02-08-11, 04:04 AM   #1
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Font

Hiyas, all. I recently switched to a desktop, after using an HP laptop for a long time. I loved my laptop, it just decided to no longer play sound. Ever. Any. XD ANyhow, I'm now using a run of the mill compaq, OS is Windows7 home premium. My question is, ever since I switched, the font in WoW has looked decidedly peculiar. Unless I use a pixelated font (Homespun) and set it to either 10 or 12 (12 has to be "OUTLINEMONOCHROME") all my font looks fuzzy, and smooshed. Now this comp has something called ClearText, which SUPPOSEDLY is supposed to make my fonts clearer and sharper. Asking as a total noob, does this affect in game fonts, and if so, HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT????? Nothing against Homespun, but I'd like to be able to use a reg font. The first screenie is with Homespun, and the second is with no font folder at all. (Using WoW default fonts) HALP!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_020811_043435.jpg
Views:	3356
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	5719  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_020811_044533.jpg
Views:	2705
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	5720  

Last edited by Kendian : 02-08-11 at 03:07 PM.
02-08-11, 06:37 AM   #2
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Clearfont does indeed alter the ingame fonts. If you want to alter the fonts you'll have to go into the configuration of each AddOn and change the fonts there. For example, I'm guessing you are either using Pitbull4 or STUF as unitframes. They are probably setting the monochrome and outline property. Remove the monochrome property and you're done

You can overwrite the default wow fonts by copying ttf files into the Fonts directory. This way you do not need Clearfont. They do not alter the game files in any way like this. These are the filenames:
Originally Posted by clearfont readme
  • Create the following folder:
    • <WoW directory>\Fonts\
  • Create four copies of the font file of your choice, place them in the above folder, and rename them to the following names:
    • FRIZQT__.ttf (the main UI font)
    • ARIALN.ttf (the normal number font)
    • skurri.ttf (the 'huge' number font)
    • MORPHEUS.ttf (Mail, Quest Log font)
A few of my favorite fonts(they all look very nice and readable) are:
More info here: http://vranx.com/font.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by ravagernl : 02-08-11 at 06:47 AM.
02-08-11, 07:23 AM   #3
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

I would go to your windows control panel and "Programs and Features" or "Add/remove programs" and remove that custom font smoothing program. Windows does a fine job without it and it really seems to destroy the font in WoW.

02-08-11, 03:11 PM   #4
Kendian
A Molten Giant

I've turned off ClearText ( I think) but no go, unless I use a pixelated font sized to 10, it looks horrible. The laptop I used I played either 1280x whatever or 1440 x900 and font was usually the thing that looked the best. This comp only has 1366(?)x 768, and everything looks sharper, but the font (unless I use pixelated size 10) looks horrible. I have no clue what to do now, lol. I dont mind the pixelated font, just used to having more selection than one >.<
Fake edit: Yes, I've tried lowering resolution, but it looked worse, lol.
02-08-11, 03:16 PM   #5
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
You can overwrite the default wow fonts by copying ttf files into the Fonts directory. This way you do not need Clearfont.

Good luck!
I use Malsumis font changer (found here on WoWI) to change fonts. I dont use Clearfont (the addon) Sorry if I confused you, lol. My fave font is Neuropol xcd reg or Xenara, but both look so bad, now. And I was talking of the tooltip, or data feed at top, those are the best indicators of what I mean. Sorry for the confusion. =)
02-08-11, 03:26 PM   #6
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

You sure it's not antialiasing ingame that does it? Or have they fixed that now?

Also, make sure the resolution is properly set, etc.

Maybe you just need a bigger font size?

02-08-11, 04:06 PM   #7
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
I've turned off ClearText
I think it's ClearType, and I don't beleive it affects in-game fonts (not positive...you can run the ClearType tuner in control panel to and see if any change).

Originally Posted by sacrife View Post
Also, make sure the resolution is properly set, etc.

Maybe you just need a bigger font size?
Agreed. I'd disable all addons, paste this into your chat (match scale to res) if haven't already:
/run SetCVar("uiScale", 768/string.match(({GetScreenResolutions()})[GetCurrentResolution()], "%d+x(%d+)"))
and post another screenie here.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Font