08-10-13, 04:42 AM   #1
suicidalkatt
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
New Addon - SyLevel! Item levels on your slots!

Just released !SyLevels after a few weeks of rewriting a lot of the framework of oGlow ( with permission ).

Check it out!

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...o.php?id=22452

!SyLevel
Is a lightweight addon which displays item level text on your item slots. It offers support for addon authors wanting to include functionality in their addons.
Features:
  • Customizable display locations (listed below)
  • Customizable filter to limit display on item levels below a level you set.
  • Chose from one of four possible coloring options.
  • Embedded LibItemUpgradeInfo-1.0 to ensure accurate item levels are displayed.
  • Expandable to your addon (aimed at addon authors if you are one).

Display Locations:
  • Bags
  • Bank Window
  • Character
  • Character Equipment Flyout
  • Guild Bank Window
  • Inspect Window
  • Loot Window
  • Mail Window
  • Merchant Window
  • Profession Window
  • Trade Window
  • Void Storage Window

This is an initial version so please feel free to leave any feedback in the comments and I'll be sure to respond!

A special thanks to haste for allowing me to use the framework of his addon oGlow
08-10-13, 07:14 AM   #2
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Nicely done as you promised in the pm
I've changed the InventoryItemLevel page accordingly.

ToDo:
Custom point/anchors
Custom scaling/fontsize (maybe individually per location)
08-10-13, 07:29 AM   #3
suicidalkatt

Originally Posted by humfras View Post
Nicely done as you promised in the pm
I've changed the InventoryItemLevel page accordingly.

ToDo:
Custom point/anchors
Custom scaling/fontsize (maybe individually per location)
Yea I'll probably be doing that sooner or later.

You can always edit it personally in the 'displays/text.lua' file.

Some of the major changes I made to the framework was the pipe for Bags and the option ordering since it wasn't alphabetized (kinda bothered me with oGlow).

I think it's come out pretty sharp. I really need to update the coloring methods and some of the instrumentation.

Edit: lol... pipe for bags.. bag pipe.

Last edited by suicidalkatt : 08-10-13 at 07:35 AM.
08-10-13, 07:49 AM   #4
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by suicidalkatt View Post
Yea I'll probably be doing that sooner or later.

You can always edit it personally in the 'displays/text.lua' file.

Some of the major changes I made to the framework was the pipe for Bags and the option ordering since it wasn't alphabetized (kinda bothered me with oGlow).

I think it's come out pretty sharp. I really need to update the coloring methods and some of the instrumentation.
I was talking about enhancing the ingame options Editing the source files isn't a problem for me but it would be a great comfortable functionality for less advanced users. No need to rush!
Regarding coloring, I was testing an "if ilvl is equal or above this number, color with..." functionality on IIL, which I thought would be a good option for custom coloring.

Originally Posted by suicidalkatt View Post
[...]Edit: lol... pipe for bags.. bag pipe.
piob mhor
This made me listen to my 'Best of Scottish Pipes and Drums' CD again
08-10-13, 08:14 AM   #5
suicidalkatt

Originally Posted by humfras View Post
I was talking about enhancing the ingame options Editing the source files isn't a problem for me but it would be a great comfortable functionality for less advanced users. No need to rush!
Regarding coloring, I was testing an "if ilvl is equal or above this number, color with..." functionality on IIL, which I thought would be a good option for custom coloring.
I'll probably end up doing something to that end. I'll have dropdowns a set of editboxes / dropdowns with perhaps an amount of steps you'd like to define.
08-10-13, 09:02 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Code:
## Title: !Sy|cff5CB3FFLevel|r
Can you please not use random symbols and color codes in your TOC title? It's extremely annoying to have an addon list that looks like unicorn vomit and has half the addons in completely random order because symbols and color codes are ruining the alphabetical ordering.
08-11-13, 04:31 AM   #7
suicidalkatt

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Code:
## Title: !Sy|cff5CB3FFLevel|r
Can you please not use random symbols and color codes in your TOC title? It's extremely annoying to have an addon list that looks like unicorn vomit and has half the addons in completely random order because symbols and color codes are ruining the alphabetical ordering.
I prefer to have my own personal addons at the top of my list. No law against how AddOns are titled :U
08-11-13, 08:01 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

There's a reason lists are sorted alphabetically -- it's so people can quickly and easily find things in the list, without having to read every item individually. If I want to disable an addon called "SyLevel", I expect to find it near the end of the "S" section of the addon list -- not at the very top before the "A" section because you put a random symbol in front of its name, or at the very end after the "Z" section because you wrapped the whole name in a color code. Maybe you expect your "own personal addons" to be at the top of your list, but the people who download your addon and use it alongside addons written by dozens of other people who are just as (un)important as you expect it to be alphabetzied like all those other addons.

Plus, if every addon author decides they need to fluff their e-peen by prefixing their TOC titles with random symbols to force their addons to the top of the list, then there is no order at all -- nothing is at the top, and nobody wins. You're not more important than other addon authors, and you're not more important than your users. If you want your addons to be at the top of the list, give them names that start with the letter "A".
08-11-13, 08:27 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
#1. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...84&postcount=2

You don't have to use the addon. If you're offering constructive criticism, then follow the DBAD rule for life. Or the Golden Rule. Whichever makes you feel warm and fluffy inside.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-15-13, 07:23 PM   #10
suicidalkatt

Now available for Tukui and ElvUI:
08-16-13, 02:11 AM   #11
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm using the addon and I like it. One suggestion though since you are running a GUI already.

Can you bring the font values from "display/text.lua" to the GUI? I had to change font family and font size manually via lua editing.

@Seerah
Thanks.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
08-16-13, 03:53 AM   #12
suicidalkatt

Originally Posted by zork View Post
I'm using the addon and I like it. One suggestion though since you are running a GUI already.

Can you bring the font values from "display/text.lua" to the GUI? I had to change font family and font size manually via lua editing.

@Seerah
Thanks.
I already have some accommodations coming soon. I'm just looking for the proper way to make a nested drop down menu for large font lists from shared media. Don't want lists running off of the screen.

I've done a bit of optimizing as well.

Last edited by suicidalkatt : 08-16-13 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
08-18-13, 08:13 AM   #13
suicidalkatt

Now available for Bagnon users!

Additional thanks to ckaotik for his/her original code.
08-18-13, 05:45 PM   #14
pelf
Sentient Plasmoid

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Can you please not use random symbols and color codes in your TOC title?
I've always looked at this as a issue with the sorting rather than an issue with using colors in the names. I like the use of colors to emphasize portions of addon names. The markup should just be stripped for the sort.
08-19-13, 04:12 AM   #15
suicidalkatt

Originally Posted by pelf View Post
I've always looked at this as a issue with the sorting rather than an issue with using colors in the names. I like the use of colors to emphasize portions of addon names. The markup should just be stripped for the sort.
The fact that I incorporate the '!' is the only reason why my addon comes up at the top, coloring doesn't even come into play since I don't color the first characters.

The addon list is alphabetical yet still based on something similar to the ASCII ordering: http://www.asciitable.com/

Just so happens that "!" is the first 'alphabetically'.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » New Addon - SyLevel! Item levels on your slots!