11-18-14, 11:49 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Multiple Choices for Carbonite versions

I'm uncertain as to which of the multiple choices for various stages of carbonite development to use. For instance, there's:
* Rythal's latest alpha/beta version (which is at least 4 months old)
* The quick-fix "buggy" version posted by Ebnor
* And, the WOD/Pre-patch" git" version.

I am only interested in having the carbonite maps and the carbonite warehouse. (I am not using Blizzard's WoD expansion, so I don't care about it).

Which one or which combination do I need to install? I know Rythal and others are working on the "git" version, but the latest post I read today on the forum (Nov 18, 2014) says "Thats right DONT download github version of Carbonite. It was for 6.0.2 no updates till then, so its outdated and will NOT WORK." It says that in bold, red lettering.

That confused me even more than I was already! lol
-- I will appreciate some help. If my question has been answered somewhere else, I just couldn't find it. Some of the forum "Sticky's" don't seem to have helpful names.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-18-14 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

11-18-14, 04:08 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The answer is none of the above...

the git version was never meant for public use, it was for other's who wished to help with updating to the new api or working on localizing carbonite to their native language now that I have true localization, and will quite often spam your chat with debugging messages or has expected errors popping up.

The old alpha version is long dead since 6.0 launched

The unsupported hotfix works, but as they said is unsupported and very buggy because it was just bandage fixes to eliminate lua errors.

Last edited by Rythal : 11-18-14 at 04:12 PM.

11-18-14, 04:11 PM   #3
Spunkymanker
A Fallenroot Satyr
The unsupported version does make the map work(ish). In my opinion, the bugs and problems are much less annoying than Blizzard's default map. Some quest tracking works, some not at all, and some is a little off.. but workable for now.

Thank you again, Rythal, for all your hard work, can't wait to have your official release when it's done.

11-18-14, 06:43 PM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thank you, both Rythal and Spunkymanker, for replying. Your replies were concise and to the point.

I went ahead and followed all the steps given by Ebnor in his post #1. It was an excellent list of steps and easy to follow. However... after performing the process 3 times (including deleting all the Carbonite files and the WTF), I cannot get the game to run. It hangs my display and the game as soon as I load my char into the game. I have had to use Ctrl/Alt/Del each time to get out of it. I followed each of his steps and suggestions precisely, each time. The only variation was that I used the most recently-dated Ace DB submission, instead of the older one which he gave in his example. I don't know if that makes a difference, or not, but at this point, I'm not ready to start over again. So, I'm back to plain ol' WoW. For some reason, I thought a lot of players had gotten the game to work with "something" Carbonite-related? And, even last week I had the Carbonite maps and the Warehouse working. I'm not sure, but maybe I was using the Git fixes, even though I only found out today that nobody is supposed to use them, unless they are developers? I've forgotten exactly what I did last week already. I'll just wait until Rythal gets everything done as he has planned to do. I'm sure he'll do a fine job of it. Thanks again for replying.

11-18-14, 09:55 PM   #5
edcaguy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm using the GIT version for old content and disabling the addon in new zones. Because of errors in chat. Really missing routes for my herbing and mining.

11-26-14, 11:13 PM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
I'm uncertain as to which of the multiple choices for various stages of carbonite development to use. For instance, there's:
* Rythal's latest alpha/beta version (which is at least 4 months old)
* The quick-fix "buggy" version posted by Ebnor
* And, the WOD/Pre-patch" git" version.

I am only interested in having the carbonite maps and the carbonite warehouse. (I am not using Blizzard's WoD expansion, so I don't care about it).

Which one or which combination do I need to install? I know Rythal and others are working on the "git" version, but the latest post I read today on the forum (Nov 18, 2014) says "Thats right DONT download github version of Carbonite. It was for 6.0.2 no updates till then, so its outdated and will NOT WORK." It says that in bold, red lettering.

