01-12-15, 02:08 PM   #1
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Development Proposal

First of all, thank you Rythal, for allowing us other developers to be a part of this. I really appreciate your effords. Usually, one expects such an favourable introduction to be an excuse for what is next, but please keep in mind that this is only a suggestion, not a demand.

Many of us other developers would really like to do even more than having a look at bugs or do tiny parts of the required updates. So what I want to ask you is
  1. let us coordinate our effords. We have a rather coarse Todo List thanks to samyonair. You can tell us which parts you are currently working at and which parts you'd rather we do - the other developers will probably gladly pick tasks from that list and we will avoid doing work twice.
  2. please push your work in progress more often to github, using an "unfinished" branch/tag. This way, we can spot fixes out of your code and tell people if their problems are addressed in the soon future.
  3. a more transparent release process would probably help, too. Github has milestones for that (a milestone usually consists of features and fixes).

That's all. I hope you find my suggestions at least partially acceptable. Thank you for your consideration.

By the way, I'm working on a new homepage for carbonite. I haven't made the screenshots yet, but you can see how it'll look like here: http://atk.github.io/Carbonite/

Constructive criticism and other feedback is welcome.
01-12-15, 02:22 PM   #2
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This are very good ideas atl77. This would take developing Carbonite to next level. Ill keep my fingers crossed for this...

ps. atl77 nice kittens

Last edited by ircdirk : 01-12-15 at 02:26 PM.
01-14-15, 02:32 AM   #3
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I replaced the kittens with screenshots... only a few minutes before I realized that I should have switched my locale to EN before making them.
01-14-15, 02:37 AM   #4
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

Oh nooooo... they ware so sweet!!

Returnig to thread... will have to wait till Rythal is back from Europe.

Last edited by ircdirk : 01-14-15 at 02:58 AM.
01-14-15, 02:44 AM   #5
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

First of all, sorry that I'm a bit rare for the moment but have to do some stuff for work,

I find the Idea great, at the moment I close pull requests for translation parts only, because all other I don't know if they are Ok I think atl has same problems to make decissions, If we had a roadline like milestones we would better know what is ok and what not.

If Rythal could share is work on a branch we could see what is on the road and double work like e.g. weekly would be some how prevented.

And for Answer Questions it would be easier to know what is on road and what should be looked at by someone else.

To the Idea with the Homepage, the Design is nice and it would be easier to share Information to Users as well as a part for further things like Questinformation sharing.

I Know Rythal has many things to do, I see it on my open Pull request and I'm a bit upset to nothing heard about it, not a descisson but a feedback would be great.

Greetings Samyonair
01-14-15, 03:03 AM   #6
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
@ircdirk, the kittens are still there at http://placekitten.com/ - for all your sweet kitten placeholder needs in every web design.
01-16-15, 03:54 PM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I won't ever commit to a timeline, or milestones... I do get scatter brained and often work on multiple things at once, or i'll start tackling one thing and be unable to figure it out so I'll move to something else to give the brain a rest and jump back to the first issue.

I also do get often behind in checking on things, I know i have over 300 unread notices on github which is why your pull never got reviewed until someone poked me on it here, (I won't say who in case they'd prefer to remain anonymous). Trying to keep up with github, here, curse, curseforge, and direct emails gets a little taxing.

What I would like to do, and it could fit with the milestones is to get a jira or redmine going, a central location that bugs, feature requests, and wanted changes can be reported and is for everything. Something I or other's can look at and see what needs to be done, and can also mark as things are completed and allow better communication. Something that is strictly for bugs, and nothing else.

When something gets reported here, and then I see the same report on github, I ignore it, which ends up at least for me causing issue's since when I'm trying to fix bugs, I look through the forums here for bug reports, and then over to github, and things get easily missed, or i'll think something was fixed in my head and it turns out it wasn't.

I don't know if i'll have time before I leave on sunday, but I am hoping to do one more push for Carbonite Maps which fixes the NPCScan overlay issue, we have been blaming them and saying they need to fix it, when really it really is a problem with Carbonite when I looked into it.

