09-14-08, 06:51 PM   #1
Cindy1002
A Theradrim Guardian
metamap help

I've been using metamap for 2 years now and I discovered this afternoon after taking my mage herb/alch to wetlands (my first character to actually quest there) that metamap wasn't tracking the node points for plants, metal veins, treasure chests, and anything else that spawns a node that you collect from.

Hasn't seen an update in awhile, and even that was just to fix an error message that was being generated because Blizzard changed some object names.

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to change over to a different map mod.. and if i do.. what's a good world map mod?
09-14-08, 11:12 PM   #2
0Blackmage0
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To be honest, i stopped using Metamap a long LONG time ago, it wasnt updated enough and it is kind of bulky, I switched to Cartographer and i love it its got EVERYTHING that metamap has and so so much more. It's also got modules that you can add in to add the functionality of Gathering Prof tracking. But it will also come with a predetermined database.

09-15-08, 04:20 PM   #3
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I don't know much about MetaMap. I used it for about 2 or three days when I first started using addons about a year ago. I agree with 0BlackMage0 about Cartographer. It's got a plugin for just about everything that you can think of. The downside for me was that it actually had a few too many plugins and modules for my liking and I didn't use 3/4 of them. I've used Mapster, tried AlphaMap (which I'm not sure even works anymore or not), Carbonite (both paid and free versions), YAtlas, and just about every other map addon that's out there. You really have to ask what you want from your map and compare the ones available to see which one fits your needs.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that I like addons that do one thing and do it well. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of addons out there that have many functions and do a wonderful job at all of them, but my personal preference is to have a lot of addons that all do one or two things. So this is what I'm currently using for my map: Cartographer 3.0 (available at Curse), and Gatherer. They work well together. Cartographer 3.0 is basically just a resizable, zoomable map addon with just a couple features that I use often. Most notably the zoom feature that lets you zoom into a minimap style view of the world to find those hard to find paths and trails that you can't see on the world map. It also has a map notes feature that lets you right click anywhere on the map and add notes, and a waypoint HUD that can be turned off when not needed. It also provides instance maps with notes.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » metamap help