That confused me even more than I was already! lol
-- I will appreciate some help. If my question has been answered somewhere else, I just couldn't find it. Some of the forum "Sticky's" don't seem to have helpful names.
I'm quoting my own post here, since I still haven't gotten an answer on exactly what I can use in the interim while Rythal is pulling his hair out and working on a 'complete' project release.

(1) Is there any version, whether fully-complete or not, that has the maps working? Personally, I don't care about the WoD expansion mapping. I have many other characters I'm hoping to continue working on.

(2) We've been told DO NOT USE THE 'GIT' VERSION! So, that is apparently not an option to use.

(3) The "Buggy, Error-filled" interim version will not install and run for me. I've tried several times, as I mentioned in a previous post. Nobody offered any help to me at all on that issue. So, it is also not an option, at least without an adequate reply from someone.

(4) The so-called "WOD/Pre-patch" version is a complete misnomer at this point since the Blizzard "patch" came and went a while ago. Maybe a new forum sticky named "Post-WOD Developer's Alpha GIT Version" would be more accurate? That would at least separate its incomplete state from being mingled constantly in multiple other sticky's, threads and topics. It's very confusing.

Once again, I'm only asking if there is ANYTHING available currently that will let me continue playing the game with Carbonite's customized (Google) maps and the Carbonite Warehouse as I did several years ago (it's been that long). For me, the other additional Carbonite features can come later, such as questing, Dungeons, Raids, WoD stuff, etc.

Many people are saying they are using the incomplete, error-filled WOD/Pre-patch GIT version without too many problems, yet we have been told to NOT USE IT. It's for Development... not for users to use. Plain vanilla WoW is horrible without features such as the Warehouse, etc. Professions and saved armament items are impossible to locate and manage without it!

Can nobody give a concise, simple answer to such a simple question? The forum structure (as convoluted as it is) offers no clear, definitive answer for users (except maybe for experienced developers who don't even need to ask!). I'm not one of them. (grin). Or, at least, I cannot find the answer buried within the multiple, unrelated topics, etc. It's all mixed up with no logical order. I for one will appreciate some help so that I can resume playing the game instead of waiting for a complete overhaul of Carbonite, which could take until after even a new expansion is released a year or so from now. That's just a guess.

I am not pushing Rythal to go any faster. I am not complaining about all the wonderful effort he's applying. I'm merely asking if there is some way to get a useable, minimal "core product" out for us to use while he's tidying up the remaining issues. As it stands now, there is no Carbonite addon, and hasn't been for a year or two. It's a lot of work to overhaul every aspect of Carbonite's great features. I'm just hoping for something workable until then. For me, maps and warehouse top the list of 'core features."

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-26-14 at 11:16 PM.

11-27-14, 06:31 AM   #7
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
I'm quoting my own post here, since I still haven't gotten an answer on exactly what I can use in the interim while Rythal is pulling his hair out and working on a 'complete' project release.

(1) Is there any version, whether fully-complete or not, that has the maps working? Personally, I don't care about the WoD expansion mapping. I have many other characters I'm hoping to continue working on.

(2) We've been told DO NOT USE THE 'GIT' VERSION! So, that is apparently not an option to use.

(3) The "Buggy, Error-filled" interim version will not install and run for me. I've tried several times, as I mentioned in a previous post. Nobody offered any help to me at all on that issue. So, it is also not an option, at least without an adequate reply from someone.

(4) The so-called "WOD/Pre-patch" version is a complete misnomer at this point since the Blizzard "patch" came and went a while ago. Maybe a new forum sticky named "Post-WOD Developer's Alpha GIT Version" would be more accurate? That would at least separate its incomplete state from being mingled constantly in multiple other sticky's, threads and topics. It's very confusing.

Once again, I'm only asking if there is ANYTHING available currently that will let me continue playing the game with Carbonite's customized (Google) maps and the Carbonite Warehouse as I did several years ago (it's been that long). For me, the other additional Carbonite features can come later, such as questing, Dungeons, Raids, WoD stuff, etc.

