09-03-07, 06:19 AM   #1
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

No AddOns Button

I followed the directions under How do I install a custom interface? in the FAQ step by step, so my directory looks just the way the correct example image shows - no sub-folders. I installed the Advanced version of CT Mod, Scrolling Combat Text, and Fubar (for which I could not find the download link I used). I only have one WoW directory which is C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\. This is the problem I'm having:

9. Log into game. At the character select screen, there should be an "AddOns" button in the lower left corner. Click on that. If any of the mods in the list that pops up say "out of date" or some such, choose the "Load Outdated AddOns" option.

There is no such button on my screen - neither the character select screen nor the log-in screen. I have ver. 2.1.3 (6898) of the game.
09-03-07, 06:41 AM   #2
Sitanel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

No AddOns Button

If I had to hazard a guess. I'd say that your addons are in the wrong folder. They should be in "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons"

Hoping that's what the problem is, otherwise I'm stumped :P
09-03-07, 07:26 AM   #3
malcite
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Sitanel
If I had to hazard a guess. I'd say that your addons are in the wrong folder. They should be in "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons"

Hoping that's what the problem is, otherwise I'm stumped :P
Aye that is the only error i can think of aswell so if it doesn't work something is wrong with your wow installation cause even the mods that are to old to work at all are detected on that list so anything with the filetypes used to make a mod can be used to show that addons do exist even if they cant be used.
09-03-07, 09:06 AM   #4
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by malcite
...so if it doesn't work something is wrong with your wow installation...
There must be something wrong then because they're all in "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons". I even tried deleting the Scrolling Combat Text folder and reinstalling following their instructions which differs slightly from this site's FAQ in that there are 2 sub-folders within AddOns - stc and stc_options - but that didn't work either. I may try uninstalling/reinstalling the game..
09-03-07, 09:30 AM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Post your complete install path for one mod for us, please?

I know you've got:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons

from your own post. Give us the details from there.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
09-03-07, 11:17 AM   #6
Takatalvi
A Cliff Giant
It should look like ~/Program Files/World Of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/<addon name>/<addon-name.toc>
(the toc is the file that wow reads to load the addon.)

Even if something is out of date, missing, or deleted, It will still load if the .toc file is in that place.

Example: ~/Program Files/World Of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/FuBar/FuBar.toc

Last edited by Takatalvi : 09-03-07 at 11:21 AM.
09-03-07, 12:54 PM   #7
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Post your complete install path for one mod for us, please?

I know you've got:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons

from your own post. Give us the details from there.

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\MyCT_Mods\(then all of the mod files without any sub-folders - the list is quite extensive)

As I posted earlier, I installed the advanced version of CTMod which includes several different mods. The following .toc files are all within the "MyCT_Mods" folder:

CT_BarMod.toc, CT_BottomBar.toc, CT_BuffMod.toc, CT_Core.toc, CT_ExpenseHistory.toc, CT_MailMod.toc, CT_PartyBuffs.toc, CT_RABossMods.toc, CT_RaidAssist.toc, CT_Timer.toc, CT_UnitFrames.toc, CT_Viewport.toc

In addition to these there are numerous xml documents, .lua and .tga files.
09-03-07, 02:10 PM   #8
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Erurainon
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\MyCT_Mods\(then all of the mod files without any sub-folders - the list is quite extensive)

As I posted earlier, I installed the advanced version of CTMod which includes several different mods. The following .toc files are all within the "MyCT_Mods" folder:

CT_BarMod.toc, CT_BottomBar.toc, CT_BuffMod.toc, CT_Core.toc, CT_ExpenseHistory.toc, CT_MailMod.toc, CT_PartyBuffs.toc, CT_RABossMods.toc, CT_RaidAssist.toc, CT_Timer.toc, CT_UnitFrames.toc, CT_Viewport.toc

In addition to these there are numerous xml documents, .lua and .tga files.
Looks like you did not select "keep path" or something similar when you extracted the addons. They should not be all merged like this, you should have one folder per addon:
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\CT_BarMod
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\CT_BottomBar
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\CT_BuffMod
and in each folder you should have the corresponding .toc and other lua/xml files inside. If not WoW is not going to recognize the addons.
09-03-07, 06:43 PM   #9
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Kaomie, thanks for the reply. I noted somewhere (not sure if on these forums or what site) that someone said to enable "keep directory structure" or words to that effect, however when I went to extract the files I could find no options other than browsing for whichever path I wanted it to take. Which extraction program are you referring to when you say it looks like I did not select "keep path"?
09-03-07, 09:54 PM   #10
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Kaomie, thanks for the reply. I noted somewhere (not sure if on these forums or what site) that someone said to enable "keep directory structure" or words to that effect, however when I went to extract the files I could find no options other than browsing for whichever path I wanted it to take. Which extraction program are you referring to when you say it looks like I did not select "keep path"?
If you use WinZip it should be called something of the like "Use folder names". Make sure this is checked when you are extracting. The easiest way is to simply right-click the ZIP file and select "Extract to here". It should spawn all the addons folders right next to the ZIP archive. Just drag-and-drop them to your Interface\Addons directory.
09-03-07, 10:01 PM   #11
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Kaomie
If you use WinZip it should be called something of the like "Use folder names". Make sure this is checked when you are extracting. The easiest way is to simply right-click the ZIP file and select "Extract to here". It should spawn all the addons folders right next to the ZIP archive. Just drag-and-drop them to your Interface\Addons directory.
Unfortunately, I don't have WinZip; although I may decide to pick up an extraction program if I have to redo all these mod installs again. lol I manually dragged and dropped all the files and created new folders for each CT mod in my AddOns folder; however I STILL don't see an "AddOns" button anywhere.. =(
09-03-07, 10:21 PM   #12
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Unfortunately, I don't have WinZip; although I may decide to pick up an extraction program if I have to redo all these mod installs again. lol I manually dragged and dropped all the files and created new folders for each CT mod in my AddOns folder; however I STILL don't see an "AddOns" button anywhere.. =(
Well if you use Windows built-in support for ZIP archives then just right-click the ZIP file and select "Extract all...". It works just the same way.
09-03-07, 10:27 PM   #13
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Ok, well that's what I've been using and I still don't see an AddOns button anywhere in the log-in or character selection screens. Neither do I see any evidence of the mods in-game. I just finished re-doing my SCT mods folders per the FAQ, however the install.txt included with the mod says to to do it differently, ie:

