01-27-10, 01:50 PM   #21
euphraties
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
see the problem that i have with carbonite is that you either use all its features or none of em and ill be honest at 80 i can live without the vast majority of the program so its easier to deal with a couple smaller addons than 1 huge one that uses features that are not needed and quite frankly i will have to turn off any time i go to do end game content just cause they get in the way. however please dont get me wrong i do love carbonite on lower toons i just dont think it is worth much at 80

01-27-10, 02:23 PM   #22
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I'm with Petrah on all three counts.

"All or none" is a serious overbid. There are a couple of features (punks list, warehouse) that I use rarely, if at all. That doesn't induce me to toss the rest of the addon. And even at 80, the quest watcher and "crazy arrow" are useful.

It is true that Carbonite has a larger memory footprint than say Gatherer. But does it have a larger footprint than Gatherer + whatever map mod you like + QuestGuru (or whatever) + whatever other "small footprint" addon you stuck in because you quit using Carbonite? And even if it does, I agree, as I said, with Petrah — CPU usage is of way more concern that RAM usage.

01-27-10, 02:46 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by euphraties View Post
see the problem that i have with carbonite is that you either use all its features or none of em and ill be honest at 80 i can live without the vast majority of the program so its easier to deal with a couple smaller addons than 1 huge one that uses features that are not needed and quite frankly i will have to turn off any time i go to do end game content just cause they get in the way. however please dont get me wrong i do love carbonite on lower toons i just dont think it is worth much at 80

That's one long sentence.

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
I'm with Petrah on all three counts.

"All or none" is a serious overbid. There are a couple of features (punks list, warehouse) that I use rarely, if at all. That doesn't induce me to toss the rest of the addon. And even at 80, the quest watcher and "crazy arrow" are useful.

It is true that Carbonite has a larger memory footprint than say Gatherer. But does it have a larger footprint than Gatherer + whatever map mod you like + QuestGuru (or whatever) + whatever other "small footprint" addon you stuck in because you quit using Carbonite? And even if it does, I agree, as I said, with Petrah — CPU usage is of way more concern that RAM usage.
Couldn't of said it better.

01-27-10, 05:52 PM   #24
marioinfinity
A Black Drake

Carbonite is a great addon. Especially since going into Wrath a lot of the old addons for bc for mapping, questing, gathering didnt update ever, lost devs, or just arnt as good as you remember them.

I donated back then to get the full version, and it still took me a month of harassing to figure out how to disable features I didnt like (chat channels being overrided seriously ticked me off lol) and the reason I stopped using it is because it was a bit overwhelming. I would say the biggest reason why people stop using carbonite for favor of using 2 to 3 other addons in its place is because its not modular. If they took their list of features and made all them modular to where you could totally turn them off; I think it would make people not slice other addons together in its place.

That's honestly the only thing I can see why people would stop using it. It's a great addon.

Not as good as NUI.. but.. still good. (yes I did just totally kiss ass their lol)

01-27-10, 09:43 PM   #25
chopt8
A Cyclonian
My issue with carb is that the nodes track through mountains! Routes allows you to say "no I can't walk through mountains" in the few days that I've spent playing with routes

01-28-10, 03:38 AM   #26
marioinfinity
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by chopt8 View Post
My issue with carb is that the nodes track through mountains! Routes allows you to say "no I can't walk through mountains" in the few days that I've spent playing with routes
Every type of tracking tracks through mountains. Even blizzards; If you fly over a cave and it has a node your minimap will show it... so.. yea.. it sounds like Routes is ignoring nodes inside those caves, and to tell you the truth; caves are great, i've gone through caves in storm peaks and left with stacks of titanium and saronite cuz no one farms them because they ignore those.. just a thought

01-28-10, 06:48 AM   #27
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by marioinfinity View Post
Every type of tracking tracks through mountains. Even blizzards; If you fly over a
There is the key difference that I believe chopt8 was meaning. What happens when you are farming Barrens and cannot "fly over" (for now) mountains etc. Not all things are gathered in Outlands/Northrend

But as always, to each their own

01-28-10, 09:04 AM   #28
chopt8
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
There is the key difference that I believe chopt8 was meaning. What happens when you are farming Barrens and cannot "fly over" (for now) mountains etc. Not all things are gathered in Outlands/Northrend

But as always, to each their own
Close, I meant it as, most routing addons may see a node on the other side of a small mountain. Then have you run back to a node 40 yards from the one you started at. It would be more efficient to gather the two that are 40 yards apart the move on to the one on the other side of a hill. Routes, so far in experimenting, is that only one you can block out certain areas. Furthermore you can make your own custom route, tedious, but possible.

Now back to carb, or what I believe I read somewhere on this forum; posted by Scott, that 6.0 will bring enemy detection. If so, Scott, will it be a combat log monitor, or like carb which detects enemy faction near by standing around?for clarification I have hovered a few hundred yards from honor hold and whenever a ally, mounted or not, runs near I get alerted. They are just near me, not attacking anything so I couldn't, and most enemy detection addons can't alert me because there's no chatter in the combat log.

01-28-10, 09:50 AM   #29
Chmee
A Molten Giant
No addon can tell when there's a mountain in your way. As I remember it, Gatherer gets around this by letting you setting "blocking zones" through which Gatherer won't make a route. This will result in a completely different path than Carbonite's, which gets around the same problem by letting you hit a key to delete the next node in the list if it's not accessible. I'm not gonna argue about which is "better" (whatever that means) but Carb's method is certainly easier to implement and less cpu intensive.

01-28-10, 01:56 PM   #30
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Hello, I'm Schizophrena and I'm a mass addon user.

