04-01-09, 12:50 AM   #1
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

How do I use this addon?

I know I have to have a layout along with the core addon, but what do I do after that? I must be an idiot because I can't seem to bring up any menu of any kind with slash commands like /ouf and it's not in Blizzard's addon manager.
04-01-09, 01:20 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thats how oUF works. Most of the layouts have no configuration. They are pre-designed templates.
If you want to do your own configurations for unit frames i suggest Stuf or pitbull. oUF does a fantastic job bit requires editing Lua files. If that doesnt phase you id save dive right in and give it a go.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-01-09, 02:06 AM   #3
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

As MidgetMage stated most oUF layouts (and oUF itself) do not have /commands. All configuration and tweaking is done via lua.

That said, there are now two layouts that have in-game configs:I would suspect others will be coming with in-game config menus as authors take advantage of the various pre-built config libs such as Portfolio, Ace3 (AceConfig), and others. oUF itself will not come with a in-game config menu as it's the framework on which layouts are built, in-game menus will be supplied with the layouts.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-01-09 at 02:08 AM.
04-01-09, 10:42 AM   #4
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Is the layout supposed to automatically replace the default Bliz UF then? Because, it's not. :l
04-01-09, 10:44 AM   #5
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
What layout doesn't replace what frame?
Do you get any errors? Do you have showing of Lua errors enabled in the interface options
Which version of oUF are you trying?

Give us something to work on, and don't just say "it" doesn't work .
04-01-09, 11:07 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

To expand on what Haste said.

First of all download and install BugSack. BugSack and !Buggrabber need to be installed into their own folders in your AddOns folder.

Then log into WoW. Did you get a bug message (you will see a red sack icon in your MiniMap/FuBar/LDB Display and hear a "Fatality" sound bite)?

If you do, then click the red sack icon. The BugSack window will pop up. Copy the contents of that windows (Ctrl A to select all, Ctrl C to copy). Then paste the contents into a reply to this thread. This much more helpful than simply saying "Its broke".

Posting what layout you are trying to use in addition to the version of oUF (plus any oUF plug-ins) will also help.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-01-09 at 11:10 AM.
04-01-09, 02:43 PM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ah, well I didn't mean to just say "it's not working". I wasn't sure if there was something I was supposed to do in order to make the unit frames pop up or anything like that. The unitframes remained the default Blizzard ones and I didn't know if I missed a step installing them.

I'll download those addons and see if I get any errors.

I was trying to use Lily. No plugins. I heard somewhere that there is an ag_unitframes-style layout for oUF. Is this true?
04-02-09, 05:39 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
Ah, well I didn't mean to just say "it's not working". I wasn't sure if there was something I was supposed to do in order to make the unit frames pop up or anything like that. The unitframes remained the default Blizzard ones and I didn't know if I missed a step installing them.

I'll download those addons and see if I get any errors.

I was trying to use Lily. No plugins. I heard somewhere that there is an ag_unitframes-style layout for oUF. Is this true?
Yah, I think its oUF_Ammo however it has not been updated in a while so it may not work with new versions of oUF

Question on your layout: Did you try to intall the layout in the oUF folder or directly into the AddOns folder (like a standard AddOn)? If you did the latter then we have a bug issue as that method is how you install oUF layouts. If you tried the former, you need move the layout to the root AddOns folder so it is installed like an AddOn.

Interface\AddOns\oUF
Interface\AddOns\oUF_Lily
04-02-09, 09:59 AM   #9
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Strange, it's working now. It must have been a conflicting addon, because I always extract all my addons to the Addons folder unless the author says to do different. I installed BugSack anyway, for future reference.

Is there a way to move oUF frames, or are they stuck where they are? I like my unit frames to be in the top left corner like the default Blizzard ones.
I don't know lua so editing any files is out of the question..
04-02-09, 10:51 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Strange, it's working now. It must have been a conflicting addon, because I always extract all my addons to the Addons folder unless the author says to do different. I installed BugSack anyway, for future reference.