As for pushing what i'm working on, well that's another reason i'd prefer a jira. I don't like pushing unfinished work. Usually my builds are filled with error logging, notices, and actually very unstable (I don't think i've seen trade chat in months from the amount of text printing that happens). Once I have all the bugs worked out that are on my notepad to look into, I find and remove all the debugging and push it to github.

Last edited by Rythal : 01-16-15 at 04:07 PM.
01-17-15, 01:04 AM   #8
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Pushing unfinished work is what branches are for in git. That way, multiple people can work on the same feature. As for debug removal, we can probably use an automated build process to do that.

Last edited by atl77 : 01-17-15 at 01:43 AM.
01-17-15, 03:34 AM   #9
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
That's all. I hope you find my suggestions at least partially acceptable. Thank you for your consideration.
By the way, I'm working on a new homepage for carbonite. I haven't made the screenshots yet, but you can see how it'll look like here: http://atk.github.io/Carbonite/
As i see, you Use "Carbonite" as Logo. In the Addon the Logo "Carbonite2" is shown

If needed i can Sponsor/host the Domains:

carboniteaddon.info
carbonite2.com./net/.de

For a Webpage. So it's indepentend from Github

btw: I Think a JIRA is tooooo Powerfull ^^ for such a little Project ;D

Last edited by gOOvER : 01-17-15 at 03:46 AM.
01-17-15, 06:30 AM   #10
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
@Goover: I think the current logo in the addon is a bit too old-school... but I'm more a developer and less designer, so I'd really value other's opinions. I can easily prepare a new one (saving .tga is no problem). The page is just a rough design, to play with a few CSS3 features and to have a base for manual data upload to ircdirk's db (but more about that later).

@Rythal, you don't need to commit to a timeline, because milestones are not about a release date, but about the release features - and nothing about such a milestone is written in stone, regardless of the name.

It's just that within a team - and I hope for all of us that we can work as a team, because this is so much easier for everyone, things run more smooth if people know what they and the others do. Sure, we can set up Jira or even a Kanban board, but this is more a distraction from the actual coding - and I take you more for a coder than a developer, more a tinkerer than a planner. Don't think for a moment that would be an excuse for not being a team player. All you need to do is communicate a bit more (i.e. push your stuff more frequently), tell us what needs to be done in your absence and so on. I know, this sounds boring - it partially is boring - but we all want the same thing: to improve this addon.

I am a developer for over a decade, so I know that with such a project, the usual reflex is to want to do everything yourself to have it done right, but with my experience, I also know that this reflex is wrong. We can do a lot more if we work together.

If you really think a centralized bug tracker will help, I can probably set up an issue system inside the homepage once it is finished. The manual upload is a bit further up my agenda right now.

Also, I'm not really satisfied with the guide and nodes to help ease the normal game; I find myself too often switching to a browser to look up stuff. I currently toy with the idea of a Carbonite.Guide module that works like something between a webpage and a helptext viewer, with links to other pages or linked waypoints to the parts in the guide.

Last edited by atl77 : 01-17-15 at 06:36 AM.
01-17-15, 06:44 AM   #11
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

If Rythal decides do go to central bugtracker, we can do it, but then NO bug/issues reporting here on forums. Only help with Carbonite. Then all those sub-forums would not be needed.

The are many bugtracking systems also light since we do not need such big system as Jira/Redmine.
01-17-15, 08:04 AM   #12
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by ircdirk View Post
If Rythal decides do go to central bugtracker, we can do it, but then NO bug/issues reporting here on forums. Only help with Carbonite. Then all those sub-forums would not be needed.

The are many bugtracking systems also light since we do not need such big system as Jira/Redmine.
The you can open an own Forum

@atl77... That's only what i see. And you said: Critsm is wellcome

Carbonite, i think, needs a new Name, because Carbonite was paid. Now at GNU Time, better to have a new Name like Carbonite2, to seperate and make a cut to old Versions

Like in other Forked Projects. ^^

That's just my thoughts and 2 Cents It's not a "MUST BE"

Last edited by gOOvER : 01-17-15 at 10:16 AM.
01-17-15, 10:38 AM   #13
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
@gOOvER: On the contrary, since the former Carbonite has long been disbanded (and thus the Registered Trademark has probably expired), we can take over the name. But ultimately, I think, this is Rythal's choice. Btw. I'm currently working together with ircdirk on the manual file upload for the Quest DB and apart from the occassional problem, it'll probably be working tomorrow.

