11-28-13, 12:34 PM   #1
Theramor
A Murloc Raider
New Skill Popup Addon

I remember an addon that whenever I gained a level, a window would pop up and stay on the screen that had a link to my new skills that I could drag to my hot bar.

I can't remember the name of the addon, but is there an addon that behaves like that? Getting the messages we get is good, but I like having the ability to drag the new skill icon to the hot bar.

Thanks in advance....

T
11-28-13, 01:13 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That was Learning Aid, unfortunately it hasn't been maintained in a while and it had some issues already before Jamash went on a break(?).
11-29-13, 10:33 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

The only real issues I've had with LearningAid are that (a) it doesn't block the learn/unlearn messages for passive abilities when you change specs, though this is easily fixed by adding the appropriate global string to the filter list in the code; and (b) it pops up the list of spells you "learned" when you change specs, and there's no option to turn this off.

I've been meaning to write my own simplified "pop up list of new spells learned" addon for several years, since I like the concept of LearningAid but it's pretty bloated for what I need, but I haven't gotten around to it, and can't promise I ever will.

TLDR: LearningAid is what you are thinking of, and it works fine.
11-30-13, 02:56 AM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No unfortunately it doesn't 'work fine'.
It has issues with switching specs, with guild perks and with battle pets off the top of my head.
If you are unguilded, don't mind spam when switching specs (which the addon used to filter successfully) and never learn new pets it might appear to function fine.

It is not totally broken or unsalvageable but that's a different thing.
11-30-13, 12:02 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

I already mentioned both of the spec switching issues, and I've never noticed any issue when learning battle pets.

I did forget about the guild perk issue, though, as I haven't bothered subjecting myself to being in a guild since I quit raiding around the launch of Cataclysm.

Also, since there's no real reason to keep LearningAid enabled once you hit max level, these are all very minor issues, especially considering how little time it takes to get to max level these days.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » New Skill Popup Addon