Many people are saying they are using the incomplete, error-filled WOD/Pre-patch GIT version without too many problems, yet we have been told to NOT USE IT. It's for Development... not for users to use. Plain vanilla WoW is horrible without features such as the Warehouse, etc. Professions and saved armament items are impossible to locate and manage without it!

Can nobody give a concise, simple answer to such a simple question? The forum structure (as convoluted as it is) offers no clear, definitive answer for users (except maybe for experienced developers who don't even need to ask!). I'm not one of them. (grin). Or, at least, I cannot find the answer buried within the multiple, unrelated topics, etc. It's all mixed up with no logical order. I for one will appreciate some help so that I can resume playing the game instead of waiting for a complete overhaul of Carbonite, which could take until after even a new expansion is released a year or so from now. That's just a guess.

I am not pushing Rythal to go any faster. I am not complaining about all the wonderful effort he's applying. I'm merely asking if there is some way to get a useable, minimal "core product" out for us to use while he's tidying up the remaining issues. As it stands now, there is no Carbonite addon, and hasn't been for a year or two. It's a lot of work to overhaul every aspect of Carbonite's great features. I'm just hoping for something workable until then. For me, maps and warehouse top the list of 'core features."
"* The quick-fix "buggy" version posted by Ebnor" - works for me, but i did have to disable some other addons to get it work. All things before WoD works, in Wod map works, most of quest works, warehouse works, social dont, even i did some changes to get Zygor to work. U have to use the latest Ebnor fix.

Last edited by ircdirk : 11-27-14 at 06:33 AM.

11-27-14, 12:54 PM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thank you, ircdirk, for your reply.

When I attempted 3 times to get Ebnor's fix working, I had all addons disabled, and followed all his other steps. It still failed to work for me. I may have been overlooking something, but I cannot imagine what it might be. It should be a straight forward process, since he outlined the steps so nicely. And, 'yes,' I used the latest versions of everything that he suggested. -- Very kind of you to reply. Thank you.

11-27-14, 01:13 PM   #9
matt_b19
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hmm

Don't hold your breath waiting on Carbonite. As yesterdays posts show Rythal still hadn't been through the portal into Draenor, so we have to assume that he doesn't really play the game any more. In fairness to him, if he was still playing wow he would have started fixing Carbonite during beta or at least PTR and he didnt.

Maybe Rythal just needs to admit that he isnt over interested any more and perhaps hand over the baton to someone who has an interest.

I have got used to playing with Blizzards system now and won't go back.

11-27-14, 01:40 PM   #10
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by matt_b19 View Post
Hmm

Don't hold your breath waiting on Carbonite. As yesterdays posts show Rythal still hadn't been through the portal into Draenor, so we have to assume that he doesn't really play the game any more. In fairness to him, if he was still playing wow he would have started fixing Carbonite during beta or at least PTR and he didnt.

Maybe Rythal just needs to admit that he isnt over interested any more and perhaps hand over the baton to someone who has an interest.

I thought of that myself, but it doesn't really matter. There are many people who are advanced players who have been there and everywhere else. Those same people have been supplying information to him and it can be used to find/fix current Carbonite problems which are preventing all the rest of the world from using the addon. And, your comment doesn't explain why the addon doesn't work for "non-WoD" users. Just like the rest of you, I'm hoping for a breakthrough that will allow some semblance of Carbonite, as it used to be.

11-27-14, 01:52 PM   #11
aslanruler
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Cool On the Home Front

Hmm

I briefly took the time to read all of your posts thus far and quite frankly, I think you are way off base. The reason Rythal hasn't been through the portal as of the post he said that in, is because he has been so busy trying to fix Carbonite. According to both Rythal and the folks working on getting Carb up and running again, some of Carb's core coding had to be rewritten from the ground up.

