02-10-11, 04:45 AM   #1
imperialskull
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Animated frames and the horrors of new encoding.

As some of you may already know I have embarked on an epic quest to create an animated frame. Thanks to the help of the community I now have the power ( but not neccessarily the ability) to encode the frames using the AnimateTexCoords () function. I will be the first to admit that my grasp of lua is tenous to say the least. Not wanting to cause myself hours of irritating attempts to plug in values and hope for the best I come to you noble encoders.
I'll start with something simple the basis of the function.

function AnimateTexCoords(texture, textureWidth, textureHeight, frameWidth, frameHeight, numFrames, elapsed, throttle)

this is the part that you expose my lack of skills...

texture is texture name, texture width and height are just that in pixels, the same going for frame, numframes is the number of frames, and elapsed is the time that it takes to run the animation, but what is throttle? that is the question that utterly vexes me.
hopefully I at least got the first part right if not feel free to correct me
thanks again community and I will be sure to credit everyone who helps with code in the final release.

Last edited by imperialskull : 02-10-11 at 04:47 AM. Reason: poor grammar
02-10-11, 05:50 AM   #2
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Throttle usually means to limit the number of updates per second. In an OnUpdate-script, that runs on each redraw of the screen (your fps), you usually throttle it to update less by using a condition such as a specific interval for example. Throttle in this case is probably the same, if you pass 0.1 to it will only update every 0.1s.
02-10-11, 06:18 AM   #3
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No offense, but if I were you, and still very new to Lua,
I would first try to tackle something more simple than frame/texture animations .. ><

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Animated frames and the horrors of new encoding.