11-25-13, 08:49 AM   #21
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
(1) I'm still laughing right now ) And I'm probably interested in your recipe collection too

(3) Neither am I. But I do trust that there is someone somewhere that reviews open-sourced code and is not bound by some freaky non-disclosure agreement. And then, I always have the possibility to do so if I want to. What is it worth: if you are my girlfriend and I give you my facebook login in order to create trust, you can be sure I will never cheat on you on facebook
11-25-13, 09:35 PM   #22
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
if you are my girlfriend and I give you my facebook login in order to create trust, you can be sure I will never cheat on you on facebook
Maybe not, but if you start saying "hey look here, I'm not cheating on you here!" then I'm going to start wondering why you're trying so hard to convince me of something I already assume is true. Also, those couples who give each other their login info for everything are creepy, and I'm not really sure this is a very good analogy for the point you were trying to make.
11-27-13, 07:22 PM   #23
MoonWitch
A Firelord
I find couples themselves creepy. But aside from that, with the sheer amount of passwords I have to remember - work (about 70 in total), home (even more, mine, moms and my sisters), there's no way I can cope without a password manager. I opted for Dashlane, because I am generally stuck with Windows, Mac and Android - seeing as I'd need said login info on all machines. My work passwords aren't in Dashlane though, those I keep in KeePass on a secure (lol) networkshare - they're "shared passwords". To our switches and the likes, so the entire SysAdmin team needs them.
11-29-13, 10:55 PM   #24
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
... with the sheer amount of passwords I have to remember - work (about 70 in total), home (even more, mine, moms and my sisters), there's no way I can cope without a password manager.
My previous system was to assign each site/service/device/whatever a level of importance. All things at the same level of importance used the same password. Only the most important things (eg. bank) got unique passwords. No dictionary words (at least not from any languages I speak or have any familiarity with) at any level.

Random site that required me to register to download something? Level 0, gets the 6-letter all-lowercase password. Website I actually use but that has no personal info or real importance? Level 1, same as level 0 but with some letters substituted with numbers, and a suffix to make it longer. Slightly more important website? Level 2, same as level 1, but with some capital letters and punctuation marks. Personal info? Level 3, longer password with uppercase and lowercase letters, and numbers. Financial info? Level 4, really long random password that I memorized a decade ago, with a minor variation for each use.

There were a few more variations (eg. WoW-related websites used a different base password, etc.) but basically it kept my total number of passwords to remember to a minimum, while maintaining a reasonable level of security. In the 15 or so years I used this system, I never had any account compromised.

Frankly the only reason I'm bothering with the added security of a password manager and long random passwords everywhere is that I only have to use the password manager the first time I log into something on each device. After that, the password is saved in my browser, and the length and complexity of the password is irrelevant to me.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Change your github password