11-05-22, 04:47 AM   #1
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Question MoveAnything

Hi there,

MoveAnything is one of the greatest addon in WoW, we can easily rearrange the elements of the UI with it. In WoW 10.0 we have Edit Mode now for the same purpose but it's greatly reduced in functionality compared to MA. In Edit Mode we're still unable to move most of the elements, such as loot windows, bag frame, quest detail/achievements/character/whatever panels, roll popups and so on. With MoveAnything we can set location of literally any frame we want. It also provides a toggle for Blizzard's framestack tooltip.

This decade old addon has been updated from expansion to expansion by enthusiastic community members as the original author is inactive for a very long time. However WoW 10.0 broke the addon again. I recently found a guy who already fixed the core functionality of MA and his version is more or less working in 10.0. It still has some bugs in moving frames saving positions, taints, and other lua errors but at least it's working:

Bowbee however, clearly states he's not going to fix it furthermore as he does not undertake the addon as a maintainer. At least he accepts Pull Requests.

Would anyone in the WowInterface community able to fix the rest of the bugs listed here:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addon...nything/issues

and here
https://github.com/Bowbee/MoveAnythi...ue+is%3Aclosed

It would be very much appreciated!

(ps: I know there are Blizzmove and Drift but while those alternatives have similar functionality they do not provide the same level of customization and/or usability. Not even close. Those are rather like enhanced Edit Modes.)

Last edited by Voxxel : 11-05-22 at 04:53 AM.
02-11-23, 04:11 AM   #2
missdixy
A Kobold Labourer
Unhappy

I really miss this addon. Have you ever found a working alternative?
02-11-23, 05:40 AM   #3
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Yea, I miss it too. I still use the Bowbee version, this is still working for most of the elements I want to move. It's strange but I didn't find any newer fan update for MA so far.

I believe people are afraid of touching it because its license being "All Rights Reserved" instead of MIT or else but I believe it's huge overthink because a lot of dead addon with the same license have been revived by enthusiastic fans already such as TipTac, for a well-known example:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tip-tac - original, abandoned, license: All Rights Reserved
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/tiptac-reborn - updated by a fan

I've been following the TipTac story closely and no the new author frozn couldn't get in touch with the original author Aezay, but Curse did release the addon anyway.

Or here is Mappy, too:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mappy - original, abandoned, license: All Rights Reserved
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mappy-continued - updated by a fan

Otherwise, the current maintainer of MA, Resike is only the fourth or fifth maintainer of MoveAnything, he took it over in exactly the same way from the previous maintainer who left wow at the time.

(I might add, Resike disabled the comment section of the curse page late last year after it was revealed that he was probably encouraging players to donate on Patreon for a possible update from a fake account and that he was just milking money from people with the dead addon while not planning to develop anything, as it has been turned out now for 3 months...)

So I don't see why the license would be such an obstacle since other people also getting though it and release their own updated addons with a name suffix, such as -Reborn, -Continued, etc without any kind of legal issues.
02-11-23, 11:36 PM   #4
phrenetic
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just get BlizzMove if you are using it only for moving frames
02-12-23, 01:11 PM   #5
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
BlizzMove is not a replacement for MoveAnything at all. We're unable to save custom position for any UI elements with BlizzMove, at least it was how it worked by purpose when I checked it few years ago. So if the positions still last only until a relog then it's pretty far from the functionality of MA.

Last edited by Voxxel : 02-12-23 at 04:05 PM.
02-13-23, 04:15 PM   #6
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you tried MoveAny?

I severely miss MoveAnything but like you, I haven't found an updated version that hasn't thrown tons of errors.

It still might not be what you're looking for but this has filled my needs that MA used to do.

Cheers

Last edited by Syxx : 02-13-23 at 04:18 PM.
01-07-24, 03:31 PM   #7
Ssateneth
A Defias Bandit
MoveAny doesn't let you move custom frames added from other addons. MoveAnything does. I'm using a "functional" moveanything for classic SoD, and it pops a lua error on loading and my 2 side action bars don't have correct size based on if a druid shapeshifts or not, but it "works".

I also tried MoveAny for something as simple as moving the action bars, but it even screws that up by deleting parts of the artwork and rearranging the spell buttons needlessly. I don't want a UI overhall addon, I just want to move my frames.

I tried subscribing to the addon creator to get feedback or an update or ANY sort of message, but I got radio silence from them.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MoveAnything