The following folder paths will exist within your WoW Install directory:

SCT:
Interface\AddOns\sct\
Interface\AddOns\sct\fonts
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs\Ace2
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs\Babble-Spell-2.2
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs\ParserLib
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs\SharedMediaLib
Interface\AddOns\sct\libs\SpecialEvents-Aura-2.0
Interface\AddOns\sct_options

SCTD:
Interface\AddOns\sctd
Interface\AddOns\sctd_options

Look for the following (wrong) files as evidence of common mistakes:

* If you have Interface\AddOns\sct.toc
... then you've extracted the zip file's contents without its
folder structure, or copied the contents without the parent
folder.

But then it says to refer to this site's FAQ if you need additional help which tells you NOT to place sub-folders within the mod folder! I've tried it both ways anyway and neither worked. :sigh:
09-03-07, 10:53 PM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Okay, back to basics. Using CT_BarMod as our example. Your path for it (and the accompanying files) should be:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CT_BarMod\CT_BarMod.toc

The folder name has to be the same as the .toc.

By sub-folders we mean that some mod authors put their zip files like:

Interface\Addons\CT_Bar\files

or

Addons\CT_Bar\files

or

CT_Bar2.3.1\CT_Bar\files

etc

See what I mean?
09-03-07, 11:02 PM   #15
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

See what I mean?
Umm.. kinda. I get it with the last one - obviously that would be too deep. But following your back-to-basics example of the CT_BarMod folder, here's mine:

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CT_BarMod\CT_BarMod.toc

which as you can see looks perfect. Now, also within that CT_BarMod folder I have the following files:

CT_BarMod.lua, CT_BarMod_Edit.lua, CT_BarMod_EditOptions.lua, CT_BarMod_Groups.lua, CT_BarMod_Options.lua, CT_BarMod_Use.lua, CT_Library.lua, recycleBin.tga, and recycleBinHighlight.tga

Is this correct?
09-03-07, 11:05 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup. And with just that one, try logging in. You should see the addon button now, and clicking on it, you should see the mod listed. (Although it may be red, telling you that it has missing dependencies)

The problem with the first two examples I gave was that if you went into your self made addon folder and extracted it there, you'd get

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Interface\AddOns\CT_BarMod\files

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-03-07 at 11:08 PM.
09-03-07, 11:06 PM   #17
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

And you are 100% positive WoW is installed in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\ ?
Not on another drive? Not somewhere else with maybe a typo in the path?
09-03-07, 11:14 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
And you are 100% positive WoW is installed in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\ ?
Not on another drive? Not somewhere else with maybe a typo in the path?
That's my next verification.
09-03-07, 11:18 PM   #19
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

That's my next verification.
Well the whole thing just reminds me how much I like distributing my compilation using InnoSetup. Saves a lot of troubles
09-04-07, 04:42 AM   #20
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Yup. And with just that one, try logging in.
What do you mean "with just that one, try logging in"?

And you are 100% positive WoW is installed in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\ ? Not on another drive? Not somewhere else with maybe a typo in the path?
Yes. I only have 1 drive. There is no other WoW directory, however the mod files still exist within the original downloaded zip file within a folder named "My Downloads" which is not in Program Files at all.

[edit]I'd like to thank everyone who has replied in here. I'm being patient and I most certainly do not want to sound like a whiny brat lol; but I really, really would like to get some of these mods working - for instance to be able to see map coordinates onscreen would be extremely helpful. =)

You know, I just thought of something.. Back when I was having camera angle problems I contacted the GMs for a solution (see my thread of the same name) and one of them advised me to log out; delete the WTF, Cache, and Interface folders; delete any 3rd-party programs (there were none at the time); empty the recycle bin and reboot. Would the absence of the WTF and Cache folders have anything to do with my current problem of seeing no AddOns button onscreen?[/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-04-07 at 08:09 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » No AddOns Button