10-20-09, 08:10 AM   #1
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
WoW patches

Will WoW still run if i deleted recent/old patches like (WoW-3.0.1-to-3.0.2-enUS-Win-Update-downloader.exe) & so on... Will only keep recent patch if posbble...
10-20-09, 08:17 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes. I always delete previous patch files and keep the current ones.
10-20-09, 08:29 AM   #3
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
Tyvm! follow up question, Im lagging in every city whenever i get close to crowd whats causing this although im lagging in raids but not that kind of lagginess lol framerates going down to 1.
10-20-09, 08:36 AM   #4
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by wakolv View Post
Tyvm! follow up question, Im lagging in every city whenever i get close to crowd whats causing this although im lagging in raids but not that kind of lagginess lol framerates going down to 1.
Low frame rates are caused by a lack of computing power in terms of your Processor and Video card, as well as the amount of Ram.

Crowds and your location do contribute, but very little, and if you're getting consistent lol FPS, then you need to upgrade your computers hardware.

That being said, Dalaran does have its reputation for putting even the best computers through its paces. I've got a computer that runs the newest games at their highest settings, yet I never get more then 15fps in Dalaran.
10-20-09, 08:48 AM   #5
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
Low frame rates are caused by a lack of computing power in terms of your Processor and Video card, as well as the amount of Ram.

Crowds and your location do contribute, but very little, and if you're getting consistent lol FPS, then you need to upgrade your computers hardware.

That being said, Dalaran does have its reputation for putting even the best computers through its paces. I've got a computer that runs the newest games at their highest settings, yet I never get more then 15fps in Dalaran.
very well said... tipping you with wowinterface reputations 21000 exalted lol! thanks for helping, that helped a lot coz i only got an average PC, anyways still playable though. thanks for your time aceman and petrah

Last edited by wakolv : 10-20-09 at 08:49 AM. Reason: wrong name
10-20-09, 08:48 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you updated your display drivers recently? WoW is highly dependent on your machine having updated drivers. Old or corrupt display drivers can cause extremely poor gaming performance.

Since I have no info on your machine, I'll just offer both links for driver updates... choose the one appropriate to your video card. Be sure to completely uninstall your current display drivers and reboot your machine before installing the new ones. You can save the driver exe file to your desktop so you can easily find it before uninstalling your current ones. Also be aware that things will look all wonky on your screen until the new drivers are installed.

ATI Drivers.

nVIDIA Drivers.

If you are running a laptop or desktop with an integrated display driver, I probably won't be able to help you.
10-20-09, 09:02 AM   #7
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
Amen, running on Win7 Ultimate x64 with an AMD Athlon Dual Core x64 with 4 gigs of ram, a nVidia 260 GTX 1tb card, and around 100mb of addon's running on a good day, I pull in (using vSync) a solid 60fps everywhere except Dalaran. I can generally get anywhere between 15 - 25 on high server usage hours so, don't feel too bad about bad FPS in Dalaran, we all get it, and if someone claims they don't, well, use your best judgment. (Screen-shot or it didn't happen?)

Anyway, as aceman67 stated; lag can be caused by any number of things, it's a general rule of thumb, your PC is only as fast as your slowest piece, so say you have a top of the line Processor with a slow graphics card, it's like driving a car with one tire smaller than the rest.

If upgrading your PC is not an option (which for a lot of people, especially in this economy, it is not) you can take small steps to try and improve your FPS, try setting down your Anisotropic Filtering in the graphics settings, turning down bells and whistles like Shadows, view range, character model complexity, and streamlining your add-ons, go through each one and ask yourself "How often do I use this?" use your better judgement and you'll often find you can get rid of quiet a few using that method.

Last but not least, I recommend installing Leatrix Latency Fix available here at WoWI. it's done wonders for my latency, as well as my girlfriends laptop and a few of my friends PC's as well. Simply follow the instructions given and remember, as always, use at your own risk.
10-20-09, 09:29 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Gsusnme View Post
Amen, running on Win7 Ultimate x64 with an AMD Athlon Dual Core x64 with 4 gigs of ram, a nVidia 260 GTX 1tb card, and around 100mb of addon's running on a good day, I pull in (using vSync) a solid 60fps everywhere except Dalaran. I can generally get anywhere between 15 - 25 on high server usage hours so, don't feel too bad about bad FPS in Dalaran, we all get it, and if someone claims they don't, well, use your best judgment. (Screen-shot or it didn't happen?)

By today's gaming standards, my machine is mid range. I don't have any real FPS issues in Dalaran or in any 10/25 man raids. This pic was taken at the beginning of prime time on my server when a lot of people are logging in after work/school.