Which means Rythal had to figure out why it was coded the way it was in the first place, then figure out how to adjust it without throwing the entire addon out of kilter. As Rythal isn't one of Carbonite's original authors, he probably had to reverse engineer Carb to an extent that, up until WoD, simply wasn't needed.

I don't know LUA, don't know how to program addons, and really have only taken a few introductory programming classes, so I can't speak with any authority other than my own logic and common sense. There have been daily posts, there is a version of Carb Rythal has going that is getting closer to release by the day, with lots of people troubleshooting it and finding/fixing bugs.

I, personally, would rather spend a month or so without Carb, than an entire expansion of a buggy, half complete Carb.

I truly don't know what to tell the original poster, except to hang in there and wait patiently, and, God Willing, we will all get a nice Christmas present of Carbonite.

To Rythal and all the other folks bug hunting and localizing, and who knows what else, keep up the great work and don't let pessimists drag you down!

Stay strong and code on.

11-27-14, 10:08 PM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Hmm

Not everyone is in a rush to 100, Almost everyone I know ran through the portal into laggy over populated zones only to spend about 12 hours to grind through the content and be finished with the expansion. I don't raid, so why would I want to be 100 just so I can stand around with nothing to do again.

Yes I still play the game, and 99.9% of what went into fixing the addon never required going through the portal.

The only thing not working on the other side is the green texture for garrisons which can be helped by actually standing in a garrison, but if I really wanted to waste time I could fix even that without going through.

11-28-14, 11:47 PM   #13
ozzydreamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Not everyone is in a rush to 100, Almost everyone I know ran through the portal into laggy over populated zones only to spend about 12 hours to grind through the content and be finished with the expansion. I don't raid, so why would I want to be 100 just so I can stand around with nothing to do again.

Yes I still play the game, and 99.9% of what went into fixing the addon never required going through the portal.

The only thing not working on the other side is the green texture for garrisons which can be helped by actually standing in a garrison, but if I really wanted to waste time I could fix even that without going through.
Please try to pay no attention to him Rythal. If he truly didn't want Carbonite, why would he be here in the first place? The loyal will wait till you decide to release a current version of Carbonite. I miss it, but am willing to wait for it to be right, instead of rushed.

11-30-14, 01:22 AM   #14
Kreelor
A Firelord

To Rythal

This is a question for Rythal:

Dear Rythal, will you please tell me if you are using any addons at all while you play WoW, and which ones?

If you are using any version (or portion) of Carbonite, which one are you using, please?

My knowing what you are using may help me to play the game, just like you seem to be doing. Otherwise, I can't play 'effectively' until you finally complete Carbonite the way you've planned to do.

11-30-14, 01:34 AM   #15
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I actually use a lot of addons Carb itself should be ready for public release soon, the maps themselves are working near flawlessly, warehouse and quests both have one small issue which does not impact them running, just missing feature.

------------------------------
Ackis Recipie List
Addon Control Panel
AdiBags
Advanced Tradeskill window
Auctionator
AutoRepair
BankItems
Bartender4
BetterPowerBar
BugGrabber
Bugsack
Carbonite (all parts enabled now, running the github version)
Collectinator
DBM
Elkano's Buffbars
Emotomania
Errormonster
Fishing buddy
Gathermate2 data - Carb edition
Gnosis
Healbot
Loggerhead
Lua browser
Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Mobinfo2
MyRoleplay
NugComboBar
OmniCC
OPie
Oqueue
Ovale
Pettracker
Prat
ProfessionsVault
Recount
Sell-O-Matic
Shadowed Unit Frames
Smartbuff
Tidy Plates
TipTac
Titan Panel
WIM
Xloot

11-30-14, 01:49 AM   #16
Kreelor
A Firelord

Good grief, Rythal! That's a lot of addons!

How can you tell what Carbonite is doing/not doing? ha ha. I see that you are using some addons that may do some 'warehouse-type' functions. If you froze those particular addons, would you maybe have more incentive to fix the Carbonite Warehouse function? grin.

