03-10-13, 09:14 PM   #1
Squishery
A Murloc Raider
5.16a just not working

EDIT:
I could not edit the thread title/subj, but the version I speak of is 5.2.1 alpha 6.
I have also corrected it in post.

First, I love this add-on. I would need a serious 12 step program to quit using it. Thanks so much for the hard work.
Not sure this is the right place to post.. but 5.2.1 alpha 6 is just not working. The biggest problem is that the quest menu will not open after I have opened the quest log (!). In other words, it just stays minimized when I click the arrow.
The odd part is that PRIOR to opening the quest log (!), it will not minimize. lol

Thats the biggest issue because it makes it non-functional.

I should also add that since the 5.2 WoW patch I now have several version/releases of Carbonite in my add-ons. So, when I select which modules to load I am not absolutely positive of which ones I should be selecting.
I did try various combinations of modules though, and all loads were equally non-functional.

I hope this is helpful, and thanks again for the great add-on.

Last edited by Squishery : 03-11-13 at 09:59 AM.

03-10-13, 10:37 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not sure what version that is, but you should probably download the latest stable release version, 5.1.5 from here.

Delete all of the Carbonite folders from your Addons directory, and then install the newly downloaded ones.

If Carbonite is still acting strange, you will need to delete any and all related Carbonite files from within the WTF subfolders. Those being the main SavedVariables folder, and from the other SavedVariables folders inside of each of your characters folders. The file names you are looking for to delete are called Carbonite.lua and Carbonite.lua.bak

Easiest way to remove them all in one shot; open the WTF folder in Windows and at the top in the Search field type in the word Carbonite. Highlight any files related to Carbonite and delete them all. NOTE: This resets Carbonite back to it's default settings, but should ensure a clean install of the addon so that you don't get anymore wonky behavior from it.

03-11-13, 09:53 AM   #3
Squishery
A Murloc Raider
Yes, I had already tried 5.15 and It did not work for me either. The problems were too numerous to list here in a helpful manner. Suffice to say that it loaded but was simply not functional.

That's why I downloaded the latest alpha 5.2.1 alpha6 (which I typo'd in my OP and will now fix).
It over-all worked much better (a few quirks), with the exception of the quest-list / quest log problems that I described in the OP.

Thanks for the great advice... I dont mind losing all other settings but I did have a considerable number of notes that I would like to keep.
Which file/s should I save in order to keep them? ..and which files and where should I replace in order to recover them?

Thanks again!

03-12-13, 11:09 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hmmm, I won't lie. I don't know.

Hopefully someone who knows the answer will chime in.

03-12-13, 11:46 AM   #5
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
You could try downloading Curse Client to manage your addons.

03-12-13, 12:27 PM   #6
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by WOWVern View Post
You could try downloading Curse Client to manage your addons.
Curse seems to be causing more problems then fixing in this situation, only because of just how drastically different alpha is from stable, which is my fault...

03-12-13, 12:53 PM   #7
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
The really cool thing is that the Client overwrites all previous versions, leaving you with the most recent. I've had no problems with it since I installed it 3 years ago.

03-12-13, 01:25 PM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by WOWVern View Post
The really cool thing is that the Client overwrites all previous versions, leaving you with the most recent. I've had no problems with it since I installed it 3 years ago.
And that's the current problem.... with the way i've done things, curse is not overwriting the previous versions, and people are ending up with half new half old non-working install.

03-14-13, 10:04 AM   #9
Squishery
A Murloc Raider
Thanks to all for the help. Being new here, its great to find such a knowledgeable crew here at WI.
I am happy to report that Carbonite is once again functional on my system. heyhey

I had to go into the Wow add ons directory, the "saved variables" directories under account and under each character and remove all .lua and .bak files referring to Carbonite. Then did a fresh install of the current stable release (5.1.6??.. pretty sure) and whalla! Success!

There are a few buggeries (like no colored quest zones, and it wanting to load/track very old quests every time I log on) but it is functional across most major needs (Map, Goto points, quests). I have not tried every feature yet.
I did save all of the old files (in a recreation of their previously installed directory structure) in hope that I will somehow be able to use them to reclaim the notes that I had already done.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my old notes to the new install? Im thinking its just a matter of editing a lua file to have the appropriate tags/pointers... but Im no developer. The last thing I coded was a batch (bat) file in DOS. :>

Some help there would be highly appreciated. Thanks again.

03-14-13, 08:03 PM   #10
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The Curse Client should not be overwriting AddOn folders; it is not designed that way. What it does when updating is download the latest version of an AddOn from Curse's database, cache the download, delete the entire AddOn folder or folders from the Interface\AddOns folder, move the cached version into the Interface\AddOns folder.

In Carbonite's case, the CC does this:
  1. Download Carbonite.zip
  2. Puts Carbonite.zip into cache memory
  3. Deletes Carbonite* folders from Interface\AddOns
  4. Unzips Carbonite.zip
  5. Moves the new Carbonite* folders into Interface\AddOns
There is no "half and half" with the Curse Client. It is all or nothing. People with "half and half" AddOns are manually updating and not using the Curse Client. Minion, when that worked, did the same thing as the Curse Client. Always performing a clean install of the AddOn's folder(s), which, for those curious, means the CC and Minion did not touch the WTF folder unless the user specifically used the settings cleaner tool in the Curse Client.

Because of the delete and replace methodology, what could happen is a user might be using old saved variables with the new build of Carbonite, which lies squarely with the user, not the Curse Client.

03-14-13, 10:11 PM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
The Curse Client should not be overwriting AddOn folders; it is not designed that way. What it does when updating is download the latest version of an AddOn from Curse's database, cache the download, delete the entire AddOn folder or folders from the Interface\AddOns folder, move the cached version into the Interface\AddOns folder.

In Carbonite's case, the CC does this:
  1. Download Carbonite.zip
  2. Puts Carbonite.zip into cache memory
  3. Deletes Carbonite* folders from Interface\AddOns
  4. Unzips Carbonite.zip
  5. Moves the new Carbonite* folders into Interface\AddOns
There is no "half and half" with the Curse Client. It is all or nothing. People with "half and half" AddOns are manually updating and not using the Curse Client. Minion, when that worked, did the same thing as the Curse Client. Always performing a clean install of the AddOn's folder(s), which, for those curious, means the CC and Minion did not touch the WTF folder unless the user specifically used the settings cleaner tool in the Curse Client.

Because of the delete and replace methodology, what could happen is a user might be using old saved variables with the new build of Carbonite, which lies squarely with the user, not the Curse Client.

Good to know.. i've never used either one, just knew people have been reporting errors, which ended up being from parts of the alpha still installed like Carbonite.Quests and Carbonite.Warehouse while Carbonite itself was back to 5.1 series, and they said they used curse, so I made the assumption that's what was causing the half installs.

03-15-13, 12:27 AM   #12
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
Thank you for the clarification, myrrodin. I have a problem explaining things and my post definitely needed a clarification added to it.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » 5.16a just not working