03-26-06, 11:56 AM   #1
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I need help knowing what all AOEs are for my anti-DK addon

I need help with another thing in this anti-DK mod I'm making. I posted the following to Blizzard's UI forum... I'll post it here too. (Basicly, I need to make sure I have all the text strings of all the abilities that could possibly harm a Civilian if a Civilian is near... for example "Holy Nova"):

My post to Blizzard's UI forum:

I'm working on an addon that will help players avoid Dishonorable Kills during city/town raids. (It'll have a feature where the raid leader can easily tell if everyone in the raid has this addon enabled, so it should be good.)

I need help with one feature that I'm making though. Let's say you're an Alliance Mage and you invade Crossroads in a raid group. If the addon sees that your zone name is Crossroads, it will block you from using AOEs.

The problem is that I need to know all the text strings of any spells/actions that could hit Civilians without the Civilians being targetted, such as Mage AOEs. I primarily only play a level 60 priest, so my famaliarity with all the names of the other classes' abilities is low.

I've put together the following list of what my addon blocks from what I've gathered so far in my research of the classes' abilities... I need to know if anything is missing or if anything should be removed from the list:

Priests:
- Holy Nova

Mages:
- Arcane Explosion
- Flamestrike
- Blizzard
- Cone of Cold
- Blast Wave
- (Please let me know if I forgot any mage AOEs)

Hunter:
- Multi-shot

Warrior:
- Thunderclap: I realize this is a very short range spell (I actually do have a Warrior who's about level 11). It could still hit Civilians even if they're untargeted, right?
- Cleave: I have the same question for this that I do for Thunderclap. Should I block it or no?

Paladin:
- Retribution Aura: I don't have a pally character, but from the description of this one, it seems like it might hurt a Civilian?? Is that possible?

Shaman:
- Searing Totem: I don't have a Shaman either... do Civilians get hurt if this Totem is placed near them?

Anyway, let me know if I'm forgetting to block something or if I'm blocking something that shouldn't be blocked. I would love to complete my addon and bring World PvP back to WOW. Remember... my addon will have a raid scanning feature where the raid leader can scan to make sure everyone has the addon active... thus, ensuring that you can raid towns/cities without any Dishonorable Kills. So help me!
03-26-06, 03:29 PM   #2
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks to some tips from Blizzard's UI forum, I have made the following changes:

Added to the block list:
Frost Nova
Consecration

Removed from the block list:
Retribution Aura

Anybody have any more suggestions?
03-26-06, 03:48 PM   #3
Kremonte
A Murloc Raider
Hellfire and Rain of Fire,
Volley,
Fire Nova Totem? (unsure),
Swipe (druid bear),
Whirlwind,
Sweeping Strikes (along the lines of cleave),

edit: I hope there's an option to unblock them =P
03-26-06, 03:48 PM   #4
Slasher2
A Kobold Labourer
Hunter
Multi - Shot
Volley
maybe force them to turn their pet to passive.. if thats possible

i wonder if you could do anything about weapons with aoe procs.... like the fiery enchant you get from that quest and other things
03-26-06, 09:16 PM   #5
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks guys. :-)

As for the option of unblocking AOEs, that'll probably make it into a later version of DKStopper. The problem is that if the player disables things while in a raid/group full of DKStopper users, then there has to be some way for everybody else in the raid to know. That'll take quite a bit of effort to code properly because Blizzard's LUA code is well... brain-twisting. EDIT: I do intend to code a disable feature, but it's got to be done right. For instance, the raid leader using DKStopper ought to be able to prevent everybody in the raid from disabling parts of DKStopper.

The only time the AOEs will be blocked is if DKStopper knows for sure you're in a Civilian area. The DKStopper_data.lua file contains a list of rectangular regions where Civilians are known to roam around. It'll decide whether to block AOEs based on zone names and your player's map coordinates. The database will take some time to develop, since there's a LOT of places to type in (and I'll need others' help on that) so I'm starting out by, let's say... making all of Orgrimmar block the AOEs for the Alliance. But eventually, in future versions, I may discover "safe areas" in Orgrimmar where the blocks can be lifted, and I could add "exception regions" or something like that to the database.

Anyway, you're never going to see DKStopper blocking your AOEs while in a Battleground or an instance or anything like that. That's for sure. DKStopper only reacts to areas that are in its database rather than what's not in it.

Alright, more testing to do... thanks guys.
03-27-06, 12:06 AM   #6
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Alright guys... I have an alpha test ready. Still bugs and issues to be worked out... please read the alpha_test_readme.txt file within:

(EDIT: I, PastaRunner, have removed this link after seeing the below reply by the administrator. I'll get around to uploading it to the Beta section when I get the chance.)

If you're wondering, the list of AOEs is near the top of the DKStopper_data.lua file.

There's still more work to be done before I can truly publish this addon.

Last edited by pastarunner : 03-27-06 at 01:11 PM.
03-27-06, 12:14 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Pastarunner,

Could I ask you to upload to our Beta section in the downloads, please? We don't like having links to offsite files as there is no way we can guarantee their safety. Not saying that you are distributing anything malicious, just there are folks out there that would, so it's the policy we have in place. Hope you can understand.

Thanks,
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-27-06, 11:36 AM   #8
Wikwocket
A Theradrim Guardian
Neat mod idea. Would the mod also want to prevent you from using trinkets with AOE effects, or items like bombs that do AOE damage? I know blocking item use is very different than blocking spellcasts, but I thought I would bring it up as a suggestion.
03-27-06, 01:10 PM   #9
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Pastarunner,

Could I ask you to upload to our Beta section in the downloads, please? We don't like having links to offsite files as there is no way we can guarantee their safety. Not saying that you are distributing anything malicious, just there are folks out there that would, so it's the policy we have in place. Hope you can understand.

Thanks,
Oops... I'll get right to it. Thanks for pointing the rule out.

EDIT: I removed the link from the offending post.
03-27-06, 01:20 PM   #10
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Wikwocket
Neat mod idea. Would the mod also want to prevent you from using trinkets with AOE effects, or items like bombs that do AOE damage? I know blocking item use is very different than blocking spellcasts, but I thought I would bring it up as a suggestion.
Yeah I've added a few engineering items, such as "The Big One"... I don't think I have all of the strings for that yet. I haven't tested them yet though. The block will work for sure if the trinket or bomb is used from the action bar. I think the UseAction hook should catch using items directly from the Inventory window, but I'm not sure... I'll have to test and see.

EDIT: Turns out I'll need to make another hook for using items directly from the Inventory window.

Ok, now for me to go do one last test and then I'll put it up in the Beta section.

Last edited by pastarunner : 03-27-06 at 01:24 PM.
03-27-06, 04:44 PM   #11
pastarunner
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
DKStopper v0.11 has been uploaded to Beta Interfaces and is now awaiting submission approval.

EDIT: DKStopper v0.13 is now available from the Beta Interfaces section, and it works with 1.10.

Last edited by pastarunner : 03-28-06 at 01:48 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » I need help knowing what all AOEs are for my anti-DK addon