I wanted to share the feedback. The replay was quite long, but I think I've gotten the essence of it summarized here in Italics

• Replacing certain add-ons would be ok. That's really a function of the add-on pack, which I don't have any prerogative to constrain.
  • Getting the Mazzifier to configure the new add-ons, on the other hand, would be handled on a case by case basis. If it's not like a feature change, then it's usually ok. If it is, then it usually is not.
  • Getting it to work with a different button add-on is OK. I would suggest using one of Tuller's add-ons, since I know he'll give permission for us to re-release a modified version of it with the UI. Just be warned that three people have tried to do this before and all of them quit. I don't think it's that hard, but it's enough of a pain in the ass that it saps the motivation out of folks.
  • Restoring basic functionality (like the text not showing up in the Mazzifier) or other bug fixes is OK.
  • Adding new features would not be ok.

When you're done, if you want to release only the modified files as a patch, you could do it pending my approval. If you want to release your changes already integrated into the core, you'd send it to me and I'd release it in the same way that I did the last core, i.e. the one that included DocEvl's fixes.

With all that said, I'm beginning to feel that we need to get this quick-fixed by getting the Mazzifier working with DUF, replace the barmod, and getting all the texts to show up in various places. When that's done, we should get what we have released.

After that, if we still have a team & motivation, I think we should think about retiring Mazzle as it exists. I'm beginning to actually see how the codebase itself is dated and will become harder to "fix" as time moves on. It's time, I believe, to create a new set of mods that while influenced by the basic functionality of what Mazzle does would not borrow any code from the original. For instance, the new compilation should probably rely not on Ace2 but rather Ace3 (or Rock).

It's time to put the MazzleUI down, make something new and maintain that in the future.

My only real concern is that while the codebase will not be copied or borrowed from that the thing we eventually come up with will look and feel enough like Mazzle that it may be considered a derivative work. And I've loved this UI and its original author enough that I don't want to be stepping on toes. What do you all think?

-----------------
MazzleUI Beta Tester
10-18-08, 08:43 AM   #67
Ironfather
A Murloc Raider
As always Brem - superb delivery! Agreed, agreed and agreed.

We need someone(s) to volunteer to take construction lead on each piece of work Brem laid out:

1) getting mazzifier to work with DUF
2) replace the barmod
3) getting the text to show up correctly

Post here so that we know you have lead on it (and others can then offer to help you) and we'll start a new thread (for each one) to track progress and reports back.

One last detail, should a team (& motivation) persist beyond the immediate gratification of getting MazzleUI patched into 3.0.2, and we decide to build a new UI - I absolutely will not be a part of a team that would reuse any of Mazzle's code - since he has always explicitly forbidden that. I'm game to long haul drive a new ui and support it; it has to be *new*. = )

Ok, we need those three volunteers to take on the above direction Brem has pointed us in!

- Ironfather
10-18-08, 08:47 AM   #68
Raegormar
A Fallenroot Satyr
If it's a complete rewrite for Ace3 or Rock (also nice) it will free mazzlefiz from this project. It can die in honor and it will be remembered in it's offspring
10-18-08, 11:30 AM   #69
scorn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

As an original mazzle user, and beta tester of many, many a softwares I would unfortunately need to concur. I took a look at the code myself and agree that it is dated and will only be a nightmare to keep resolving.

Mazzle has been and always will be an awesome ui, but it is probably time to begin clean slate to allow the advantage of flexibility. Mazzleui will be honored by many.

I love the thoughts of importing the new features as Ace3 or Rock. It seems most add-ons are going that route anyways as a core.
10-18-08, 11:38 AM   #70
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I worked most of last night on trying to get mazzifier to work...with limited success. For some reason, I couldn't get the "tab panes" to display...even when I gutted most of the xml in them (I was 'certain' that the problem was in some part of the xml; now, I'm not so sure). It was a long, convoluted effort, though...because the first thing I had to do was 'tab out' the xml file so that it was easier for me to determine what parts were children of other parts. I then started going through the lua code -- but it was getting very late, I'd worked all day and...well...I went to bed.

