12-27-08, 04:02 AM   #1
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
option to use spelllinks in tradeskill api

it would be awesome if the tradeskill api was modified to allow spelllinks in the place of indices for all the tradeskill api calls that take an index. i mean really, the index is just a means for the server to figure out which spell you mean, so why not just let us tell it directly and avoid all the silly activation and filter issues?

pre trade links, the argument could be made that somehow allowing a person without jewelcrafting to access the entire jc skill list might be a strain on the server (somehow) or give them too much access to the mysteries of wow data... but since it's clear that each toon has complete access to the entire list of all trade skill spells, why not just let them short cut around the whole tradeskill indexing system? seems to me it would result in less server traffic. mods wouldn't have to request the whole skill list everytime they wanted to cast a single spell just to make sure the indices still matched up -- they could cache and be done with it. new recipes could simply be recorded as they occur (it would be helpful if the new recipe event then included the spell link).

please?
01-06-09, 07:26 AM   #2
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
/signed
twice!

edit: .. and that's without mentioning that we have to manage filters in order to correctly read all crafts, scan again to keep track of cooldowns after an item has been crafted, etc..

To elaborate a bit (based on my experience with the tradeskill API functions), I wonder if there's really a point of only allowing the use of these functions when the TS window is opened. It would be good to have an event when a new recipe is learned too, or when a cooldown is triggered. Put simply: slightly change the functions so that they're not depending on the UI, but on the data. Typically, a function like GetNumTradeSkills() should return the exact number of recipes and not take care of the headers (or maybe it should if a given parameter is passed, there are many ways to do this imo), and not be impacted by the filters.

+1 for moar luv ! :>

Last edited by Thaoky : 01-06-09 at 07:37 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » option to use spelllinks in tradeskill api