09-08-10, 09:14 PM   #1
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
possible new computer

hey everyone i may be looking into replacing my current laptop with another one if i cant fix the current issues im having. my current computer is a Gateway p7805U with the 1920x1200 resolution. was wondering if you think id be able to properly run WoW with the new computer if it comes to that and also what kind of frames i could be looking at while just sitting idle in dalaran (that will give me an approximate of raids and other places.)

# Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz ( Dual-Core )
# Memory: 4 GB / 4 GB (max)
# Hard Drive: 320 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm
# Display Type: 17 in TFT active matrix
# Graphics nVidia Geforce 9800m with 1 gigabyte dedicated memory

started having a possible video card issue. i updated my drivers and everything but im still getting glitched lines through the screen and things

if i have to upgrade to a new computer im looking at samsung R780.

Processor IntelŽ Core™ i5 430
Memory 4 GB (DDR3 / 2 GB x 2)
Display 17.3" LED HD+ (1,600 x 900) 16:9 Gloss
Graphic NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 330M
Graphic Memory 1 GB gDDR3

My main question do you think i will see a drop in performance or a gain? Also if i have to replace this laptop im gonna cry at the loss of screen resolution. caught a picture with my phone as i was playing L4D and this is how it looked

Last edited by maurdr : 09-09-10 at 09:06 AM.
09-09-10, 06:46 AM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would rather consider repairing the old one, or at least trying to find out what's wrong. That sounds like a heat issue maybe. No guarantee left? Customer support? I mean a new one is surely more expansive and the old one doesn't seem to be THAT old, looking on the components.

As for the performance, lower screen resolution means less work for the GPU and that Samsung one seems to have a better GPU and CPU, anyway. Seems like Performance gain inc if you get the new one ...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

09-09-10, 08:05 AM   #3
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I would rather consider repairing the old one, or at least trying to find out what's wrong. That sounds like a heat issue maybe. No guarantee left? Customer support? I mean a new one is surely more expansive and the old one doesn't seem to be THAT old, looking on the components.

As for the performance, lower screen resolution means less work for the GPU and that Samsung one seems to have a better GPU and CPU, anyway. Seems like Performance gain inc if you get the new one ...
i actually wouldnt be forking over any money if i cant repair the current computer. i have a three year replacement plan with best buy which states that they will replace the product if they view it as unfixable after trying to fix it themselves. im taking it in today to see what will happen.

edit: i purchased the computer in febuary of 2009.
09-09-10, 09:19 AM   #4
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you tried to google the graphic glitch issue? Sometimes there is an easy explanation that can lead to a fix, because it happens often for a certain type of hardware.

Anyway, glad to hear, you have a 3 years replacement plan. Seems like you don't need to worry anyway.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

09-09-10, 09:56 AM   #5
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
i hadnt tried that yet. but ill check it out. yeah 300 dollars to cover my *** is worth it in case something was to happen that i couldnt control or fix

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » possible new computer