08-26-10, 10:26 AM   #1
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lag issues after video card change??

At first i thought realm was just laggy, but no one else wass complaining. So that left my pc and/or DSL. So i loaded wow on my laptop(wireless) and lag wasn't an issue. I only noticed the lag becoming an issue after upgrading my main pc to an HD 5750...ya wish i'd gotten 5770... anyway i moved it old video card hd 3650 to my home pc from a gs7600. it's a s939 system so it a bit old, but never was super laggy, just fps wasnt great. So I figured the 3650 was better than the 7600 by a bit. Since install tho i've had good frame rates, but laggy as heck. can log on laptop (2 accounts) and stand in same spot and have 200ms lag or less?? while the pc sits anywhere from 800 to 1200ms with or without the laptop running.

I uninstalled the gs 7600 drivers powered down instlled the 3650 and installed newest catalyst driver for the 3650. dunno what else to do, no viruses no horrible errors in the regestry...so what gives? Does the MB having a nvidia NB just refusing to wprk well with the ati installed?
08-26-10, 10:44 AM   #2
blkdrgn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI.

Also do you have a good enough rig to push that 5750? IE PSU, Proper power plugs/Mobo 4/8pin plugged in?

Check vid settings, all that jazz.

Basically make sure your new vid card is working as it should with y our system.

**Does it lag on other games? Do you have a benchmark app?
Missconstrew 80 Mage
-Many other lower level alts=)
08-26-10, 10:55 AM   #3
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Everything is working as it should be except lag in WoW irregardless of realm. Since FPS is fine I don't know what a benchmark would show unless there is a latency benchmark...

ok i need to be more specific i got several systems in 2 locations.
Parents house 4(3 wired) pc network w/ wireless 2-4 connections
( best dsl speed) with my main rig there no lag or fps issues there. 600s psu 4gb ddr2 5750 am2 tri-core cpu forget speed atm.

@Home
I have my old main rig
s939 2gb ddr 400...old video gs 7600....now 3650. 420 psu

I uninstalled the gs7600 drivers and then powered down and installed the 3650 card and powered up. I then installed freshly D/Led ati catalyst drivers for the 3650.

Last edited by Tithulta : 08-26-10 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clearing up thoughts
08-26-10, 11:12 AM   #4
Tithulta
A Black Drake

ok just logged of LoTRO and lag was minimal 56.6ms or so

WoW is something like 600 standing in Org 800+ in dal
08-26-10, 12:01 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
ok just logged of LoTRO and lag was minimal 56.6ms or so

WoW is something like 600 standing in Org 800+ in dal
Your latency (56ms) has absolutely nothing to do with your video card. Latency is all about your internet connection.

Update your NIC card drivers and install Leatrix Latency Fix. If that does not help, contact your ISP.
08-26-10, 12:54 PM   #6
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Awesome thanks Petrah I hope that Helps....hadnt thought about updating the NIC drivers, but why would the latency be less in LOTRO than WOW?
08-26-10, 01:42 PM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Latency has mostly to do with the "path" the information takes to get from your computer to the WoW realm server, and back. Update your NIC drivers, check your router. Once that's done, there's really nothing you can do about latency.

When I talk about the "path" the info takes - when you connect to a server, you're usually not directly connected straight to it. The information bounces from your PC to your router, to the cable/dsl modem, then to your ISP, and then it'll usually hit 2-8 other servers that keep passing the information along, and THEN it get to the WoW realm server.

It's sorta like taking a road trip - every time you change the road you're on, that's the equivalent of the information having to go through another server. Every server can delay the info by a little bit.

Latency would be different between LOTRO and WoW because they're taking different paths to different locations, too - one's going to, say, Dallas via I-35, and the other's going to New Orleans via I-20. (examples that make more sense if you live in the Austin or San Antonio metro areas in TX )

Last edited by Taryble : 08-26-10 at 01:48 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Lag issues after video card change??