06-28-11, 08:16 AM   #1
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Submiting suggestions, it's not as easy as it sounds...

I've had some ideas on some features, tweaks and changes that would be (imo) good additions, still I have problems finding out where to exactly convey these ideas as there is no "suggestions" forums on the battle.net site, not to mention the game is developed in the US so me posting these in the EU PTR or what not forums isn't really the best way to do it.

Somehow I'd have to post my idea somewhere the Blizzard US devs hang around to increase the chances that they actually maybe see the suggestion, and more importantly I believe there should be categories in suggestions as some suggestions like Interface, bug fixing, e.g. may be more interesting for the Interface team to check out than just having a big mash of tons of weird ideas for new classes and gameplay while the more important (imo) like Interface bug fixes and new API for specific things, is left out.

Recently I for example thought that a new unit type "nameplate#" would be a good addition as it would make nameplates more usable and you could easier update debuff/buff and other information more efficiently and not having to mouse over the stack in order for the addon to be able to get new information.
Not to mention the default UI could then have a show/hide feature for buffs, debuffs, buffs you can cast, debuffs you can dispel, e.g. on the nameplates directly.
Since there is no global "max" limit on nameplates a simple API that returns the number of visible nameplates would be lovely as well, so you know how many to traverse and such.

I'd for example like to submit this idea to the Interface team but I don't know where and how, it's up to them to decide if it's worth it but I'd like to know that my suggestion at least goes in the right direction.
There is no point writing it down and placing it in the totally wrong section of the Internet. I don't expect a VIP 1:1 chat with the devs at all, but it's comforting to know that if they want to they will at least be able to check it out.
Currently posting in "General" chat wouldn't really end up any where near the devs attention as I doubt they browse all the thousand of threads created there per month to scout for suggestions. :P

Anyway that's my rant, I didn't find the right place to put it so I put it here. At least I know someone will reply on these forums and I won't feel so alone!
06-28-11, 09:13 AM   #2
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

I submitted a ticket back in late April asking about where I should post suggestions, Multiple GMs told me I was to go to the general forums and post there with the tag [Suggestion] in the front of my title :<

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah
06-28-11, 09:57 AM   #3
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I know, but they should have the suggestions forum shared between US and EU (and RU since it's part of EU really) and for example have a forum structure like this (right below the current "Support" category for example):

Code:
[Suggestions]
  + [Gameplay]
    - Quests
    - Professions
    - Achievements
    - Story
    - Raids and Dungeons
    - General
    + [Interface and Macros]
      - Bugs
      - General
  + [Armory]
    - Community API
    - General
  + [Forums]
    - MVP nomination
    - General
Those working on the various aspects can sometimes look trough what they care to look at, instead of looking at just one forum named "General" and trying to spot the threads with the tag "Suggestion".
If I was a dev I'd avoid it basically because it's a lot of work and it's not comfy to work with, it's much easier and time saving to have a specific category that I care about and sometimes check it out for ideas on what ever I am working with or if I needed some new ideas.
I guess the key here is making communication between us and the game makers better, considering the new website seems to have a more dynamic management that allows new categories to be added easier, I see no problem with this. Not to mention it's all on battle.net and the account you have is accessible from any other region so having a cross continent forum that is shared shouldn't be a problem either.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-28-11 at 10:01 AM.
06-28-11, 11:17 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
We happen to have such a forum here! I've moved the thread to it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-28-11, 12:24 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Thank you, Seerah.
11-16-11, 07:30 AM   #6
yoshimo
An Aku'mai Servant
I was also told diffrent things from general to ui and tech-forum.
I have the bad feeling that time writing ideas suggestions and bug reports on the ui is a total waste of time as a european citizen.
Hopefully it will change
11-16-11, 09:59 AM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

The Community Managers on both the US and EU forums for Blizzard have repeatedly said, over the last several years, that suggestions from BOTH forums get fed to the development team (through a series of filters, I'm sure - probably somebody sits there saying, "Hah! Impossible!" and tossing crap out).

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Submiting suggestions, it's not as easy as it sounds...