03-28-08, 03:44 PM   #41
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As long as the UI has unique art or something that makes it show out more than ones that just have addons in a configured way, I'd think it is worth uploading.
03-29-08, 07:01 AM   #42
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Right well time for a small update I guess.

I've tried using WAU. A question though. Is it better to update all addons/libs at same time or pick and choose? Anyways, for the time being I've decided to stay with the standalone setup of addons. Don't know if I cba to try and change it all back to embedded. Plus it seems to work as it is, so I'm following the "if its not broken, don't try and fix it" rule.

Some small annoyances have presented themselves however. Occasionally, either upon logging in or just suddenly through gameplay, the blizzard buff frames will reappear up in the top right of the ui. Even though the "hide blizzard frames > buffs" option is checked in pitbull. I then have to go back into pitbull and uncheck + check the option again to get rid of it. Also, occasionally, the portrait pics will change from portrait to full body, even though the full body option is unchecked. Any ideas on why this just suddenly changes?

Another small beef is with Parrot. Since 2.4 the scroll areas for damage, heals and hots don't work. I've upgraded Parrot since 2.4 but still no go. Even though the options for everything to work seem to be all enabled and so on like they were b4 the patch.

Button/page swapping doesn't seem to work for me in BT3. For example, I have action bar 2 set so that when I hit shift, it changes to action bar 7 (for example). Now that part works. But when I try to hit the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 buttons for that particular buff in the new action bar (while shift button is depressed) nothing happens. I can click on the buff, but I can't use the keyboard to activate it. No idea why. I've tried fiddling around with the options but so far no luck.

Only other thing that I can think of atm is trying to use the ui between different alts. This may sound stupid but I have the ui set up for my main. I assumed any changes I made for an alt would be saved to that alt. But when I tried configuring the ui a lil differently for my mage alt (moved some bartender3 bars around, got rid of stance bar and so on) those changes were also saved to my main. I then had to spend another hour putting everything back for my main. What am I supposed to do to make sure that the configuration of all these mods is only used by one character and not a different one? Do I have to go into each and every single addon and set profiles? And do the same for any alts that want to use the ui as well? As I said, I assumed those changes would be saved in the WTF folder for that particular character. Having set the addons with profiles, will those profiles then load properly for that character?

Any help and advice is of course, always appreciated.

Thanks,

Mas
03-29-08, 11:45 PM   #43
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
re: WAU and updating addons

WAU is actually abandoned and unsupported. Personally I use JWowUpdater, which is actively developed and supported by its creator. You can find it in the Updaters forum on wowace.com, or by Googling "jwowupdater"; the actual program is hosted on code.google.com. It also supports updating addons from wowinterface, wowui/incgamers, curse, googlecode, and maybe more.

Always update all addons at once. If you use standalone libraries, make sure you disable your updater's "update even if only libs have changed" option. The way wowace.com's files script works is like this:

Addon is updated to revision 12345. New zip is created, entitled Addon-r12345.zip. Library used by Addon is updated; new zip for Addon is created, entitled Addon-r12345.1.zip. This generally causes a great deal of confusion, with people asking "why doesn't addon X work this patch? I downloaded an update 5 minutes ago!" when in fact the addon hasn't actually been modified in 6 months, and what the user is downloading is the 73rd repack of the same addon files with new library files. (Which BTW is what you're seeing with Parrot; more on that in a minute.)

re: Reappearing buff frames

If you have more than one addon that can hide the Blizzard buff frames, try turning off the hide option in all but the one you actually use to display buffs. For example, I have PitBull and SatrinaBuffFrames installed, but I told PitBull to not hide the Blizzard buff frame; since I use SBF to show my buffs, I let it handle the Blizzard buff frame. It shouldn't really make a difference, but if you're seeing it reappear, it's probably due to addons fighting about who gets to touch the buff frame.

re: Portrait bugs in PitBull

This is a known bug in PitBull, but is low priority and unlikely to be fixed any time soon, as there are more important bugs/features for its developers to spend their time on.

re: Parrot

Parrot has not been updated to work with WoW 2.4's new combat log system yet. What you downloaded was not actually an update to Parrot, but instead a repack of its zip file for an update to its embedded libraries.

Before 2.4, Parrot detected damage, healing, and similar data by parsing the strings in the combat log. If your combat log said "Your Fireball hits Murloc for 50 fire damage", the parsing engine used by Parrot would break that up to determine that the source of the action was You, the target of the action was Murloc, the ability used was Fireball, the result was a hit, the action dealt damage in the amount of 50, and the action's school was fire. Patch 2.4 changed this system so that the server no longer sends this preformatted string to your WoW client, and thus Parrot isn't given anything to parse. The new system sends raw data, which your client formats on the fly. A (totally incorrect) example of how that same thing now looks as sent from the server would be "DAMAGE_HIT, player, Murloc, fireball, fire, 50".

As you can imagine, this gives addons fantasic accuracy, and makes it much much easier for addons to watch specific combat happenings. Unfortunately it requires all addons that parsed the combat log for data to be pretty much rewritten. The author of Parrot is also the author of PitBull, CowTip, Cartographer, and FuBar, and for the time being he's put those projects ahead of Parrot. On the wowace forums he stated that he will update Parrot when he can, but suggests that until then people use another combat text addon. Personally I use Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (MSBT) and love it.

re: Bartender3

I don't use BT3; you might check the Bartender3 thread on wowace.com to see if others are experiencing the same problem or have found a solution.

re: UIs on different characters

The way settings are stored depends on the addon in question. Most addons have some kind of profile system to allow different configurations on different characters; some default to a global profile that's used for all characters, while others default to per-character profiles or even per-class profiles. I'd advise switching to character profiles for any addons you want to configure differently on different characters; most addons with profile support also support copying from one profile to another, so if you're currently using the global/default profile, you can switch to a character-specific profile and then copy the settings from the default profile. Then log on your other character, switch to the character-specific profile, and make any changes you want.

