04-03-12, 10:17 PM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WoW crashing on log out/exit

Update:
The cause of this issue has been identified, and reported to Blizzard as a bug here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4366253010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Cross-posted on WowAce)

Maybe 2 out of 5 times, when I attempt to log out or exit the game, WoW crashes with the following message:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!

I do not believe this is a hardware issue, because it happens on two different computers, my desktop and my boyfriend's laptop. It has happened under Win7 Ultimate (64-bit), Win7 Home Premium (64-bit), and WinXP Professional (64-bit). It happens with both the 32-bit WoW client and the 64-bit one. My desktop has gotten a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, fresh install of Windows, and fresh install of WoW since the problem began occurring (though this problem was not the motivation for the hardware upgrades ). Also, I've noticed that if I reload the UI immediately before logging out or exiting, this never happens. For these reasons, I believe the issue is being caused by an addon.

However, because this doesn't happen 100% of the time, and it seems to take about 5 minutes after logging or reloading the UI before it can happen, I haven't felt like spending my whole weekend trying to identify which of my 100+ addons is causing it yet.

Has anyone had, or heard of, a similar problem, or have any suggestions for types of addons that may be able to cause such a problem? I'm mainly looking for any tips on quicker ways to narrow it down than having to be logged in for 5+ minutes between logging out and enabling/disabling some more addons.

I can post detailed crash logs and/or system specs if someone wants them.

Edit:
Here is a list of my addons. I omitted the ones that I've installed very recently for brevity, since the problem has been going on since at least December. I included a brief description next to my private addons.
Code:
!!AceDBMod - copy of AceDB-3.0 modified to default to Default profile instead of per-character, with minor version set to 99999 so it overrides all the embedded copies in my other addons
!!Sandbox - miscellaneous testing things, mostly API tests that simply print messages when events/functions happen
!BlizzBugsSuck
!BugGrabber
!ClassColors
amiWideTradeSkills
Ampere
AuctionLite
BadBoy
BadBoy_CCleaner
BadBoy_Guilded
BadBoy_Levels
BagBrother
Bagnon
Bagnon_Config
Bagnon_GuildBank
Bazooka
Bazooka_Options
BetterBlizzOptions
BetterKeyBinding
Broker_LFG
Broker_PlayedTime
Broker_TicketStatus
BugSack
Butsu
BuyEmAll
Clique
ColorTools
ConfirmLeaveParty
CoolLine
Crossdresser
CrowBar
Diplomancer
Dresser
DropTheCheapestThing
Examiner
Exonumist
GatherSageCT
GetToThePoint
Grid
GridStatusHealingReduced
GridStatusHealTrace
GridStatusParty
GridStatusRes
HatTrick
HideBlizzardFrames - hides some default UI frames, basically PitBull's HideBlizzard module modified to be a standalone addon
Hydra
ImprovedTotemFrame
ItemTooltipCleaner
jExp
LearningAid
LFGTabs
Macaroon
MacaroonBound - Broker plugin replicating Macaroon's minimap button
MacaroonBroker
MacaroonProfiles
Mapster
NoGuild - filters out guild solictation whispers and ignores their senders
Notes
oGlow
OmniCC
OmniCC_Config
OPie
oUF
oUF_Phanx
PhanxBind -- defines a function to apply my preferred keybindings, does nothing on its own
PhanxBorder -- adds borders to some frames
PhanxBot -- automatically declines stuff, repairs, etc.
PhanxBuffs
PhanxChat
PhanxMedia -- custom SharedMedia
PhanxMinimap -- basic custom minimap
PhanxMod -- miscellaneous stuff, mostly copy/pastes of tiny addons
PhanxTooltip -- basic custom tooltip
PhanxWatchFrame -- basic WatchFrame adjustments
Postal
Progress
QuestMyMap
ShieldsUp
SmoothDurability
Squire2
Squire2_Config
StealthCompanion
tekPad
tekPlayerMenu
teksLoot
tekticles
TomTom
TradeTabs
TypoHistory
VendorBait
WhereAmI
WhisperColor
xMerchant

Last edited by Phanx : 04-09-12 at 01:42 AM.
04-04-12, 12:07 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I also used to get that error (more or less) and it usually occurred while either reloading the UI or entering the world after switching characters.