I'm happy to hear that a release of some sort is coming soon.

One last question:

Is it "safe" for me to try to use the github version now? I've read that users are NOT supposed to use it, for fear of it scrambling something else on their systems. That's why I haven't done it.

Thank you for providing a complete answer to my previous post.

11-30-14, 02:28 AM   #17
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Half the addons I use, I don't even know what they are doing, or duplicate other addons and have been installed since before MoP, I'm bad about installing addons and forgetting about them.

As for how I tell what Carbonite is doing / not doing, at this point I know almost inside and out what it's doing so I can quickly test parts or examine it. I also keep a standalone version of WoW installed with nothing but Carb, Prat, bugstack and buggrabber so I can quickly test if a bug I see is caused by other addons or not.

Incentive to fix stuff, I've always got incentive and breaking apart the addon like it has been provides me even more as it allows me to do things I wanted to do like updates to warehouse to add auto-repair and auto-sell which I never did before because Carbonite being one large do everything addon meant adding more features added more bloat to the people who didn't want it. Once it's released in the new have it your way aka "install what you want" I can justify it. Adding auto-sell won't impact anyone who isn't using warehouse. That's just one example.

As for the git version, yes it's now at a point it can be used. The 2 main things it doesn't have, 1 is for level 100 characters only, and warehouse doesn't yet support the reagent bank.

11-30-14, 03:19 AM   #18
Kreelor
A Firelord

Rythal, of ALL the things I've read in posts everywhere on this forum, the one you just posted has to be the most informative of all, at least it is to me. Wonderful! Thank you. Except for the Warehouse 'Reagent' bank not working, I'm happy. The problem I have with the Reagent bank not working is that I have filled it with items from each of my char's (and I have over 30 of them across 5 realms! Yikes!). Knowing which char has what and how many of each items for Professions is impossible without my now having to extract those items from the Reagent bank(s). lol

Anyway, your post is great news to me. I'll try the github version. There are no directions (step-by-step) to tell me how to do it, but I'll manage by trial and error. At my age, I'm lucky to even boot the game up!

Edit: If I knew that it would be only a matter of days until you release what you want, I'd wait and avoid the hassle. This is only comment, not a request to know when you'll release.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-30-14 at 03:22 AM. Reason: an afterthought

11-30-14, 03:48 AM   #19
ozzydreamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I actually use a lot of addons Carb itself should be ready for public release soon, the maps themselves are working near flawlessly, warehouse and quests both have one small issue which does not impact them running, just missing feature.
Thanks for all of your hard work Rythal. We very much appreciate it.

11-30-14, 05:41 AM   #20
Kreelor
A Firelord

I got the github thing working. Maps seem great. One exception: No mining nodes show up, even though the options have all been checked to show them. Haven't tried herbs yet. And, I see no "Route" option?

I just thought I'd add only these few comments, since I also found a number of other issues (not related to WoD). Just Carbonite, itself.

-- Warehouse works only about 1/2 way. I'm not referring to the Reagent bank. The warehouse feature only works when I move my cursor over an item in one of my char's bags; it shows the number(s) of that item held by current char and other char's, but only in their local bags. It doesn't show what they have in the bank itself. Another major problem with it for me is that the Warehouse option "Show All" doesn't work at all. There is no list shown with icons or any data at all. It's just blank, which defeats the purpose. heh heh. Maybe you're still working on that, too, even though it has nothing to do with the Reagent feature. Additionally, it doesn't show any info on the "Timeless" epic items, no matter where they are placed in a char's local bags or backpack. Also, an error is reported when first opening the Warehouse (on each char). I won't report the other issues I've found, since you probably know what they are. But, if you want to know... I'll be happy to list them.

Nevertheless, it's really good to have some functionality back again. Thanks, Rythal!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Multiple Choices for Carbonite versions