Last edited by atl77 : 01-17-15 at 10:42 AM.
01-17-15, 10:44 AM   #14
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Thumbs up

@gOOvER: On the contrary, since the former Carbonite has long been disbanded (and thus the Registered Trademark has probably expired), we can take over the name. But ultimately, I think, this is Rythal's choice. Btw. I'm currently working together with ircdirk on the manual file upload for the Quest DB and apart from the occassional problem, it'll probably be working tomorrow.
I everytime miss a like Button
01-17-15, 01:31 PM   #15
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Update: quest db upload works now: http://atk.github.io/Carbonite/#upload - you can help by using it.
01-17-15, 01:49 PM   #16
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
What needs to be done right now that I can think of (and another reason I'd prefer a tracking system, I have bad memory :P)

Profiles:
- Profiles, they work but they were attempting to do too much. The base profile system in nxoptions needs to be reduced to only affect the base carbonite and not try to cause profile switches in the modules
- Each module needs a profile settings, somewhere in options.
- I had wanted an all in one profile system so there was only one place you needed to do profile copys, delete's or changes but I could never get it to work... it's still the preferable way to do it I think if someone else wants to try and tackle it with fresh eyes.
- Every module still stores information in the main profile. Warehouse data, quest data, pals data etc etc they need to be moved and stored into the correct module profiles, and the main Char. table adjusted as they load.

Quests:
- I saw the report that all quests are drawing !'s on the map, needs looked into if it's not removing already done quests.

Warehouse:
- tracked Currencies is out of date
- regent bank doesn't update
- I want to look into guild bank recording, and possibly sharing using libguildbank

NPC_Overlay:
- the issue is it's trying to attach to the map before the map is even known, a side effect of carbonite forcing itself to be the last addon that loads. A check in the function to just exit if the map is 0 should fix the problem.

Weekly:
- Raid tracking needs looking into since the way I thought should work doesn't.

Maps:
- A one time notice with check box to say don't show me this again to explain the break up of the addon. Looking at download stats only 1 in about 10 people are actually downloading anything other then maps, so either maps really was the only thing people wanted, or they are not reading the download pages to see there's more addons now.
- Dungeon levels support needs to be added.
- Experimenting with Compatability mode, along with the various UI replacements to see if it's even still needed or just a setting that causes more problems then it fixes.

Last edited by Rythal : 01-17-15 at 02:08 PM.
01-17-15, 02:37 PM   #17
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Hi all,

first of all a bit busy at the moment, thats why a message comes a bit late^^,

I think a tracking system would be great.
just because overview, a central place to focus on development, and not just 2 hours of checking all places, for supporting, messages and pull requests, checking of Known Issues and Issues doubles as well as fixed Issues in development version.

What from translation part seems to be done:
1. I will write a summary of all language files, to get a overview, whats missing some languages seems to be missing translators, a open call I will right to forums after I have a overview

German (I will do this, hopefully done end of month)
1. Overview of Status
2. Missing Terms bring to discussion and translated
2. check german language files along blizz language files to better fit

Greetings Samyonair
01-17-15, 02:45 PM   #18
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Update: quest db upload works now: http://atk.github.io/Carbonite/#upload - you can help by using it.
You'll find the Carbonite.Quests.lua inside your [WoW]\WTF\Account\[Account]\SavedVariables directory. [WoW] is your World of Warcraft installation folder and [Account] is your internal account number, something like "52982412#1". Thank you for your help!
Should be informed for old Installations it is no number but old style account name^^

greetings Samyonair
01-19-15, 04:13 AM   #19
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Just for Development I have created Branch DEV, for all Ideas as long as Rythal decide to put them in.

So we have a stable github branch -- Master
and a dev branch --DEV

hope this is in all Persons sense involved in dev.

Greetings Samyonair

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Dev Talk » Development Proposal