In my case, though, every time I got the error only one addon was mentioned in the crash log text: Learning Aid. That addon was mentioned specifically in the error log for every time that error occurred. Here's a link to the ticket I filed Learning Aid Bug Ticket on CurseForge. Thankfully, Learning Aid was updated (not specifically for that error, but the update had the side effect of curing it for me....) and that error has stopped happening.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-04-12, 12:41 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
That used to be a popular error listed on the wow forums a few years back. I was plagued of this back then when everyone else seemed to have the problem. But I don't recall it ever happening since at least cata or maybe before that so I assumed some of it was a wow fault that they fixed. Of course my computer has been changed since then so it could of course have been a hardware compatibility problem as well.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
04-04-12, 01:01 AM   #4
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Well, there's currently six #132 threads within the first 2 pages of the Tech Support Forums, so it's definitely still around.
04-04-12, 01:32 AM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This wasn't too difficult to reproduce.

It appears to be caused by calling GetTrainerServiceCost on an index out of bounds. Simply typing /run GetTrainerServiceCost(1) while not talking to a trainer will immediately crash the client.

It probably isn't the only function that does it, but I can tell you it definitely does.

edit: Upon closer inspection, calling GetNumTrainerServices() after talking to a trainer continues to return the number of items that trainer had, even if you aren't talking to them. This could easily lead to an addon calling GetTrainerServiceCost while you aren't interacting with a trainer.

A workaround would be calling a function that fails gracefully like GetTrainerServiceInfo on the index and only call GetTrainerServiceCost if it succeeds.

Last edited by semlar : 04-04-12 at 01:55 AM.
04-04-12, 11:38 AM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Even stranger, running 32-bit WinXP Pro, it comes up with a "No disk in drive" error several times before finally crashing with the fatal error above.
04-04-12, 02:19 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
That used to be a popular error listed on the wow forums a few years back. I was plagued of this back then when everyone else seemed to have the problem. But I don't recall it ever happening since at least cata or maybe before that so I assumed some of it was a wow fault that they fixed. Of course my computer has been changed since then so it could of course have been a hardware compatibility problem as well.

Just an FYI about those errors that show up in the Errors folder when you crash; when your game client crashes, those logs are designed to tell you that there is something wrong with your machine. Could be a hardware, software, driver, or even a key-logger related issue. The Wow technicians that help with these types of errors use a special tool so that they can read those error logs. They can then help you determine the cause of the crash.

It is very rare, although it does happen on occasion, that the game client itself will cause those crash error reports. When you get them a copy of it goes into the Error sub folder within the game folder, and the other copy gets sent to the devs who deal with the game client.

Any time the game crashes and you get an error log in that folder, and after you've made sure to test things with a clean testing bed (fresh Interface, WTF and Cache folders with *no addons*, updated drivers and up to date Windows patches) paste a recent error log in the tech support forums along with a copy of your dxdiag. The techs and/or long time volunteers can help you narrow down the cause of the crash. If it's determined to be a game client issue, the techs will push that error log through to the right people so that the bug can be fixed.
04-04-12, 04:39 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
In my case, though, every time I got the error only one addon was mentioned in the crash log text: Learning Aid.
I'll try playing without LearningAid disabled this weekend and see if I get any crashes.

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
It appears to be caused by calling GetTrainerServiceCost on an index out of bounds. Simply typing /run GetTrainerServiceCost(1) while not talking to a trainer will immediately crash the client.
I'll see if anything in my AddOns folder is calling that function on PLAYER_LOGOUT. Thanks for the tip.
04-04-12, 10:46 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I'll try playing without LearningAid disabled this weekend and see if I get any crashes.
Updating Learning Aid to the latest alpha (r12) seemed to cure that error for me. You can get it on the Project Site on CurseForge. If it turns out that it was indeed causing your crashes.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » WoW crashing on log out/exit