There is no way to change the profiles of all your addons at once, because there is no standardized (i.e. Blizzard-supported) way to implement profiles; it's up the addon's author to use one of several available libraries to manage profiles, or write his or her own profile system.
03-30-08, 06:03 AM   #44
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks for the response, Phanx.

Will check out JWowUpdater as well. I'll have to re-read what you wrote about library revisions and so on a few more times to make sure I properly understand it I think.

The re-appearing buff frames. Yeah I use Buffalo. Will have a look in both Pitbull and Buffalo again and check to see whats going on in each mod.

The Pitbull portrait bug...yeah well its not really a huge problem...more a cosmetic one and something I wanted to know if it was me doing something wrong or not. Nice to see its not me for a change.

About the Parrot addon. Fair enough that other mods of the author are taking priority. I may check out Mik's Scrolling Battle Text (MSBT) and see what I think of it as well.

The BT3 prob I have no idea why its doing that. Will hope that maybe Seerah has an idea on this as well. <fingers crossed>

As to the UI profiles. Well tbh, not sure I understood 100% what you were saying. I tried just now to set some of my addons to my profile (using Masaq of Khadgar for example). With some nothing happened. But when I tried doing it with BT3, as soon as I clicked on "Masaq of Khadgar" to set the profile...everything went haywire. Almost all my bars moved and some went from horizontal to vertical positions and so on. Total screw up until I reset it to default. What did I do wrong? Or am I supposed to set profile first and then rearrange everything to the way I like it? Which means all the work I've done with most of the addons will have to be re-done for the "new" profile?

Any info appreciated.

Mas
03-30-08, 09:11 AM   #45
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
As for your keybindings when you hold shift to page your bar... You most likely already have something bound to shift-1, shift-2, etc. Look in the keybindings menu to find out which it is - it may be the pet bar - I forget.

As for profiles, yes. This is how it's supposed to work. When you change to a new profile, you get the default presets. Then, make any changes you wish to that profile. But you may also copy between profiles. So, change to a new profile for altA. Then say "Copy from: default" or whichever profile you want to copy from. It then will get all changes that you made to the default profile. Any changes you make to those settings will not effect the default profile (because it's on the altA profile).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-08-08, 02:56 AM   #46
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok, update time.

Been testing/playing with the addon for a week or so now. Mostly good.

Seerah....the keybindings work. Thanks for the info there. I also "think" I have the profiles sorted now too. Thanks again.

Now I've noticed I'm getting quite a few errors popping up in bugsack. I've avoided doing a mass update with WAU until now.

I have it set so that it updates as standalone (without externals)...I'm kinda used to seeing all the extra folders now so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Upon logging in I found a number of errors/weird ****.

1. All my eepanels textures were missing. They were still there, the path name for the background textures was still there but the panels were missing. Upon typing this though, I've just remembered that I have WAU set up to "Delete before updating"....so if thats the case...I would imagine that the texture folder is being deleted with the original folder before its getting updated. Will check this out now.

2. I found a problem with pitbull. When I targetted someone, in the power bar I was seeing, instead of the mana, for example, I got "Unknown Tag CurMP" error. What should I do to resolve this? Or is this something also to do with the option in WAU "delete before updating"?

3. I use TinyTip and noticed all the tinytips were screwed. Instead of being colored and so on and at mouseover...they were all appearing bottom right of screen and monotone.

Anyways, I backed up my addons folder before using WAU and have put all the originals back into place. Hope to get some info/confirmation please so I can try this mass update again.

Thanks in advance,

Mas
04-08-08, 09:37 AM   #47
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
1. Yeah, that would probably do it.

2. That's from PitBull being upgraded to use the new DogTag-3.0 library. Syntaxes changed and so did some tags themselves. You can go in and change CurMP to just MP or just reset it to one of the default options for the power text.

3. TinyTip is being rewritten by Thrae. I haven't been keeping up on it though. If you're having issues, you can switch back to the stable version of the mod that's on this site, or use a different tooltip addon. I use Cowtip myself, but TipTac is a good one, too (also on this site).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-08-08, 10:52 AM   #48
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks for the reply Seerah.

One further question about WAU. Is it recommended to keep the "delete before updating" option checked or can it be unchecked? Does this option, when checked, delete any saved settings or anything like that? Just curious because basically with it checked, I'm going to have to replace the texture folder in epanels each and every time I update. Are there any other addons I should be aware of with issues like this?

Regarding Pitbull...I'll go back in to the tags and try and change them. Is there a complete list somewhere that I can see all the changes introduced with 2.4?

With regards CowTip. Would you recommend one over the other? I'll go and check it out anyways.

Thanks again.
04-08-08, 11:38 AM   #49
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, you don't need to keep "delete before extracting" checked. It's mainly there if you want (or like) to do clean installs of things.

You could look through the changelogs for the DogTag libraries if you like, but I'd just take a look at the dogtag wiki on wowace and the in-game dogtag help.

CowTip uses DogTags also, and is written by the same author. It's basically the PitBull of tooltip mods.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » new to UI's, trying to recreate LaveUI