05-20-10, 11:27 AM   #1
Ither
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WoW Wireless Headsets

So.. Does anyone have them?

I picked up a set from NewEgg and I'm not sure what I think. Lets just say last night I didn't hesitate at requesting an RMA. Few things I noticed;
  • Voice effects were kinda cool.
  • The headset cover your entire ear to cancel out noise, however after 30 mins my ears were sweating.
  • They are a tad heavy
  • The wireless f'n RAWKS! It' by far the best I've ever experienced.

I'm not sure if they need to break in or not, don't know. I'm torn. One thing that REALLY bothers me is sound setup. I have a fairly powerhouse computer; fully water cooled X58 custom. This rig cost me almost $4500 in parts when I built it. Whenever you plug in the dongle and you sync the headset, nothing switches in Windows 7 Ultimate. You have to actually go into your system audio and tell it to use the WOW Headset for output/input. Then you have to do the same inside WOW's options otherwise you end up with what I experienced last night. Vent in my headset and WOW still playing on my desktop.

To think of it, I didn't try wired speakers. My Z5500's work off an Optical port on my Mobo (I have 7.1 HD onboard chipset.) I wonder if I go to the wired cables on my Z5500 if it will auto-switch.

I'm still not 100% sure what it would be like in a 3-4hr raid session.
05-20-10, 11:39 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

So far I have yet to find anything that connects audio by USB to auto-switch. I deal with recording interfaces daily at work and every time we set up a new one we have to go in to the audio controls in windows 7 and tell the system to use that as default for input and output.

I've found the same to be true when it comes to WoW and i connect a USB headset. That's not to say they don't exist. I just personally haven't come across one that does.

The air flow issue is common for closed-back headphones. Some designs use cloth covered padding as opposed to the vinyl covering which is less breathable. Not to mention the heat generated by the electronics in a wireless system as well as the light are going to add to the issue.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 05-20-10 at 11:44 AM. Reason: tacos
05-20-10, 11:43 AM   #3
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
So far I have yet to find anything that connects audio by USB to auto-switch. I deal with recording interfaces daily at work and every time we set up a new one we have to go in to the audio controls in windows 7 and tell the system to use that as default for input and output.

I've found the same to be true when it comes to WoW and i connect a USB headset. That's not to say they don't exist. I just personally haven't come across one that does.
That was my thought too. It's not too big of a hassle. I'm more curious about weight and comfort. We all know how it is when we raid LOL. I'm trying to find the justification to keep them over a pair of wired headsets that are light, small, and not too annoying.

This is what I usually raid with;

05-20-10, 11:47 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Yeah those logitech headsets are quite nice. Lightweight and very breathable. I use something similar when i raid (which isn't very often) though i personally route my voice through the headset and let the game sounds still come out of the speakers. This way i can leave the headset as my default recording device and vent picks it up automagically.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-20-10, 12:59 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Here's a recent thread with some more opinions, etc.: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32318
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » WoW Wireless Headsets