10-26-14, 04:44 PM   #1
gwyd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
UNIT_SPELLCAST_SENT not firing

For some reason, I'm not seeing UNIT_SPELLCAST_SENT firing for me (or more likely I'm not bound to it somehow).

I tried building a new frame from the console in game and registering on that (shamelessly stolen from a post by haste a few years ago) and that does catch the event as expected:

Lua Code:
  1. f = CreateFrame'Frame' f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SENT") f:SetScript("OnEvent", function(...) print(...) end)

You can see the code here: Github, but the general idea is that it's calling oUF:RegisterEvent and passing a callback function. I'm doing this with other events successfully.

Any thoughts or areas to look at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
11-08-14, 10:58 AM   #2
Pyrates
A Cliff Giant

Seems to fire ok for me in a short test, any specific circumstances?
11-08-14, 02:32 PM   #3
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you tried checking before your "caster" check?
Have you tried forcing the event to be unitless (just for the sake of testing) by setting the 3rd argument of frame:RegisterEvent() to true?
11-09-14, 09:06 AM   #4
gwyd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Have you tried forcing the event to be unitless (just for the sake of testing) by setting the 3rd argument of frame:RegisterEvent() to true?
This fixes it. Any thoughts on why the event isn't firing on the unit in this case? Also, thanks for the help.
11-09-14, 09:15 AM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by gwyd View Post
This fixes it. Any thoughts on why the event isn't firing on the unit in this case? Also, thanks for the help.
When you register a UNIT_* event on a frame in oUF, it ties the unit the event fires for to the unit associated with the frame.
So, if you register say UNIT_HEALTH on your player frame, the function will only fire if the event fired for the player unit.
The 3rd argument to frame:RegisterEvent() is to override this check, which is why the argument is called "unitless"

See this source for more details:
https://github.com/haste/oUF/blob/ma...s.lua#L53-L100

In the past, oUF's event handler checked everything itself, but somewhere during Cata or Mists we got a new method called RegisterUnitEvent to do this work for us, and is what oUF uses today.
11-09-14, 09:17 PM   #6
gwyd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » UNIT_SPELLCAST_SENT not firing