12-08-14, 08:47 PM   #1
rms
A Defias Bandit
Position

Hello. I downloaded the ouf_diablo addon and when I move the art, units, bars etc, if for some reason I disable the addon or something weird happens (random dc, game crashes, etc), the position resets to default. What can I do to solve this? it's been 4 times I have to move everything again.
12-08-14, 10:10 PM   #2
MoonWitch
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If the game crashes; your saved variables (where the positions are saved) don't get saved.

Position everything; and then log out at once. You should be good from there.
12-08-14, 10:58 PM   #3
rms
A Defias Bandit
Yeah I do that, but it doesn't always work. The other day I switched to an alt, and for some reason the addon was unckecked in the addon list in the character selection screen, when I realized in game I logged off and ckecked ouf_diablo again and when I got in the position of everything was reset. Same today, before logging off last night it was fine, but when I logged in it was reset. It's random and I don't know what could be causing it.
12-09-14, 05:38 PM   #4
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by rms View Post
Yeah I do that, but it doesn't always work. The other day I switched to an alt, and for some reason the addon was unckecked in the addon list in the character selection screen, when I realized in game I logged off and ckecked ouf_diablo again and when I got in the position of everything was reset. Same today, before logging off last night it was fine, but when I logged in it was reset. It's random and I don't know what could be causing it.
Then I'd say, make sure you have the latest version; disable ALL other addons and try. Perhaps even clear your saved variables manually first. (So that we're sure the file isn't corrupt)
12-09-14, 09:54 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by rms View Post
if for some reason I disable the addon ... the position resets to default.
I haven't looked at the addon's code, but based on this part of your description, I would guess that it's author is lazy and doesn't actually saved any positions themeslves in saved variables, but just tells WoW "these frames are movable" and lets the game keep track of their positions. This has several very annoying shortcomings, one of which is, as you discovered, that if you disable the addon, the game discards any saved position info for its frames.

If this is what's going on, there's nothing you as a user can do to "fix" this -- the system isn't broken, it just isn't a very good system.

However, you could install the third-party oUF Movable Frames plugin, which will save the frame positions in saved variables, and remember them even if you disable the addon.
12-10-14, 08:39 PM   #6
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I haven't looked at the addon's code, but based on this part of your description, I would guess that it's author is lazy and doesn't actually saved any positions themeslves in saved variables, but just tells WoW "these frames are movable" and lets the game keep track of their positions. This has several very annoying shortcomings, one of which is, as you discovered, that if you disable the addon, the game discards any saved position info for its frames.

If this is what's going on, there's nothing you as a user can do to "fix" this -- the system isn't broken, it just isn't a very good system.

However, you could install the third-party oUF Movable Frames plugin, which will save the frame positions in saved variables, and remember them even if you disable the addon.
I assumed he would have used Svars.... Shows me I should never discard that as option/cause.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Position