So with that being said, I can't play without Carbonite, it replaces lots of addons for me that I would be running anyways and does so in a much more compact way. Now there are a few things I don't really use, but I can "suffer" having that ability available if I needed it and just not use it.

There are a couple of small things I would like to see on Carbonite, such as the ability to see raid lockouts like on Altaholic. Honestly though, I'm not going to get that one big addon for that one feature that Carbonite doesn't actually have (or that I'm aware of) but I'm pretty sure it carries all the other features that I found it had and was useful.

That being said, I also paid for Carbonite, and have been a loyal paying supporter for well over a year. Prior to using the paid version, I was using the free version for near a year. I don't donate to many addons because they are either not well supported or just temporary addons/uses. So, as a shameless plug, I've only donated to two addons, Carbonite - and an addon I found about 3-4 months ago, nUI - which also replaced quite a few addons in a total smaller compact way.

I would hate to lose either addon and I always look forward to more updates from both of them!

Now, for those purist... yes, you may not want Carbonite - it may not work best for you because it has a lot of useful features and can take up some memory, but it usually matches my recount size and/or GearScore mods - which only track one specific thing. I don't know how it would affect the resource handling if they modulated the add on - which may be a reason they don't.

01-28-10, 04:24 PM   #31
SkunkWerks
A Fallenroot Satyr

I don't need "routes". I have a long-term memory.

Coming from someone who has ADD and a lot of scatterbrained tendencies, this says something. Then again farming nodes- by it's very nature is a repetitive action, it tends to be a memory aid.

And as someone who already runs a lot of other addons, memory footprint is a big deal. Why would I want a glutton when there's other addons out there that do the same things with less memory involved?

01-28-10, 06:13 PM   #32
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I can see this thread starting to degenerate into a debate, so before things get hot, I just want to stop in and ask everyone to keep it high brow and non-personal. If it gets out of hand I will quickly lock it.

k?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-28-10, 10:45 PM   #33
chopt8
A Cyclonian
well hopefully no one says anything to get this locked, as I my intention was. Does anyone out there who used to use Carbonite, now find themselves not twitching and having withdrawls, and if so; which/what addons have now replaces Carbonite? my biggest issue with Carbonite is when switching infopanels carbonite minimap wants to layover all the other infopanels. which i need to resolve by going to the carbonite infopanel and pressing 'M' twice to make it small.

either way, this was never meant as a bashing of carbonite, just trying to reduce reuse n something else.

01-28-10, 11:11 PM   #34
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I used to use Carbonite Quests. I tried Carbonite Full after my fiance swore by it and found that I ended up turning everything off except carbonite quests. So I just removed carbonite in total and found QuestGuru which did more than what Carbonite Quests did anyway and that was to keep a record of what quests you had done. It was perfect for me with all the questing I did on various alts. Now I don't even use that .. why ? Well, because I don't really play any more rofl. But if I did you can bet your barnacles I would be working on an addon to keep a current and historic list of quests completed ( as apparently they don't hold every passed quest you have done, or so my brother told me ).

I am not saying Carbonite is bad or good. Just that it wasn't for me. Just like the normal WoW interface isn't for me. Believe me I tried for a day to play without addons. It was the worst day of my wow life rofl. nUI went back on straight away.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

01-29-10, 08:10 AM   #35
chopt8
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
... But if I did you can bet your barnacles I would be working on an addon to keep a current and historic list of quests completed ( as apparently they don't hold every passed quest you have done, or so my brother told me ).

I am not saying Carbonite is bad or good. Just that it wasn't for me. Just like the normal WoW interface isn't for me. Believe me I tried for a day to play without addons. It was the worst day of my wow life rofl. nUI went back on straight away.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think now QH and Guru can now "talk/ask" the server what quests you've done and not just keep track of quests since you've turned on the addon. So it would know All the quests you've done whether you install at 1 or 80.

Now back to Scott.

01-29-10, 08:49 AM   #36
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think now QH and Guru can now "talk/ask" the server what quests you've done and not just keep track of quests since you've turned on the addon. So it would know All the quests you've done whether you install at 1 or 80.

Now back to Scott.
Yep quite possibly. But not needed to check them specifically I only log in to work on addons now

Characters:

01-29-10, 09:05 AM   #37
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Now back to Scott.
Previously, *no* add on could tell what quests you completed when that addon wasn't loaded. Carbonite kept track, per character, of what quests you had completed while Carbonite was loaded - if you crashed while playing, that information was lost.

Now, Blizzard has released a query status for addons to actually see what quests you have completed. Most Quest addons now have this feature, you just have to say or get the command to tell it to query the server (which Carbonite has).

01-29-10, 03:05 PM   #38
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
But if I did you can bet your barnacles I would be working on an addon to keep a current and historic list of quests completed ( as apparently they don't hold every passed quest you have done, or so my brother told me ).
The full version of Carbonite has always done this (pre 3.3)... at least the one I use always has. As long as I don't delete the lua files in the saved variables folder, I can check the History tab and see what quests my character has already completed. Of course, the addon cannot tell me the quests I've completed from before I installed the addon, or when I've completed quests when the addon was disabled.

Last edited by Petrah : 01-29-10 at 03:09 PM.

01-29-10, 03:15 PM   #39
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, it never had that when I looked at it Petrah. Or if they did it was never documented or easily seen, but I could be wrong. This was like years ago rofl Good to know for those that would want that as well.

Characters:

01-29-10, 03:42 PM   #40
chopt8
A Cyclonian
Ok I give up! I quit! I surrender! I'm going back to carbonite, til we see what goodies 6.0 has to offer, that no cookie offer can get Scott to divulge what's in store in 6.0.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Carbonite replacement suggestions