09-12-08, 07:10 AM   #1
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
I feel like such an idiot

I really am feeling like such an idiot, I downloaded the correct user interface, installed it into the correct directory, selected favorites and when I go into use it I can get absolutely nothing to install. I was a pc use and am not having much success about understand the mac file structure or lack thereoff. I also have absolutely no idea what a toc or a lua file is. Yes I may be getting old but why cant I use these supposedly simple things? And please I hope you are not as rude as the people at the mac support forum at the blizzard forum.
09-12-08, 08:44 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try this addon installer tool for the Mac and see if that will give you less headaches
09-12-08, 09:32 AM   #3
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Thank you.
09-12-08, 10:53 AM   #4
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
I have it in folder world of warcraft/interface/addons/wowuimgr.....

And It just plain isn't working. Every single add on I have ever tried has been easy to put into what is supposed to be the "correct" folder and none of them have ever worked. I am told when I start the game they come on but they don't. And I cannot understand why.
09-12-08, 11:23 AM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

When you get to the charcter select screen is there an addons button in the lower left corner? If not then the addons are not in the correct place.

Not knowing what the files are is ok. Just have to know where they go. If your not receiving the addons button at character select then the .toc isnt being found in the right place. Thats always a good first indicator. If you are getting the button then click it and look for the load out of date addons box and click it.

If the addon your installing is called wowuimgr then its in the right place in your example. If however its not (and since you mentioned its a full Ui im guessing not) then your folders are in the wrong place. It would be:

Code:
World of Warcraft\interface\addons
In the addons folder should be all the individual folders for the various parts of the UI. so lets say catrtographer is in there the path would be:

Code:
World of Warcraft\interface\addons\cartographer
Within the cartopgrapher folder would be the .toc and .lua files that make the mod itself. If your seeing this:

Code:
World of Warcraft\interface\addons\wowuimgr\cartographer
Then you have folder in folder syndrome. Also keep in in mind the files need to be extracted. so if they are files like cartographer.zip or .rar then the game cant read them.

It is normal to see several folders in the addons folder. Each one corresponds to individual mods that make up an entire ui compilation.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 09-12-08 at 11:38 AM.
09-12-08, 08:48 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post
I have it in folder world of warcraft/interface/addons/wowuimgr.....

And It just plain isn't working. Every single add on I have ever tried has been easy to put into what is supposed to be the "correct" folder and none of them have ever worked. I am told when I start the game they come on but they don't. And I cannot understand why.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the WoW UI Manager is an addon. I believe it is a stand-alone program.
09-13-08, 12:10 AM   #7
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Yup. Its stand alone.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-13-08, 02:13 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

But he has it in his addons folder, and since it is a stand-alone program then that would be why it will not show up in the addons list lol (you know this of course lol).

I don't know how to use that addon installer as I do not have a Mac. But, I was hoping that the installer would better suit him in helping getting his addons installed properly.
09-13-08, 07:38 AM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Couldnt tell you why it wont install his addons as i do all my manually. Im weird like that. But if hes using an installer and still has none showing then he needs to check the file paths. If the manager is ALL hes installing well. that speaks for itself. Now to wait for OldHarry to reply. =)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » I feel like such an idiot