Is there a way to move oUF frames, or are they stuck where they are? I like my unit frames to be in the top left corner like the default Blizzard ones.
I don't know lua so editing any files is out of the question..
Currently the only way to move most oUF layouts is by lua editing. However this not difficult. First of all, get a good text editor. Notepad is OK, however there are much better text editors such as Notepad++.

OK, now that you have selected your text editor, open up the oUF_Lily folder. Locate lily.lua. You can right click on then select "Open with..." or double click and then in the following menus, select your text editor to open the file with. Alternately, open your text editor first, then use its Open command.

Your copy of lily.lua is now open in your text editor. Scroll to the bottom of the file. You will see the following:
Code:
local focus = oUF:Spawn"focus"
focus:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, -500)
local pet = oUF:Spawn'pet'
pet:SetPoint('CENTER', 0, -450)
local player = oUF:Spawn"player"
player:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, -400)
local target = oUF:Spawn"target"
target:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, -351)
local tot = oUF:Spawn"targettarget"
tot:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, -300)
local party = oUF:Spawn("header", "oUF_Party")
party:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 30, -30)
party:SetManyAttributes("showParty", true, "yOffset", -25)
party:Show()
Don't panic now as this is where you move the Frames to where you want them too. The important bits for you are contained in the (). These bits tell WoW where on screen to place the frames. Lets break them down using the "target" frame as our example:
  • "CENTER" tells WoW what part of your screen to anchor the frames. In this case the frame is being anchored from the center of your screen.
  • 0, -351 is the X,Y coordinates from the anchor point. In this case 0 means the frame is centered horizontally on screen and the -351 means the frame is located -351 px down from the center of your sceen.

OK Now set "player" and "target" to ("CENTER", 0, 0). Save the file and Alt-tab back to WoW.

Now use /console reloadui (or if you have an Ace3/Rock based mod installed, /rl. Some other mods will add the /rl command). Your UI will reload. Now your Player and Target frames will be in the center of your screen, one layered on top of the other. Select yourself or a "victim" (other player/NPC/mob) to confirm placement of the target frame. Alt-tab back to your text editor.

Now set "player" and "target" to ("TOPLEFT", 0, 0). Save the file. Alt-tab back to WoW.

Reload your UI as before. Now both your Player and Target frame will be in the upper left corner of your screen. Parts of them may be off screen. Alt-tab back to your Text editor

Now this where you place the frames to where you want them. Experiment with X, Y, coordinates. Note that if you are in a Party, your Party frames will likely be covered by your Player/Target frames until you move the Party frames. Your Pet, Target of Target and Focus frames will also have to be moved separately (but using the same method). Many other oUF layouts will anchor the pet frame to the player frame (so moving the player frame moves the pet frame) and the target of target frame to the target frame.

Things to note with lua editing:
  • Save your file. WoW will not see your changes until the changes are written to disc.
  • Reload your UI. You will not see any changes until you either log in or reload the UI. That is because WoW will only read the lua files at log in or upon reloading your UI.
  • If you totally mess up, just nuke the layout folder (not oUF itself) and drop a fresh copy in its place.

Last edited by Zyonin : 04-03-09 at 02:46 AM. Reason: post clean up/fixed some typos
04-02-09, 03:12 PM   #11
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Oh, nice. That's not difficult at all. Thank you, once again.

I'm guessing oUF uses a lot less resources than ag_UF or Xperl, right? I'd hope so, since my computer is pretty old.
04-03-09, 02:42 AM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Oh, nice. That's not difficult at all. Thank you, once again.

I'm guessing oUF uses a lot less resources than ag_UF or Xperl, right? I'd hope so, since my computer is pretty old.
Overall resources, yes oUF seems to use less both CPU and memory. Then again since oUF (and most of its layouts) does not do anything fancy nor have any kind of in-game menu, then there is less code to sling around.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » How do I use this addon?