05-15-10, 10:38 PM   #1
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Sidewinder X6 keyboard

i currently just got this keyboard. its really neat and quite an upgrade from my old saitek eclipse ii keyboard. the x6 comes with "macro buttons".
was just wondering if there is way i can use them for binding in wow?
like use them for general use in wow. thanks.
05-15-10, 11:39 PM   #2
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You'll probably need to use the bundled macro software to assign each key a combination of keystrokes.
05-15-10, 11:49 PM   #3
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

well their made for macros, i dont wanna use them as macros, i wanna use them keystrokes.
05-16-10, 12:02 AM   #4
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes you can do keystrokes with it. When you install the software log into wow. If you hit esc and then open the key bind menu you should have a section for the keyboard.
05-16-10, 12:45 AM   #5
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It depends on whether WoW recognises the extra keys as unique keys or not. I know a lot of gaming keyboards and devices simply let you rebind whatever key you want to any of the new 'macro keys'.
05-16-10, 01:04 AM   #6
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by xandora View Post
It depends on whether WoW recognises the extra keys as unique keys or not. I know a lot of gaming keyboards and devices simply let you rebind whatever key you want to any of the new 'macro keys'.
wow did not recognize the new buttons, is there an alternative to make them work in wow?
05-16-10, 01:28 AM   #7
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Did you check out the bundled software that came with the keyboard?

Just quickly browsed the MS page for that keyboard, and I'm pretty sure the macro keys are exactly that. You can record macros to them in game and out of game using the software that comes with it. You can't make then become NEW keys. Just combinations.
05-16-10, 09:45 AM   #8
Taryble
A Molten Giant

You can do what I did with my Nostromo - I used it's software to set all of it's keys to really weird modified keypresses. You know, ALT+CTRL+G and such. That worked fairly well. :-)
05-16-10, 05:30 PM   #9
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I went simple with my N52, The left 3 keys are shift, ctrl and alt. While the rest and 1 to =. Scroll up is target next enemy, scroll down is target next friendly.

Works like a dream!
05-17-10, 08:59 AM   #10
Chibi
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I left my n52 closer to stock for keybindings so in a pinch i can still hit stuff on the keyboar (an x6 sidewinder, double relevance!) the number keys are 1-= and the number pad 0 and 1 for 13 and 14, wheel up/down are bound to unused F# keys, and the thumb buttons are modifies (ctrl/alt).

On topic, the X6 can't be used to generate "new" buttons or even just "Generic Button #" but using the software (required) you can bind the macro keys to any keystroke or combination/macro you like. Keepin in mind of course that the most you should do with them for WoW is bind to a keystroke or a modified keystroke, since any full on macro's will be in violation of the ToS/EULA. (Most of mine are mapped as shift modified numbers)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Sidewinder X6 keyboard