The first thing that needs to be done to get the Mazzifier to work (this was very simple, actually, once I found out what was wrong) is that we need to replace all of the 'this:*' calls with 'self:*' callse (where '*' represents some function. Used notepad and find and replace and voila -- got the animation and "next ->" button to display (of course, the "next->" button didn't work, but...).

I'll be honest; after going through all kinds of different LUA files in the past few days and making my own comments throughout the code so I could get an understanding of what was going on...I'm not sure I'm up for this. I *KNOW* that this can be fixed, but the longer I worked on it the more I began to wonder what I was accomplishing by perpetuating the patch.

My plan is to start writing a new interface, derivative of Mazzle's in spirit (but with NO code re-use; I will apologize to him in advance because this will not be a 'clean room' -- I've spent too much time in the past couple of days hunting my way through his code that I know I'm bound to steal an idea -- but as a developer myself I would NEVER cut and paste without his permission and he's already told us where he stands on that). Hopefully I can pick his brain once in a great while for either inspiration or direction (assuming I can somehow find his e-mail address) but if he tells me to go to hell, I can appreciate and understand that too.

Anyone who cares to is welcome to join me -- I'm not too proud to know that I'll need help (especially with project management; I'm a code junkie and have no illusions that I'm any good at that). I can be reached at kenn dot guilstorf at guilstorfs dot net (feel free to e-mail me; flames will be cheerfully ignored).

Finally, I'd like to personally thank Mazzle (whatever his real identity might be). I know it's corny and has been said a million times in the past -- but I don't think I'd have played Warcraft this long without his interface. I certainly know that I wouldn't have been as successful as I have been without it.
10-18-08, 11:54 AM   #71
Geeskin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mixsae View Post
Anyone who cares to is welcome to join me -- I'm not too proud to know that I'll need help (especially with project management; I'm a code junkie and have no illusions that I'm any good at that). I can be reached at kenn dot guilstorf at guilstorfs dot net (feel free to e-mail me; flames will be cheerfully ignored).
Well ill do skins for you. as for coding not really my area.
10-18-08, 12:16 PM   #72
legion3pm
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
mixsae i didnt change the this:* to self:* in anything and i have the buttons and animation and everything.
10-18-08, 12:29 PM   #73
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Red face

Originally Posted by legion3pm View Post
mixsae i didnt change the this:* to self:* in anything and i have the buttons and animation and everything.
LOL. Wonderful; so I'm doubly useless.

I swear, for me it didn't work before making that change and did work after that...or else I was so bug-eyed from reading through LUA that I've gone insane (which, seriously, I'm not discounting)...
10-18-08, 12:56 PM   #74
Toradol
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Banzai Gradiant

Originally Posted by fyrye View Post
Having been one of the people who helped fix Mazzle in previous updates and diving into the mazzifier code I ended up giving up and seeking alternative addons to replace those that had died or been upgraded, which inadvertantly broke mazzle further.
I since created my own addon compilation where the setup process was done outside of WoW and share it with only a few select friends (I enjoy playing wow not fixing bugs).

eePanels can be used to create hotspots
I switched out DuF for Pitbull
Upgraded Bongos to Dominos as I can still use the /Dominos toggle bags command in my hotspots
Switched out ItemRack for Outfitter
Used ElectrofluxTextronator for the Artwork and copied the Banzai Gradiant for aggro
All the while replacing addons that died along the way with working equivilants.

As a warning to all of you still using moveFrames from mazzle, Curse has an outdated version so I'll post my updated code here for those who need to re-fix it or add it to the MazzleUI
Red text = text to add

Line 79-80
Code:
 --self:Hook("MovePanelToCenter", "MovePanelToCenter", true)
--self:Hook("MovePanelToLeft", "MovePanelToLeft", true)
Line 350-357
Code:
  --local point, relativeTo, relativePoint, xoff, yoff = f:GetPoint()
 local xoff = f:GetLeft()
 local yoff = f:GetTop()
 local xtrue = UIParent:GetLeft()
 local ytrue = UIParent:GetTop()
 frameInfo.x = xoff - xtrue
 frameInfo.y = yoff - ytrue
end
It's still at times buggy when initially clicking a frame, but still serves its purpose for me.
Hello Fryre,

Thanks for you input. I wanted to ask what exactly is Banzai Gradiant is and where to get it. Also do you know a good minimap mode and chat mode.