I run with settings on high, and as you can see in the screenshot my shadows are turned up (almost at the halfway mark and not higher due to the Blizz stutter bug). Vista Ultimate 64bit, Antec Truepower Trio 650w, Gigabyte EP45-UD3L, Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, 4GB(2x2GB) G-Skill DDR2 1066 MHz @ 5-5-5-15, Saphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 4870.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_082509_144511.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	3508  
10-20-09, 09:59 AM   #9
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

yes, standing still, I too, have no dalaran lag, however, as soon as i move in that city during peak hours, my processor threatens to kill my first born child ^_^
10-20-09, 10:26 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ffxiedyn View Post
yes, standing still, I too, have no dalaran lag, however, as soon as i move in that city during peak hours, my processor threatens to kill my first born child ^_^
Even when I ran a Core2 Duo 1.8GHz processor with 2 gigs of ram on XP 32bit last year, I never had severe FPS issues like that in Dal. Curious to know what you're running there. Share your specs?
10-20-09, 10:33 AM   #11
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
FYI i do have both leatrix installed (latencyfix & gfx) well i do get nice fps on off peak hours too... BTW i just updated my drivers(ATI) wanna try this out as soon as wow servers are up. 1 thing more what folders are not meant to be deleted in wow folder, planning to delete (updates, WTF, logs & data) and can you show me the complete config.wtf settings for best performance?
10-20-09, 10:48 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The Leatrix Latency Fix will not have any bearing on your FPS (DPS yes, FPS no).... your connection to the net plays no roll on how your display driver renders what is on your screen.

It is safe to delete the Cache, Interface, WTF, and Screenshots folders. Typically it is not necessary (or advisable) to delete any other folders in the games root directory. As for what's inside of the Patches/Updates folders, I cannot advise on that as I've not seen any of the techs on the official forums say to delete anything in there (not saying you can't, just saying I've not seen them say to do it). Personally, I leave em alone.

I can't really tell you what you need in your Config.wtf file as I'm not sitting in front of your comp to test things (and the suggested one on the tech forums is extremely old). I can, however, recommend that you read this sticky thread; System Performance Guide, 3.x edition.
10-20-09, 10:57 AM   #13
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
The Leatrix Latency Fix will not have any bearing on your FPS (DPS yes, FPS no).... your connection to the net plays no roll on how your display driver renders what is on your screen.

It is safe to delete the Cache, Interface, WTF, and Screenshots folders. Typically it is not necessary (or advisable) to delete any other folders in the games root directory. As for what's inside of the Patches/Updates folders, I cannot advise on that as I've not seen any of the techs on the official forums say to delete anything in there (not saying you can't, just saying I've not seen them say to do it). Personally, I leave em alone.

I can't really tell you what you need in your Config.wtf file as I'm not sitting in front of your comp to test things (and the suggested one on the tech forums is extremely old). I can, however, recommend that you read this sticky thread; System Performance Guide, 3.x edition.
im trying to reset my settings and see how it goes hoping for good results lol.. do you know where BIOS file is located particularly?
10-20-09, 10:58 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

im trying to reset my settings and see how it goes hoping for good results lol.. do you know where BIOS file is located particularly?
BIOS file? Not sure I know what you mean.
10-20-09, 11:08 AM   #15
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
BIOS file? Not sure I know what you mean.
BIOS when opening your PC 1st to show is the BIOS dont know what it means but a friend of mine(comp engr) said that its called BIOS. dont know much about comps though but i love playing them lol... anyways any other tip to increase perf for playing wow?
10-20-09, 11:17 AM   #16
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Make sure the hard drive on which World of Warcraft is installed is properly defragmented.

This needs special attention particularly after patches as the patching process tends to fragment files a great deal.

Some swapping of textures, models etc in and out of the cache will happen regardless of the amount of video ram you have (obviously the more you have the better).

But hard-drive speed (and the way fragmentation affects it) are a major contributor to "choppy animations".
10-20-09, 11:21 AM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh, I understand now. Unless you are experienced, you shouldn't be doing anything in the BIOS. One wrong setting could fry your machine.

Keep your operating system updated with the latest patches from Microsoft, and keep all of the drivers for your hardware up to date. Video card drivers especially are often times updated each month, or every few months. Keep an eye out for new drivers and update accordingly.

Keep the inside of your tower clean and free from dust bunnies. A can of air is expensive, but a necessary tool for optimal performance (overheating is a cause for poor performance), make sure that your tower is not sitting directly on the floor (dust settles the most there, especially on carpets), and be sure that it's in a well ventilated area (I see a lot of computer tables with "cubby" holes for the tower.. this is not a good place to put them as it has extremely poor ventilation).

Follow the tips given in the performance guide link I gave ya.
10-20-09, 11:37 AM   #18
wakolv
An Aku'mai Servant
Oh, I understand now. Unless you are experienced, you shouldn't be doing anything in the BIOS. One wrong setting could fry your machine.

Keep your operating system updated with the latest patches from Microsoft, and keep all of the drivers for your hardware up to date. Video card drivers especially are often times updated each month, or every few months. Keep an eye out for new drivers and update accordingly.

Keep the inside of your tower clean and free from dust bunnies. A can of air is expensive, but a necessary tool for optimal performance (overheating is a cause for poor performance), make sure that your tower is not sitting directly on the floor (dust settles the most there, especially on carpets), and be sure that it's in a well ventilated area (I see a lot of computer tables with "cubby" holes for the tower.. this is not a good place to put them as it has extremely poor ventilation).

Follow the tips given in the performance guide link I gave ya.
OK! got another question... can you link site for artworks on wowinterface? i cant find that section lol
10-20-09, 07:22 PM   #19
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Most of them will be under the Graphic UI Mods section.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-20-09, 08:05 PM   #20
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

As for Wow patches.

I back them up.

Then I wipe them.

This backup is done separately from my backup of my wow folder.

The patch programs don't come out often enough to be included in my regular back up schedule which is why I do them separately.

The advantage of backing them up means reinstalling the entire game isn't so much of a hassle - I can just drag all the patch programs back in once I've reinstalled from the DVD.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » WoW patches