09-26-10, 04:07 PM   #1
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Error with update

Sooo I wanted to play WoW on my laptop (which has always worked without any problems). Now after a few months of not playing on my laptop it seems my WoW has to be updated (the whole 3.3.3 and 3.3.5 part I think) but it just won't work since I always get an error at 70 while updating. The first patch went fine tho.

Blizzard Updater was unable to read the file "C:\Games\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at C:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the update. (The data being read was "Wow.exe", and the error code was 0.) If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (Converter::Load)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

Is the error I'm getting. Now I know I had similiar errors before around 70% but those were simply fixed by right clicking the Launcher.exe thing and loading it as administrator. However that doesn't work here. Now I doubt it's the broken CD part as I don't even use a CD. Corrupted hard drive sounds strange too as it has always worked flawless.

I tried the repair tool but after a loong loooonnng time (probably when it came to the backup.mpq file) it basically told me it couldn't fixed it and I need to reinstall my game.

Now I hope some of you guys know a better way to fix this cause I really don't want to install everything again, not to mention I don't even have the install CD's here atm. It's very frustrating as I never had any problems before and I didn't change a danm thing on my laptop for as far as I know.

IF I would eventually have to reinstall everything, what would be the fastest and easiest way? (so I don't have to redownload 4000 patches etc.)

Cheers,

Led

p.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum part.
HALP!
09-26-10, 04:26 PM   #2
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You can hope to find a mirror of that MPQ hosted somewhere, but I do not think that is a good solution because depending on the series of patches the user applied, the MPQs are not unique (for example, a fresh install of Wrath will jump from patch 3.0 to 3.2 directly in a large patch, but another user might have gone 3.0 -> 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 -> 3.1 -> 3.2 as incremental patches during the lifetime of the game).

Your best option is really to find the Wrath DVD and install from there. The Wrath DVD contains both TBC and Vanilla so it basically installs the full 3.0. After installation, it will patch 3.0 -> 3.2 -> 3.3 -> 3.3.2 -> 3.3.3 -> 3.3.5 (About 2.1 gb of patches)

If you cannot find your Wrath DVDs, then go login to your battle.net account at, and under "Manage Games", click on WoW, then click the installer download links to download WoW - It is a downloader that allows you to choose which copy of WoW you wish to install (vanilla, TBC or Wath) and on choosing Wrath, it will download the same installer and data as the Wrath DVD (This is about 6 gb).

All in all, this will require about 6 gb of installer downloads, and about 2.1 gb of patches. The 3.3.x installers can be re-used (about 219 mb).

Last edited by Xinhuan : 09-26-10 at 04:29 PM.
09-26-10, 04:29 PM   #3
Canities
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
If you have a working version of WoW on another computer you can just copy it over to your laptop, had the same issue with my netbook before and did exactly that. Only thing you need is something large enought to copy it over with (an external harddrive for example).

Cani
09-26-10, 04:31 PM   #4
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The fastest solution though is if you have a friend that also plays WoW, just copy his entire WoW folder using a portable hard disk or something. The game doesn't need to be installed, you can copy/paste WoW anywhere to run it directly.
09-26-10, 06:38 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Corrupted hard drive sounds strange too as it has always worked flawless.
Nah, I couldn't have cavities...my teeth have always been flawless.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-27-10, 01:19 AM   #6
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Riiiight, cheers for the help guys. But apparently the solution was (ridiculously) easy.

I just went to that particular file (C:\Games\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ) and deleted it. The patch updater automatically made a new one and everything seems to be working fine now.

Imo a strange problem with an even more stupid solution but ah well. It works.
09-27-10, 11:38 PM   #7
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It will be even easier in Cataclysm. MPQ corrupted? Just delete it and the streaming-launcher and/or in-game streamer will just redownload it.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Error with update