Thanks,
Toradol....Old Mazzle user
10-18-08, 01:58 PM   #75
Lord_Twilight
A Defias Bandit
Guys to those of you discussing creating a new UI that feels as good as Mazzle please do it if he allows you. This is a great work, it really was one of the best UI's I have ever used. Though I admit, the buttons always confused me, but that might be because I was using a version where it needed to be patched to work, and I'm not sure I did it correctly.

For efficiency sake you really should start fresh, besides it will introduce a whole new bunch of people to how great the UI mod thing can be. I remember when I first got Mazzle UI, it was very soon after I started playing and I was getting very bored, but it spurred me to level! It was a great mod, let it die with love an honor, it has needed to for far to long.
10-18-08, 02:50 PM   #76
divstator
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Mazzle was a good ui, intelligently designed, well thought out. Maz put a hell of a lot of work into that ui for little more than petting of his ego. I've looked into the button issue and I can see where getting it to setup with the mazzifier could be a bit involved. Personally, I've been using Dominoes with it for quite some time and I won't say how, so don't ask. But all good things must end at some point, so "hats off" to Mazzle, thanks much for your hard work.
10-18-08, 05:14 PM   #77
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant

This is my attemp to get my MazzleUI back:

Its missing:

- Some unit frames borders
- Hot Spots
- Party members frames (im using pitbull)
- Some stuff i cant remember now

But im working on it.
10-18-08, 05:25 PM   #78
bricks139
A Murloc Raider
looks good brujo, and for every ine ekse that just wants to let mazzle be outdated and die... are you guys crazy??? there cant be another UI like Mazzle without lets face it mazzle, its the best UI there is and probly ever will be, Anyway i hope mazzle gets up and runing soon, i will patiently wait for it and help in anyway i can! thanks again Mazzle for the great UI!
10-18-08, 05:34 PM   #79
Brem
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by bricks139 View Post
looks good brujo, and for every ine ekse that just wants to let mazzle be outdated and die... are you guys crazy??? there cant be another UI like Mazzle without lets face it mazzle, its the best UI there is and probly ever will be, Anyway i hope mazzle gets up and runing soon, i will patiently wait for it and help in anyway i can! thanks again Mazzle for the great UI!
No. We aren't crazy. We've looked at the codebase. We've dug through the files that make it work. If we want to continue anything that even comes close the the mazzleui functions we love, it's going to have to be created anew. There are too many places where the patches have patches have patches. In some places, it's running totally on patches that have been supplied in the past.

With a fresh slate, we don't have legacy code to support, we don't have outdated mods to "fix" and we don't have restrictions on features. While a new UI may look something like Mazzle, it'll be totally revived, leaner and easier to maintain. It may be time for the MazzleUI to go away, but it can be replaced by something that's more pleasant to use for all involved (users and maintainers).

-----------------
MazzleUI Beta Tester
10-18-08, 05:43 PM   #80
bruj0
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Brem View Post
With a fresh slate, we don't have legacy code to support, we don't have outdated mods to "fix" and we don't have restrictions on features. While a new UI may look something like Mazzle, it'll be totally revived, leaner and easier to maintain. It may be time for the MazzleUI to go away, but it can be replaced by something that's more pleasant to use for all involved (users and maintainers).
I am very close to have a 99% MazzleUI but without the Mazzlefier, and that is imho the hardest part.
I also felt that the MazzleUI in itself had WAY too many options, that should be left to every addon to handle.
Meaby we can start with something small, a base framework without the mazzlefier seems a great idea and its what im doing.
Then its just a matter of wrinting an addon that simplifies the configuration of each addon that we use.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only